Return to General Talk

The NBA playoff thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The NBA playoff thread

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Metroid wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
He was chasing around Kobe Bryant....might fatigue someone.

Really? That's an excuse to miss 18 3's in a row? 18?! And then go 3-14 in Game 7 of the NBA Finals? Come on now.

I wouldn't dismiss fatigue as irrelevant. Ray is 34 now, chasing around Kobe all series would take it's toll. I don't think that's the sole reason for his poor performance but it certainly didn't help things. Aside from his performance in game 2, I honestly thought he looked tired throughout the series. :-?

I didn't say it was irrelevant, it's just not the end all be all explanation or something he should be completely excused for.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Fatigue was not the sole reason but it certainly did not help that he had to guard Kobe. I think I am going to have a knot in my stomach for the next year. Hold on, I'm going to puke again.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:46 pm

I didn't see any of the games but the finals sounded like a resounding dud. Either blow outs or terrible play.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I didn't see any of the games but the finals sounded like a resounding dud. Either blow outs or terrible play.

huh? Lets see, Lakers blow out Boston at home in game 1. Then Boston steals game 2 with a career and record setting performance by Ray Allen. Then off to Boston where the Lakers bounce back and crush the Celtics. Then two dominating wins by Boston, despite Kobe being Kobe, to give Boston a 3-2 series lead. Then Back to LA where the Lakers bounce back huge and crush Boston to tie the series, with a great game from Kobe and stellar bench play. Then a defensive struggle in game 7 where it easily could have been anybodies game until the final couple minutes.

It was a back and forth 7 game series. If you extract each game and analyze each one on their own, no they weren't nail biters. The beauty of this series was in the adjustments each team made throughout the series. Is it one of the best series ever? No, probably not. But it certainly wasn't a dud. I was entertained throughout and really enjoyed it. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I didn't see any of the games but the finals sounded like a resounding dud. Either blow outs or terrible play.

urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Metroid wrote:

huh? Lets see, Lakers blow out Boston at home in game 1. Then Boston steals game 2 with a career and record setting performance by Ray Allen. Then off to Boston where the Lakers bounce back and crush the Celtics. Then two dominating wins by Boston, despite Kobe being Kobe, to give Boston a 3-2 series lead. Then Back to LA where the Lakers bounce back huge and crush Boston to tie the series, with a great game from Kobe and stellar bench play. Then a defensive struggle in game 7 where it easily could have been anybodies game until the final couple minutes.

It was a back and forth 7 game series. If you extract each game and analyze each one on their own, no they weren't nail biters. The beauty of this series was in the adjustments each team made throughout the series. Is it one of the best series ever? No, probably not. But it certainly wasn't a dud. I was entertained throughout and really enjoyed it. ;-D

So they were all blow outs except for game 7 that people generally agree was a poorly played game?

Were there any well played competitive games?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:

So they were all blow outs except for game 7 that people generally agree was a poorly played game?

Were there any well played competitive games?

I don't know if it was poorly played, it was more defensive than anything. It certainly wasn't the best offensively played game, but whatever. :-b

Other than Game 7 no there weren't any competitive well played games by both teams, there were many great performances by many different players however. And like I said, if you microscope each game they were not nail biters or competitive games, and again, the beauty of this series was in the adjustments that each team made from game to game. If that's not something you can appreciate than you would not have enjoyed the series. Would I have rather watched a 7 game series where it was neck and neck each and every game? Absolutely. This was not one of those series. I still enjoyed it though.

And I hate both the Lakers and the Celtics btw. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:24 pm

RedHopeful wrote:On another note, who thought Artest would become likeable playing for LA? :-b

I don't know about anybody else, but I've been a big fan of Artest since his Chicago days. You've got to respect a guy who comes out to play that hard every game with a defensive focus. I'm really glad it all came together for him last night.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:29 pm

mweir145 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:On another note, who thought Artest would become likeable playing for LA? :-b

I don't know about anybody else, but I've been a big fan of Artest since his Chicago days. You've got to respect a guy who comes out to play that hard every game with a defensive focus. I'm really glad it all came together for him last night.

Absolutely. I've always liked Artest as well. I didn't like when he jumped into the stands, but I've always been a fan. ;-D

He's crazy, you gotta love crazy. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:30 pm

mweir145 wrote:

Absolutely hated the guy before this season. Now I'd buy him a beer. Funny how that trophy can change things.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk