Tulowitzki's lack of Power ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tulowitzki's lack of Power ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tulowitzki's lack of Power ...

Postby Tony Micelli » Mon May 17, 2010 11:37 pm

139 at bats so far ... and 1 HR.

I know he starts off slow, but this is ridiculous. The average and doubles are there, but as a tulo owner (who spent an early pick on him) I'm kinda worried. I'd have to say there's no way he comes close to the 32 HR's he hit last year. (I kinda thought that was anomaly too)

Can any Rockie's fans shed any light on tulo's power outage?
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tulowitzki's lack of Power ...

Postby JMB05 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Drafting Tulo this year was risky business, which it sounds like you knew.

The guy broke out and you paid for him to repeat it.

This won't give you any solace in your pick, but this is a guy who I will very much target next year, because his numbers will be good, but because he didn't meet the expectations of his owners the year before his draft value will likely plummet.

Back to making you feel better. Tulo's fine. Drafting a guy who historically doesn't hit until june, and then worrying before June is a little silly, no?
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Tony Micelli » Tue May 18, 2010 12:07 am

JMB05 wrote:Drafting Tulo this year was risky business, which it sounds like you knew.

This won't give you any solace in your pick, but this is a guy who I will very much target next year, because his numbers will be good, but because he didn't meet the expectations of his owners the year before his draft value will likely plummet.

Back to making you feel better. Tulo's fine. Drafting a guy who historically doesn't hit until june, and then worrying before June is a little silly, no?

Oh, is that what it is? So, based on his 2 previous injury free years of at least 500 AB's ... he doesn't hit until June?

Sorry brah, I can't say I put forth that kind of effort to investigate 'when he 'historically starts hitting' I'll make sure to take note of that now, though.

And I didn't pay for him to repeat anything. I did however expect him to ... perhaps build on his game and numbers from his previous seasons? Or at least come kinda close.

Y'know, because he is 26 and entering his prime as one of the most widely thought of best young players in the game, and plays in Colorado in a strong lineup.

But still, I guess it's silly of me to question why he only has 1 HR in 139 AB's, yeah? :-?
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Midnight_Toker » Tue May 18, 2010 8:29 am

JMB05 wrote:Drafting Tulo this year was risky business, which it sounds like you knew.

Risky Business, eh? Barring injury, Tulo was pretty much the consensus #2 SS behind Hanley and most projections had him going in the 2nd or 3rd round depending on the size of your league. The OP listed the numerous reasons why. We don't have to get into them.

Secondly, Nobody cares about Your fantasy team. People care even less that you plan on"targeting him low next year" for your 2011 draft. Why is that relevant to this post?

Finally, there's no need to condescend with your smart - ass comments. You clearly don't know what you're talking about in terms of Tulo's production so far this season. He's actually bucked that trend of "historically not hitting until June" thus far. It's not like he's hitting .185 with all singles. He's hit well in April and May with an AVG over .300 for the most part, plenty of doubles, walks, and runs. The only caveat is his lack of HR's and RBI's ... Which I think is what the OP was trying to point out.

As a fellow Tulo owner, I'm disappointed with the 1 HR thus far too. Like all Tulo owners, we're just going to have to be patient. I still think he's still capable of 25 HR's ... but he needs to start hitting them ASAP.

Thanks to SmooveThug for the Sigs!
Midnight_Toker
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Tue May 18, 2010 9:43 am

Eh, I'm not too worried. Sure you'd want them flying over the wall with regularity, but he's done this in the past. In 2007, he had a total of 2 his first few months (went on to hit 22 more) and last year he had a total of 5 (and went on to hit 27 more). During Spring Training he had 4 in 47 AB's so we know he's still capable of whacking them out this year. Remember, it was still snowing in Colorado last week so his bat is still in hibernation! ;-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Havok1517 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:10 am

2nd half player
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby dmattingly23 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:26 am

2nd post was on the money.

Was a little overrated coming into season.

Now he's struggling in 1st half, just like always.

He'll be fine, just won't justify how much you paid to get him.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 18, 2010 10:36 am

Tulo was a sucker pick
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tony Micelli » Tue May 18, 2010 1:39 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:2nd post was on the money.

Was a little overrated coming into season.

Now he's struggling in 1st half, just like always.

He'll be fine, just won't justify how much you paid to get him.

Was he really overrated? In my 10 team, H2H league ... I snagged him in the 3rd round. I don't think I overpaid for him. Especially if everyone is convinced he will have such a strong 2nd half.

And that's the thing .. he's not really struggling hitting the ball. He's just been struggling hitting HR's. He's been hitting pretty consistently in April and May and his avg now .295. It was over .300 for a few weeks too. He's hitting a lot of doubles and has scored a lot of runs as well. I've actually been pretty happy with him -- except for the 1 HR so far. That's all.
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JMB05 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Midnight_Toker wrote:

Risky Business, eh? Barring injury, Tulo was pretty much the consensus #2 SS behind Hanley and most projections had him going in the 2nd or 3rd round depending on the size of your league. The OP listed the numerous reasons why. We don't have to get into them.

Secondly, Nobody cares about Your fantasy team. People care even less that you plan on"targeting him low next year" for your 2011 draft. Why is that relevant to this post?

Finally, there's no need to condescend with your smart - ass comments. You clearly don't know what you're talking about in terms of Tulo's production so far this season. He's actually bucked that trend of "historically not hitting until June" thus far. It's not like he's hitting .185 with all singles. He's hit well in April and May with an AVG over .300 for the most part, plenty of doubles, walks, and runs. The only caveat is his lack of HR's and RBI's ... Which I think is what the OP was trying to point out.

As a fellow Tulo owner, I'm disappointed with the 1 HR thus far too. Like all Tulo owners, we're just going to have to be patient. I still think he's still capable of 25 HR's ... but he needs to start hitting them ASAP.

Hmm. First to get the easy stuff out of the way, where exactly did I mention my team? Name a player I own and I will edit my post.

Second, giving fantasy advice on a player, on a fantasy board(used for advice) is condescending? My thoughts on the matter, especially on looking out for next year was to try and help the OP not give up on him, this year or next. It's easy to get burned on a guy and then avoid drafting him the next year.

Tulowitzki has shown a propensity to catch fire around June 1st. As a rule of thumb, doubles generally turn into Homeruns, generally. To have him batting around .300 should be very exciting at this point in time, come August if he still isn't hitting for power, then be worried.

As for the OP grabbing him in the 3rd round I would say that's a very fair place to take him, the MDP had him going in the middle of the second round which was reaching for most so you did well. Just hang on and when he bursts into flames, come back and let us know about your new mancrush.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers