Sell on Strasburg or hold and prosper later? WHIR!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Sell on Strasburg or hold and prosper later? WHIR!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sell on Strasburg or hold and prosper later? WHIR!!!

Postby pre1322 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Encountered a very tough trade offer in a league...12 team H2H keeper (keep 10) with 6x6 scoring (HLDs and OPS) and a 5 man farm team. This team is stacked if I do say so myself, the product of a season and a half of building, but has been beset by injuries in the early going this season. I played the waiting game on the injuries, as it was April/May and I didn't feel the need to do anything drastic. However, I am getting healthy now and ready to make a run. Here's the squad:

C Ivan Rodriguez
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Ian Kinsler
3B Pablo Sandoval
EDIT - SS (to be filled when Gallardo trade completed...irrelevant, would just drop in Strasburg deal)
OF Adam Dunn
OF Carlos Gonzalez
OF Jason Bay
UTIL Joey Votto
EDIT - BN (to be filled when Gallardo trade completed...irrelevant, would just drop in Strasburg deal)
BN Jimmy Rollins DL
BN Nelson Cruz DL
DL Miguel Montero

SP Adam Wainwright
SP Ubaldo Jimenez
EDIT - SP Yovani Gallardo
RP Jonathan Broxton
RP Chad Qualls
P Matt Thornton
P Jhoulys Chacin
BN Chad Billingsley
BN Mark Buehrle
BN Brett Anderson DL
DL Erik Bedard

FARM:
SP Stephen Strasburg
SP Mike Leake (back and forth with Chacin)
EDIT - SP Jake Arrieta
2B Brett Lawrie
OF Ryan Westmoreland

Was offered Curtis Granderson, Josh Hamilton, Josh Johnson and Bobby Jenks (if I can fit him in) for Nelson Cruz and Stephen Strasburg

I know it's a lot of value coming back, but with my unique injury and team situation I'm not quite sure if and how to work out the logistics of the deal. Hamilton and Granderson would eventually give me a strong OF and allow me to balance my OF a little more. JJ also really solidifies my rotation behind Ubaldo and Wainwright and sets me for a long time at SP. But how to fit it in?

**********************EDIT******************************
Just managed to open some space with a deal:

Traded Dempster, Prado and Desmond for Gallardo and Arrieta for my farm squad (dropping Borbon). Also going to trade Buehrle in the Strasburg deal (rather than dropping him). Team and trade is updated above.

Any advice on how to work this out (who to drop, what additional moves to make, is it even possible to do it) would be greatly appreciated. Leave a link, I will return the favour. Thanks!
Last edited by pre1322 on Fri May 14, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sell on Strasburg or hold and prosper later? WHIR!!!

Postby Kafka » Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm

I know what your thinking..or I might guess it. These are great names/value you get in return for SS and Cruz. Granderson. Hamilton. Jenks. Johnson.
Though, as you wrote correctly, how can they fit in? you must at least drop 2 players.

I think, you should go with your guts and they tell you- don't do it! -why? b/c you don't want to watch SS scoring for another team. With every good outing in the minors SS value rise in the big league. I sold him high at the start of the season (with good n needed value in return) but now- I regret it a little bit. So I wouldn't do it.
and with Cruz back- you have the lineup to compete.
It would be nice to know what you did with our advice - so please write a short reply
Kafka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dukefan » Thu May 13, 2010 2:11 pm

I like the deal...but i don't see who is worth dropping..billingsly wouldn't be a bad option to drop if i were you...and Jenks is better then Chachin and Thornton who are possibilities to drop...When it comes to your offensive players they are all worth something and I don't see how you can drop any of them.. If I was you I think your roster is good enough to compete and wait for strausberg and Cruz to come back...hope that helps

help me with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=411689
dukefan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pre1322 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Any more opinions?
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:08 pm

I do that deal. Stras will be a stud, but won't help all that much this year and JJ is a power arm in his own right who is already proven he can get the job done. I hate losing Cruz, but Grandy+Hamilton more then make up for his departure. So with that said I would:

You have to free up at least 1 roster spot for sure. So I would demote Desmond and dump Borbon to get this deal done.

Now if you want Jenks also (which I can see potentially by the ASB him and Thornton switching roles) then I would first try to deal Prado+Dempster or Bills for a bigger arm or Prado+Qualls for a bigger Closer. If you can't then yes I would cut Buehrle to make the deal. So worst case, do the deal, dump Borbon and Buehrle to get the deal done. Btw, if your not even in the race to contend by a week or 2 after the ASB I would look to start tryin to pull 2 for 1 deals to get as much value in your 10 keepers as possible. As it sits now you have a roster full of keepable players: Teix, Kinsler, Pablo, Rollins, Dunn, Bay, Votto, CarGo and soon to be Grandy/Hamilton, thats 10 right there and thats only your bats. Then you look at your arms and you have another 4 to even 6 keepers there in Wainy, Ubaldo, Anderson, Johnson and even Bills and Brox could be keeper worthy by the end of the year. But again thats only if your not in reach of contention just after the ASB.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pre1322 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:51 pm

EDIT - Managed to swing a deal to open up some space.

Traded Ryan Dempster, Martin Prado and Ian Desmond

Received Yovani Gallardo and Jake Arrieta (for the farm)

Dropping Borbon to make room for Arrieta on the farm and managed to include Buehrle in the Strasburg deal. Should I do it? I'm leaning heavily yes, unless someone can convince me otherwise...
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

Postby goldy5000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 am

thanks for the idea I will watch him now please help me viewtopic.php?f=26&t=425975
Born in Seattle
goldy5000 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions