Suspended Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Suspended Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Suspended Players

Postby Wadderboiz » Thu May 13, 2010 3:20 pm

My league has been at war as to how to handle suspended players. Last year when Manny was suspended the owner simply put in a request to DL Manny and make an addition from the waiver wire. At first glance I, as the commissioner questioned the transaction but was generally ok with it. I didn't feel it was right to penalize the fantasy owner for Manny being Manny. However other owners felt the DL was for MLB DL'd players only, and that by allowing such a transaction, you'd open the door for a player who is say suspended 3-5 games for charging the mound to be DL'd as well. Just curious as to how other leagues are handling this situation. Keep in mind my league does not have bench positions. Your players are either active or DL'd. Any thoughts? WHIR!
Wadderboiz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Suspended Players

Postby D-backsFan » Thu May 13, 2010 3:41 pm

If they're not DL'd in real life, no DL in fantasy.
D-backsFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tah161 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:40 am

I agree. I had Manny on my team last year and carried him on my bench until after the suspension. I know some leagues dont carry a bench, in that case, the team either needs to drop him or have him occupy a spot.

Another thing you can do is if you are going the DL route is if the suspension is longer that a normal DL stint then you can put him on the DL.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Fri May 14, 2010 10:48 am

When a player is suspended in MLB, his team is allowed to get a replacement. We do the same in our league. We also allow replacements for Bereavement. This follows the same logic. The player is put on the DL list since there is no other place for him. == Just curious, it created a problem last year with Manny and nothing was done to solve the problem in the off season? Bad move.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Wadderboiz » Fri May 14, 2010 11:21 am

The debate began last season with the Manny move and we ultimately decided to allow the DL transaction for last season. At this year's preseason meeting we voted, by a slim margin, not to allow it. I am posting because the more I think about the situation the more I tend to agree with...

"When a player is suspended in MLB, his team is allowed to get a replacement."

I was just curious as to how other leagues handle such a situation. Thanks for the input.
Wadderboiz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri May 21, 2010 3:55 pm

In our league, if the player is on the DL he is eligible for the DL that is all. IF he is (NA) then you either bench him, or live him in the position, or drop him.

Curiously, what are you doing with people that own Minor Leaguers like Strasburg etc. Should they be allowed to have him on their DL too? I think its just simpler to keep DL players for those on the DL.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby FantasyJudgment » Sat May 22, 2010 12:24 am

I agree...if a player is not disabled by MLB or his MLB team, then he cannot be disabled in fantasy. I mandated that the team in my league who had Manny last year had to keep him active on his roster if he wanted to keep him.
Michael A. Stein, Esq.
Owner and Chief Justice
[url]michael.stein@fantasyjudgment.com[/url]
http://www.fantasyjudgment.com
http://www.fantasyjudgment.wordpress.com
FantasyJudgment
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bigmck » Sat May 22, 2010 1:47 pm

I am really surprised by all of the answers that say "No Replacement". If you are trying to "mirror" MLB, you should attempt to follow their rules. I Commished my first Fantasy League in 1991. This was part of the rules then, just in case it every happened. The league continues to this day and that same rule is still there. You guys are just picking an instance in the Fantasy Rules and doing the opposite of what MLB does, allow a replacement. It makes no sense.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ABA316 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:30 pm

No DL for certain on this one.

What you COULD do though is, drop the suspended player to the FA market, let the owner pick up a replacement, and instruct the rest of the league they are not to pick up said player. Owner must re-add suspended player when he is no longer suspended.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Mon May 24, 2010 5:22 pm

ABA316 wrote:No DL for certain on this one.

What you COULD do though is, drop the suspended player to the FA market, let the owner pick up a replacement, and instruct the rest of the league they are not to pick up said player. Owner must re-add suspended player when he is no longer suspended.

Could you explain a little further. First you say do not allow him to be put on the DL, but then say go ahead and allow a replacement. How is putting him on the DL any different than your proposal of dropping the player and allowing the owner to pick him up again after the suspention is over?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner