Pat Burrell Sent to AAA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pat Burrell Sent to AAA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pat Burrell Sent to AAA

Postby joejlitz » Sun May 16, 2010 7:08 am

While I realize this doesn't make a huge splash in the fantasy world, it's kind of a big deal for Phillies fans to see Burrell "go out like this." The Phils drafted and groomed him. He gave us a lot of memories, including being part of the team that won the Series in '08. Sure he never matched his 2002 season and he struck out with the best of them. But its hard to believe a guy with his talent, at only 33, lost "it" altogether.

Tampa Bay designated former Phillies slugger Pat Burrell for assignment Saturday and selected the contract of former Texas Rangers infielder Hank Blalock from triple-A Durham.
Burrell, 33, has struggled since signing with the Rays two months after helping the Phillies beat Tampa Bay in the 2008 World Series. He batted .221 with 14 home runs and 64 RBIs in 2009, while making the transition from outfielder to designated hitter. He was hitting .202 with two homers in 24 games this season.

The Rays have 10 days to waive, trade or release him.

Source: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2 ... z0o5YJ00Lc
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pat Burrell Sent to AAA

Postby AnddWon » Thu May 20, 2010 5:46 am

Lol I'm a phils phan and I don't care at all. He just got sent down to the minors, he didn't get put down. I was actually relieved when we traded that bum. Ibanez has been awesome and soon Domonic Brown will be here to awe us. I'm just really hoping we can keep Werth and Victorino, there must be some way to do it!

The reason Burrell got sent down was because of something in Hank Blalock's contract that said they had to either call him up or cut him. The Rays opted to send down Burrell in order to keep Blalock and Burrell rostered. Makes sense to me.
AnddWon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Re: Pat Burrell Sent to AAA

Postby joejlitz » Fri May 21, 2010 7:10 am

AnddWon wrote:Lol I'm a phils phan and I don't care at all. He just got sent down to the minors, he didn't get put down. I was actually relieved when we traded that bum. Ibanez has been awesome and soon Domonic Brown will be here to awe us. I'm just really hoping we can keep Werth and Victorino, there must be some way to do it!

The reason Burrell got sent down was because of something in Hank Blalock's contract that said they had to either call him up or cut him. The Rays opted to send down Burrell in order to keep Blalock and Burrell rostered. Makes sense to me.

I guess I care because I watched us draft him and I watched him play hard for us everyday. In any event:

-- Nice parting gift: The Rays released former Phillie Pat Burrell last Saturday, but the timing is interesting. The move came 1 day after Burrell reached 10 years of big-league service time, maxing out on the pension plan.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/ ... z0oYpPgnA9
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates