Fantasy Baseball Survey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasy Baseball Survey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fantasy Baseball Survey

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 19, 2010 10:16 pm

This last season, I averaged about 150 points a week for the last 6 weeks before the semifinal, and led the league in scoring overall. My opponent was dead last in scoring (averaging like 90 points a week and never surpassing 115), checked his team exactly once (to trade Chris Johnson for LT and Julius Jones), and fielded a couple injured players, but due to his W-L record, he squeaked into the playoffs. The week I faced him, I scored 125 and he scored 127.

The final was the lowest scoring team facing the third lowest scoring team (who also never checked her team). The final score was like 75-67 with a solid 1/3 of either team either injured or having been benched for weeks. We got beaten by a girl. It was humiliating. :-/

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed May 19, 2010 10:23 pm

knapplc wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:But you can't just win with a couple good running backs as was implied.

Everyone who's been in a league where a guy has won the league with an average team and two good running backs, raise your hand.

(knapplc raises hand)

;-D Does a thumb work?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 19, 2010 11:13 pm

In my dynasty last year I had Chris Johnson, MJD and Thomas Jones.....and I lost in the semis :~(

Dominated all year only to to finish out of the big money b/c of one bad day.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:In my dynastast year I had Chris Johnson, MJD and Thomas Jones.....and I lost in the semis :~(

Dominat

ERROR....reboot.
Mookie4ever wrote:In my dynasty last year I had Chris Johnson, MJD and Thomas Jones.....and I lost in the semis :~(

Dominated all year only to to finish out of the big money b/c of one bad day.

Did I mention that I was the guy that traded LT/JJ for CJ? :~(

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 am

fantasyPHD wrote:Do you think as FF players realize it is just luck they will switch to fantasy baseball? Would you ever stop playing fantasy football all-together?

I don't think so and in fact, the "any given Sunday" randomness about FF (just like the NFL) keeps FF players interested year in and year out. Personally, most of my friends love FF for that reason, but they wouldn't welcome an invitation to play fantasy baseball because it requires for more day-to-day dedication and if it's a roto league, the greater sense of predictability would drive them away from ever trying it.

Yes, I've stopped playing FF for a year or two. Realizing it was luck was one reason, but another reason was because I had no time to prepare for FF draft day, still putting all of my fantasy efforts on baseball. With each year, the NFL bores me to death (game too slow, too many commercial breaks) and that also played a part. I played in FF the last couple of seasons and while I was a good sport about being active, I was just disinterested in general. Last year, I had Chris Johnson and nothing else on one of my teams, added Jamaal Charles when he won the starting job in KC, and won out of a 2-6 record up until losing in the semis. It was a nice run, but I also realized it was a travesty if I did win because I didn't even give half of a half-assed effort. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby fantasyPHD » Thu May 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Great stuff. Next question. Has your interest in fantasy baseball affected your interest in your favorite team? That is, are you less interested in your favorite team now because you have a stake in different players?
fantasyPHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 pm

fantasyPHD wrote:Great stuff. Next question. Has your interest in fantasy baseball affected your interest in your favorite team? That is, are you less interested in your favorite team now because you have a stake in different players?

When I first started out, I paid a little more attention to the fantasy team than I did with the Dodgers. As I had taken on more leagues and as time wore on, I was more interested in the Dodgers playing well than my fantasy teams prospering.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
fantasyPHD wrote:Great stuff. Next question. Has your interest in fantasy baseball affected your interest in your favorite team? That is, are you less interested in your favorite team now because you have a stake in different players?

When I first started out, I paid a little more attention to the fantasy team than I did with the Dodgers. As I had taken on more leagues and as time wore on, I was more interested in the Dodgers playing well than my fantasy teams prospering.

I can attest to this point as well.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby knapplc » Thu May 20, 2010 1:28 pm

No, but then again I'm a Cubs fan. I've got decades to wait before anything significant happens with my MLB team.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shawngee03 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:52 pm

im surprised i went through 5 pages so far and nobody has mentioned Branden Webb....i mean fantasy basketball :-D

i know baseball and football get all the attention..but to me basketball is right up there w baseball in skill and strategy. i actually enjoy setting up a basketball team more than baseball, and of course more than football(as its all luck :-b )

in basketball, each player can contribute in each cat, you can punt cats easier so setting up a team w an identity is fun, you watch for playing time liek the other sports, and player values stay pretty consistent from year to year(unlike football) so keeper leaguers are easier and less luck involved come draft day

i would be interested in what the basketball side of the cafe has to say about this thread
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk