Austin Kearns at 3rd Base? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Austin Kearns at 3rd Base?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Austin Kearns at 3rd Base?

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 21, 2002 11:49 pm

I was just scouring the internet for baseball news (as all of us fantasy junkies do) and I just read that Austin Kearns or Juan Encarncion might move to 3rd base this weekend when Griffey returns. The favorite at this time would be Kearns and bench Boone.

If you own Kearns this is GREAT news! There are a ton of Outfielders in comparison to quality 3b. So if he gets the nod at 3rd, then all of a sudden I can begin to hear whispers of "Albert Pujols of 2002" We can only hope!

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago » Wed May 22, 2002 1:54 am

see the thread with the subject "Ken Griffey?" below to see my predictions about what will happen.

I've watched some of the Reds games on TV, including the ESPN Monday night Reds vs. Cardinals game, and the announcers keep saying that Juan Encarnacion will probably get the short end of the stick and get benched. This makes absolutley no sense to me as Encarnacion is hitting better than Adam Dunn, and has basically been their best offensive player for the season (although Juan has been in a small slump the past two weeks). They can't bench Kearns, because he's their hottest offensive player the past few weeks. I doubt they'll bench Dunn, and I can't see them benching Casey and moving Dunn to first. The only solution I see is benching Aaron Boone at third and sticking someone there.

But will Bob Boone bench his own son? We shall see...
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

boone

Postby cwebb » Wed May 22, 2002 6:10 am

Interesting situation, Boone hasn't been delighting fantasy owners and I doubt he makes a real owner happy. No matter if Kearns or Encarnacion ends up at 3B, this would mean all four OFs would keep their value, which is the best news!

Boone shouldn't be playing anyway, except in a very deep league, 3B doesn't have the depth we all imagined when looking at all those young, promising guys there, so whoever moves to third might be a special delight!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Wed May 22, 2002 7:17 am

Agreed, Kearns playing third would be huge from a fantasy perspective, and possibly a smooth move for the Reds as well. I admit I hadn't heard anything about Encarnacion making that shift. It sounds like an interesting possibility, but I don't really see it happening.

At the moment, everything is still very much up in the air, with the Reds considering all kinds of roster reshuffles and trades (even trading Griffey has been mentioned, although I highly doubt this will happen). I agree with Chicago, though, that benching Encarnacion seems like a strange solution, unless the Reds fear that a slump now could hurt his trade value. Yes, that's a weak reason to bench him...

At any rate, in terms of the long-term outlook, keep in mind that the Reds do have some very decent 3b prospects in their system.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago » Thu May 23, 2002 2:28 am

Just a quick note. I heard an announcer on ESPN today say Austin Kearns used to play SS, so that increases the chances of him being swtiched to 3rd, especially since A. Boone is hitting under .200. But, it seems B. Boone has been hinting at platooning 5 players in 4 postions: left, center, right, 1B.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers