Fantasy Baseball Survey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasy Baseball Survey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fantasy Baseball Survey

Postby knapplc » Wed May 19, 2010 10:23 am

I started in fantasy football as well, and started playing fantasy baseball several years later.

It's hard to say why fantasy football gets more players. Maybe because it's easier (hence the moron and buffoon comments) and because luck is such a huge factor in fantasy football. The way most football leagues are set up, you have to guess at a couple of top RBs, and once you do, you're golden. The season is much shorter so the sample size is much smaller, making luck a much larger component.

I had a guy win the league I used to run who ignored his team from about October 1 on - never logged on to the site, never changed his lineup, etc. It's hard to stomach when you're actively trying to make something of your team and an inactive member wins the championship.

I've been playing fantasy football since 1990, and I'm about 90% sure I'm cutting ties to the last two leagues I'm in this year. It's just not worth it.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRock » Wed May 19, 2010 10:30 am

fantasyPHD wrote:Thanks guys. I have gotten some great responses.

Why do you think Fantasy Football is more popular (19 million participants) than Fantasy Baseball (9 million)? Do you think as FF players realize it is just luck they will switch to fantasy baseball? Would you ever stop playing fantasy football all-together?

For starters, I think football has surpassed baseball in fan base. Don't feel like googling it, I might be wrong. The game itself is much simpler, making it easy for anyone to play. The head-to-head aspect I think is key in football, you actually get to see your team crush another.

And I wouldn't say it's entirely luck. Just a lot more luck than in baseball. I don't think there's any chance fantasy football ever goes away. It takes so little effort to play it and it can be a lot of fun. You can throw a league together with a bunch of friends or co-workers and have a pretty competitive league.

Fantasy baseball, roto in particular, are for more diehard players. Baseball itself wears down many players just due to the length of the season. But actually actively managing your team every day for 6 months takes some discipline.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am

It's more popular for a few reasons...for starters, the NFL is more popular than MLB in general, so the fanbase is larger. Also, because there's more luck involved, people probably feel as if they have a chance of winning even if they are only casual fans of the NFL (the same reason that people who couldn't name two players and have never watched a college basketball game take part in bracket pools every year for the NCAA tournament). Also, not only is the season shorter, but you can basically just take five minutes to set your roster on Saturday and be good to go for Sunday, so the time commitment is far less. The subtle roster changes and daily (depending on the league) moves that fantasy baseball requires and that attract many of us to fantasy baseball don't appeal to a lot of casual fans.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasyPHD » Wed May 19, 2010 10:42 am

Great stuff!
fantasyPHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fantasyPHD » Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am

Since it requires more work, do you think there will ever come a time where you wont be able to keep up with your fantasy baseball teams?

I see a lot of you are in SEVERAL leagues. How do you do it?
fantasyPHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby knapplc » Wed May 19, 2010 11:26 am

Internet automation makes it pretty easy. It also helps if you're in a number of weekly lineup leagues, so you only have to change lineups once, then you're done.

I don't know how people do it in several daily lineup leagues. I'm only in one, and I forget to change it all the time.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 19, 2010 11:33 am

knapplc wrote:I don't know how people do it in several daily lineup leagues. I'm only in one, and I forget to change it all the time.

It might be a bit different/easier for me because I'm down here, but I set them every night before I go to bed. The games usually start at 3am, so I'm not usually available to make game-time decisions.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby j24jags » Wed May 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Done.

I think the biggest reasons for fantasy football being more popular than fantasy baseball are as follows:
1) The NFL has more fans than the MLB.
2) Fantasy football requires much less skill, it is head to head and just 16-17 weeks.
3) Fantasy football requires much less checking. You can look at your team 18 times in an entire season and field a competitive team (Once at the draft, then once a week afterwards). In baseball, you must set your lineup about 180 times. It takes much more dedication/work.

Overall, FF is much more simplistic than FB.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby urbanbreez » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Wow, there is a tremendous amount of fantasy baseball bias around here. How shocking. :-b ;-7

2) Fantasy football requires much less skill, it is head to head and just 16-17 weeks.

I totally disagree with this first part. There are tons of variables to look at when drafting, setting your lineup, and crafting a team during the year in fantasy football... if you plan to win. Can you be lazy and come in middle of the pack or make the playoffs with some luck? Sure. Same goes for fantasy baseball. But you can't just win with a couple good running backs as was implied. And if an owner abandoned his team for half the year and still won the championship, you may want to find a more competitive league. That wouldn't fly in any of mine.

Football is more convenient, we can agree on that, since most games happen on Sunday, with a few exceptions. But I'm not in the camp of "FFB is for morons." You have to know what you're doing to win, just like in fantasy baseball.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 pm

urbanbreez wrote:But you can't just win with a couple good running backs as was implied.

Everyone who's been in a league where a guy has won the league with an average team and two good running backs, raise your hand.

(knapplc raises hand)
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk