An excercise in team talent evaluation - rank these teams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An excercise in team talent evaluation - rank these teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

An excercise in team talent evaluation - rank these teams

Postby cs3 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:37 am

i'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, so mods feel free to move it if needed.

we are now about 1/4 of the way through the fantasy season, so i thought it would be interesting to post the rosters from my 10 team league and have forum members evaluate each team and predict the finishing order.
if you dont want to rank each team (i dont expect everyone to have the time or desire for full evaluations) feel free to just list what you feel are the top 3, and bottom 3 teams.

any thoughts on things that jump out at you on any particular roster are welcom as well.

if enough people show interest, i'll post the current standings at the end of this week so everyone can see how close their rankings were to the actual scores, and then update it weekly until the end of the season.

this is a 10 team H2H league with
R H HR RBI SB AVG
W SV K ERA WHIP QS
(i know, kinda weird stats/roster spots, but i didnt have a say in the the rules used for this league)

cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: An excercise in team talent evaluation - rank these teams

Postby interchange » Tue May 18, 2010 10:05 am

bye bye babies :-L
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cs3 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:07 pm

interchange wrote:bye bye babies :-L

ya he drafted a strong team to begin with then several of the other owners made completely braindead trades (probably veto-able in many leagues) with him.

anyone else wanna give some quick rankings?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue May 18, 2010 7:23 pm

So this is a game? You want to see who can come closest to your actual league standings?

If that's the case then I don't really see the point. We can't see trades and/or add drops so we have no idea which teams are active and who is likely to be moving up/down in the standings. The best team at this point in time isn't necessarily in first place. Especially considering there is a sizable amount of luck involved in H2H leagues at this point depending on how well their opponents have been playing at the time they faced them (this will even out over the course of the season).

This was an interesting idea but unless I'm missing something I don't think it will work very well.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 pm

I don't see Dexter Fowler so none of those teams can be very good.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby cs3 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:So this is a game? You want to see who can come closest to your actual league standings?

If that's the case then I don't really see the point. We can't see trades and/or add drops so we have no idea which teams are active and who is likely to be moving up/down in the standings. The best team at this point in time isn't necessarily in first place. Especially considering there is a sizable amount of luck involved in H2H leagues at this point depending on how well their opponents have been playing at the time they faced them (this will even out over the course of the season).

This was an interesting idea but unless I'm missing something I don't think it will work very well.

each week i will post a new screenshot and make note of any trades/adds/drops for each team.
ill post the current standings in a day or so, so if you want you can just porject the rankings from here on out thats perfectly fine.

i realize that this would work much better in a roto points league than for H2H, but this is the first year ive done fantasy baseball and im only in this one leaugue, so its all i have to work with...
knowing what little i know now after a couple months reseaching as much as i can everyday (and granted, i still dont know much at all)
i would have set up the league with much different categorical different settings, and a different roster structure... out of my control at this point tho.

my main objective was to see if the most talented* teams finish at the top of the standings, and how close the correllation is
if they dont, it could show a general lack of talent evaluational skill that can be improved upon
anyway feel free to participate as much or little as you want
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cs3 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I don't see Dexter Fowler so none of those teams can be very good.

ya but strasburg is rostered so at least one of those teams must be world class!
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers