The Future of Neftali Feliz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Future of Neftali Feliz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Future of Neftali Feliz

Postby triple3play » Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Do you think is long term future is the shutdown closer or will they attempt to put him back in the rotation??
triple3play
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Future of Neftali Feliz

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue May 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Cant remember who said it, but "failed starters are relivers."
He is too talented to be wasted as a reliever.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 18, 2010 2:47 pm

It depends on if he can learn and control a good curveball. Right now he's a 2-3 pitch pitcher (depending on how the slider is working). When the curveball is on he's unhittable, but many times he can't seem to control it enough.

I think the Rangers will give him every opportunity to make it as a starter over the next 2-3 years. However with the glut of young, talented starters they have in Holland, Hunter, Harrison, and even Hurley and McCarthy if they every get/stay healthy (also remember the name Martin Perez), they may end up using him as a closer. With his stuff he has potential to be one of the elite closers in the league, and that has value to. More value than if he ends up just being a good starter IMO.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby HighHeater » Tue May 18, 2010 8:43 pm

A guy i might be concerned with getting a shot over Feliz is Tanner Scheppers. He's been on two inning counts but I heard he's going to be stretched out come next season for their rotation. Scheppers has better stuff then Feliz and Perez in my opinion and the only thing really holding that kid back was a scare to his shoulder pre-draft. He looked like the most dominate pitcher to me in the AFL though and is putting up video game numbers in AA/AAA. He'll be up in the pen for sure in Tex this year sometime soon but i think wil get a chance before Feliz does imo.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Saltydog » Tue May 18, 2010 11:12 pm

I love me some "Easy Cheese Feliz".

I don't think he'll be starting until next year. Scheppers is still 2 years away.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby mac-unit » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 am

Saltydog wrote:I love me some "Easy Cheese Feliz".

I don't think he'll be starting until next year. Scheppers is still 2 years away.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't think he will be up this year. But by the end of this season he should be streched out enough to make 5 or 6 inning starts in AAA. So by next June/July he should be ready to start on the major league level.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:58 am

HighHeater wrote:A guy i might be concerned with getting a shot over Feliz is Tanner Scheppers. He's been on two inning counts but I heard he's going to be stretched out come next season for their rotation. Scheppers has better stuff then Feliz and Perez in my opinion and the only thing really holding that kid back was a scare to his shoulder pre-draft. He looked like the most dominate pitcher to me in the AFL though and is putting up video game numbers in AA/AAA. He'll be up in the pen for sure in Tex this year sometime soon but i think wil get a chance before Feliz does imo.

6 BB in 8 IP so far in AAA isn't too impressive. Definitely dominant in AA but it looks like he's going to need an adjustment period before he becomes relevant on the MLB stage.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby kab21 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
HighHeater wrote:A guy i might be concerned with getting a shot over Feliz is Tanner Scheppers. He's been on two inning counts but I heard he's going to be stretched out come next season for their rotation. Scheppers has better stuff then Feliz and Perez in my opinion and the only thing really holding that kid back was a scare to his shoulder pre-draft. He looked like the most dominate pitcher to me in the AFL though and is putting up video game numbers in AA/AAA. He'll be up in the pen for sure in Tex this year sometime soon but i think wil get a chance before Feliz does imo.

6 BB in 8 IP so far in AAA isn't too impressive. Definitely dominant in AA but it looks like he's going to need an adjustment period before he becomes relevant on the MLB stage.

Statistical arguments shouldn't really be used for 8 inning sample sizes.

Scheppers is the kind of guy that kind fly thru a system and the only thing holding him back right now is durability (and building up his pitch counts).

The only thing holding Feliz back from the rotation is that he's in the bullpen instead of in AAA working on his secondary pitches (80% fastballs this year) and building up his pitch counts. That's not how you develop a starter but the Rangers need him in the bullpen. And i wouldn't be surprised if Scheppers is called up in August to strengthen their bullpen instead of continuing to get stretched out.

Slightly unrelated to this is the difference in handling between Feliz, Mejia and Chapman. I've comped all 3 to each other (chapman is a lefty) since they each have plus or plusplus fastballs but questionable secondary (with mejia the weakest of the 3). Feliz is closing for a competitive team, Chapman is in AAA improving as a starter and Mejia spent a month and a half working in the bullpen for a what will be an uncompetitive team. And now he has to get stretched out again.

Personally I have my doubts about whether or not Feliz makes it back into the rotation but i'm crazy jealous of the Rangers young pitching. Holland, Feliz, Scheppers and Perez. :-L
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 19, 2010 1:54 pm

kab21 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

Statistical arguments shouldn't really be used for 8 inning sample sizes.

Nor should the be used for 19 IP sample sizes. Point is, don't call it a sure thing that he'll be called up this year.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby kab21 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Nor should the be used for 19 IP sample sizes. Point is, don't call it a sure thing that he'll be called up this year.

Weren't the arguments about Scheppers about how good his stuff is? And it wasn't being based on statistics but rather scouting reports.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers