Suspended Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Suspended Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Suspended Players

Postby ABA316 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:02 am

bigmck wrote:
ABA316 wrote:No DL for certain on this one.

What you COULD do though is, drop the suspended player to the FA market, let the owner pick up a replacement, and instruct the rest of the league they are not to pick up said player. Owner must re-add suspended player when he is no longer suspended.

Could you explain a little further. First you say do not allow him to be put on the DL, but then say go ahead and allow a replacement. How is putting him on the DL any different than your proposal of dropping the player and allowing the owner to pick him up again after the suspention is over?

Because the argument here thus far is that the DL should not be used for a non-DL player. My scenario is a "work around" to that which allows a fantasy team to add another player to replace the suspended player (as a real MLB team may do) but does not use the DL (which a real MLB team may not do for a non-DL listed player).
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigmck » Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 am

ABA316 wrote:Because the argument here thus far is that the DL should not be used for a non-DL player. My scenario is a "work around" to that which allows a fantasy team to add another player to replace the suspended player (as a real MLB team may do) but does not use the DL (which a real MLB team may not do for a non-DL listed player).

There is one big difference. MLB has a Suspended List. Fantasy Stat sites do not have a Suspended List. They only have a Disabled List. If Fantasy had a Suspended List, then that would be used. Using the DL is a work around. Makes sense to me.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby ichirosan » Wed May 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Kimbos Beard wrote:In our league, if the player is on the DL he is eligible for the DL that is all. IF he is (NA) then you either bench him, or live him in the position, or drop him.

Curiously, what are you doing with people that own Minor Leaguers like Strasburg etc. Should they be allowed to have him on their DL too? I think its just simpler to keep DL players for those on the DL.

This.

I play in 2 Dynasty leagues where people routinely stash 3-5 minor leaguers. Would you allow the owners to put them on DL? What about if a minor leaguer gets suspended? Or if a minor leaguer goes into minor league DL (which is independent of major league DL, and providers such as Yahoo don't support it)? You would be forced to track all these situations.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby 23 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 pm

I found this thread via a search after this particular debate was brought up recently by guys in our league. I'm on the fence. In a sense, I agree with bigmck that MLB teams are allowed to replace a suspended player, but part of me likes the "cheaters shall not prosper" stance.

Now, the official Roto rules state "A suspended player may not be reserved, released or replaced." So my question would be: what was the impetus behind that policy? Does anyone have a creative rule aside from the black and white options already discussed? Maybe you can replace the suspended player but you have to RELEASE him, something like that? I ask because obviously cases like Manny Ramirez and Melky Cabrera, etc. make it worth addressing. Thanks.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner