Best way to know when prospects called up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best way to know when prospects called up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best way to know when prospects called up?

Postby Sensei » Sat May 15, 2010 10:25 am

I play in a long-term keeper money league. In our rules, we have no minor league system or FAAB system, so we can't pick up prospects until they are actually called up. I'll be lookin for Chapman, Stanton, and others, but I'd kill to have Strasburg in this league. My question, when the call does get made, what websites will have the news first? Is there a time of day when most callups are made public, or can it depend on gametime (if called up to pitch same day)? I'd almost pay for a service to call my cell phone as soon as the news is out.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best way to know when prospects called up?

Postby nsulham » Sat May 15, 2010 10:41 am

I can't say for sure but one trend I have been noticing is the beat writers of the teams or the MLB.com writers for the teams usually have it on Twitter pretty quick.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat May 15, 2010 1:26 pm

The Rotoworld Fantasy Baseball Season Pass includes a page devoted entirely to Callup News. It's updated throughout the day (just like their regular player news) and I'd imagine they'll get the information out as fast as just about anyone. I'm not sure if there's a way to get it sent to your phone.

But on most fantasy websites, prospects are still going to go through waivers after being called up.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mrmarley » Sat May 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Seems arbitrary, I would think you would need a rule that says he was specifically called up by an official site, like the MLB transactions page. Have there been any problems in the past bc people picked up a prospect incorrectly based on a rumor?
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby King Tim » Sat May 15, 2010 2:58 pm

FWIW Tim Kurkjan says Strasburg will make his big league debut on June 8.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sensei » Sat May 15, 2010 3:33 pm

mrmarley wrote:Seems arbitrary, I would think you would need a rule that says he was specifically called up by an official site, like the MLB transactions page. Have there been any problems in the past bc people picked up a prospect incorrectly based on a rumor?

No, we have weekly lineups and all adds/drops are made by commish. So first to put in a claim gets him. It's never been a big deal until some of these huge callups are going to create quite a stir.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 16, 2010 10:03 am

i have to agree with nsulham, twitter is quick. i dont know who all to follow and wheather every team has this, but i know with the Orioles for example, there is a specific Orioles prospect twitter. if an Orioles prospect is about to get called up i assume it would be posted there pretty quick.
i think every team also has specific writers that have twitter. i also assume there that any information about that team gets posted quickly on twitter.
i love twitter, information comes out quickly. there are numerous twitter that will also give advice. there is also a twitter that posts whenever a run is scored during a game.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)

Postby King Tim » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:26 am

King Tim wrote:FWIW Tim Kurkjan says Strasburg will make his big league debut on June 8.

How good is Kurkjan?
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers