Drew Stubbs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drew Stubbs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drew Stubbs

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:42 am

Tired looking for a thread about him already and didn't see one. So if there is I apologize in advance...

I've been watching this kid since opening day, and his struggles were big time to start off, but seems that his bat is finally coming back around a bit over the last week or so. Anyone still believe he can turn it back around, or better yet, anyone thinking about adding him in leagues where hes been cut? Hes available right now in my deep 18-teamer, and I just check it everyday to see if hes still sitting there, but I don't think I can wait much longer basing it on his stats over the last 10 days or so:

Stat line since April 28th: 13/52 9R, 2HR, 6RBI, 4SB. But in the last 8 games it reads more like: 8/34, 5R, 2HR, 6RBI, 1SB

A bit of sign of life from Drew? Now a good time to buy low, or add low, on this cat and hope that he takes off after showing a little pop in his bat over the last week? His BABIP is still about 75 points less then what it was last year, and even if last year was a fluke (sitting at .325) I still have to believe that he should be able to make up at least half of that, which would raise it to a respectable .280-.290 range. His K% is up a few points from last year, but thus far he has balanced it out by raising his BB% also. Overall tho his numbers across the board are all well under what he did last year, and then taking his AAA stats in with that.

Anyone else think its time to look at Stubbs again, or shall we wait and see what happens over the next few days?

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drew Stubbs

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 13, 2010 12:44 pm

I think you would have to be pretty desperate for SB or in a really deep league to think about Stubbs. Best case he could score a decent amount of runs but he would still be below average in HR, RBI and BA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Juiceman612 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:07 pm

I agree with the above poster. Plus I think Stubbs looks lost at the plate. Might be worth a speculative add in an 18 team league I guess. But his recent few hits is nothing to get excited about, IMO.
Juiceman612
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rookies and cream » Thu May 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Stubbs should definitely be rostered in an 18-team deep league. He's been rostered all year in both my 15-team deep leagues, and did not even clear waivers in my 12-team deep league. He's also been owned in my 12-team shallow league all year, though this probably should not have been the case.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:30 pm

I wrote the sleeper article on him before the season.....and said his best case scenario was a BJ Upton line from last year....something like .250/12/40 with decent R totals at the top of the lineup. Now he's moved down.....I still have faith that he'll provide value but I am not sure he'll even approach said prediction if he keeps K-ing at the rate he has so far.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Element » Sat May 15, 2010 12:01 am

Homers in back to back games...
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby ctt8410 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:17 pm

Well, he's hitting .333/.389/.545 since being moved down to the 7 hole. I haven't seen any at-bats recently to see if he's made adjustments in his swing, but earlier this year it was long and uppercut and way too long in the zone. Hopefully the results are due to a correction and not just small sample anomaly.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DetroitTigers » Sun May 23, 2010 8:12 am

Anyone a believer in this guy yet?? 2 SB yesterday. Or is Dusty Baker gonna continue to hold him back in a platoon role??
DetroitTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West » Sun May 23, 2010 9:42 am

I've owned stubbs since day 1 in one of my deeper leagues. I had him last year as well. No doubt the guy looks awful right now (45 K in 140 ab). He's streaky though, kind of like Soriano. I like having him around for when he gets on a hot streak because the hits/hr's/sbs come in bunches. However he's been pretty poor to date and I was about to dump him before he had 3sb in the last 2 games. Hopefully he's about to get on a roll, he's even drawn a walk each of the last three games.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 215)

Postby ctt8410 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:06 pm

ctt8410 wrote:Well, he's hitting .333/.389/.545 since being moved down to the 7 hole. I haven't seen any at-bats recently to see if he's made adjustments in his swing, but earlier this year it was long and uppercut and way too long in the zone. Hopefully the results are due to a correction and not just small sample anomaly.

Now at .291/.371/.545 with 4 SB since the move down to 7.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers