WTF, Facebook? Wow. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

WTF, Facebook? Wow.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: WTF, Facebook? Wow.

Postby urbanbreez » Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 pm

The internet isn't a geeks playground as it was when all MySpace and Friendster hit it big.

What? How could you even knoOMG ARE YOU MAYOR OF THE INTERNETZ???? I've been looking all over for you.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun May 23, 2010 12:52 am

jfg wrote:
Tavish wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: Facebook won't collapse, although they could go in the way of Myspace too (I doubt that though).

It is absolutely inevitable that Facebook collapses or becomes second rate (ala MySpace) IMO. It is the history of the internet and communication in general. There will always be something better that comes along, it is a question of when not if.

I don't think so. The internet isn't a geeks playground as it was when all MySpace and Friendster hit it big. Techies created all of this and they were a fickle bunch, or at least willing to move on to the next thing when the time was right. The average person is not going to do that. No way are that many people going to make the decision to leave for a new site that they have to learn.

The average person is exactly how MySpace and Friendster became popular. The attention span of the average person is akin to that of a 6 year old in the toy store. Every shiny new toy is exactly what they want and might be the best toy in the world until they get to the next aisle.

Twitter has one of the highest learning curves of any of the social networking designs and has grown to be the 3rd largest social networking site in just a couple of years. There won't be a Facebook clone that will displace the site, but social networking is still very early in its infancy. Uses, designs and even the userbase itself will evolve and leave Facebook feeling like the Classmates.com.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jfg » Sun May 23, 2010 3:49 am

You might be right, but I know my friends and relatives that took their sweet time with social networking. They make up 80 percent of my friends on Facebook and they aren't switching anytime soon unless it's seamless. Same thing goes for something like Google Wave. I was working on a project that Wave would have been absolutely perfect for and I sent invites to everybody involved with the project and it crashed and burned because people are so used to what they know. I hope I'm wrong but I think the only way the internet is going to go from here is backwards. I really do hope I'm 100 percent wrong.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Like I said before, I think social networking is in a consolidation phase. I don't see it as in its infancy phase, but more or less, in a hybrid of a late growth and shakeout state. The shakeout has to do with other networking sites hitting the wall when it comes to growth as more people use Facebook as their go-to social site. There's growth to be had in this space as far as extending on top of the service. For example, Facebook and Twitter are integrating location-based services in which you don't have to tell your friends where you are, but say, your mobile device will tell your friends where you are automatically (provided that you opt in to the service). Convergence with other media like TV, primarily, is another avenue to take a preexisting service to another level. There isn't dramatic upside for innovation in this space, IMO, at least in the near future, let alone a like-for-like alternative to Facebook.

It's hard for me to see Facebook becoming a fad per se. They're sort of in this phase where they can build something sustainable like Google, but have yet to experience that watershed moment. You can't compare them to Classmates or a Friendster because they've taken that next step into becoming more dynamic than a profile page and another way for your friends to communicate. If Myspace hadn't sold out to Newscorp, then there's no telling how they could have evolved as a business. They tried to do too much in-house since then to build value (i.e. Music, Video, etc.), but in the process, lost their way. Facebook organized itself to embrace any market demographic and in due time, they've grown out of being an exclusive college network into a much bigger ecosystem.

Facebook isn't likely to become a trend because businesses, small and big, need users. It's not cheap to get traffic, let alone to get users and to have them stick around. Thus, Facebook is a wonderful asset to startups to identify and reach a market that could want/need whatever they're selling. Facebook want to have the best services on their community, but even if they have the resources, they're better off letting other people/businesses build services through Facebook, on site or even off site. Facebook has its social applications on site but the fact that I can "like" content that I see elsewhere, like on the Cafe, and let my friends know that I like it, it increases exposure for those sites and of course, Facebook is at the center of it. Everybody could be a winner in a system like this. The end users themselves don't want to be explicitly advertised to. However, if they can interact with the ads or even products in a social context and not just sit there and be advertised to, then they're likely to react favorably.

Time will tell with Facebook but I think they're in a situation where the precedent of Internet products/services coming and going doesn't exactly apply to them. They might just be in the minority and build something to the magnitude of Google, after all.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:19 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Time will tell with Facebook but I think they're in a situation where the precedent of Internet products/services coming and going doesn't exactly apply to them. They might just be in the minority and build something to the magnitude of Google, after all.

You really think they could do this if they continue to piss off their core fanbase? I guess I see Facebook in the same light I see Apple....they seem to be pretty full of themselves and tend to make decisions as if they are above the possible consequences....and I think that makes them less of the impenetrable force that they could be if they were more consumer friendly. I just think they walk a potentially fine line.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Time will tell with Facebook but I think they're in a situation where the precedent of Internet products/services coming and going doesn't exactly apply to them. They might just be in the minority and build something to the magnitude of Google, after all.

You really think they could do this if they continue to piss off their core fanbase? I guess I see Facebook in the same light I see Apple....they seem to be pretty full of themselves and tend to make decisions as if they are above the possible consequences....and I think that makes them less of the impenetrable force that they could be if they were more consumer friendly. I just think they walk a potentially fine line.

Just saying that they've upset folks in the past few years about several issues, including those of privacy, and it's gotten a lot of press. That includes Mark Zuckerberg making an egregious statement about privacy being less of an issue, several months ago. I don't think Facebook users will bolt en masse because of it, as it's nothing entirely new, unless they really drop the ball. Users can choose to opt in or out of features they want to keep private, after all, but it's in good practice to let users know what they're opting into should they choose to.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby zepfan » Mon May 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Turns out Mark Zuckerberg really does care what his users think, God love him. It only took every media outlet and dozens of privacy advocate groups to bash him for months on end to get him to make a couple changes.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100524/t ... ok_privacy

This may slow his plans for world domination by a couple months at least.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:39 pm

zepfan wrote:Turns out Mark Zuckerberg really does care what his users think, God love him. It only took every media outlet and dozens of privacy advocate groups to bash him for months on end to get him to make a couple changes.

So might this.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby zepfan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Tavish wrote:
zepfan wrote:Turns out Mark Zuckerberg really does care what his users think, God love him. It only took every media outlet and dozens of privacy advocate groups to bash him for months on end to get him to make a couple changes.

So might this.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think it would be hilarious to see him lose it but it seems like a pretty major uphill battle for the plaintiff.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:52 pm

The same people that are moaning about privacy are doing this:

:p

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk