Justin Upton, coming around or overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Justin Upton, coming around or overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Justin Upton, coming around or overrated?

Postby rich101682 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:35 pm

HighHeater wrote:can people relax on Justin Upton... it gets annoying seeing threads the past few years thinking he's magically going to be a HoF right out of the minor's. He put up a crazy stat line at the tender age of 22 in the bigs people. 22.... it's not like in his struggles thus far he hasn't produced the kid's hitting for power and stealing bases at a .250 clip. it's not even 1/4th the season done yet...

there's not one OF i'd rather own then JUp is any dynasty/keeper format. trade him if you want but you will regret it.

Just for argument's sake, you wouldn't trade him for Braun, Heyward or Kemp in a keeper league?
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 16, 2010 4:23 pm

rich101682 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:can people relax on Justin Upton... it gets annoying seeing threads the past few years thinking he's magically going to be a HoF right out of the minor's. He put up a crazy stat line at the tender age of 22 in the bigs people. 22.... it's not like in his struggles thus far he hasn't produced the kid's hitting for power and stealing bases at a .250 clip. it's not even 1/4th the season done yet...

there's not one OF i'd rather own then JUp is any dynasty/keeper format. trade him if you want but you will regret it.

Just for argument's sake, you wouldn't trade him for Braun, Heyward or Kemp in a keeper league?

Nope
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby rich101682 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:30 pm

HighHeater wrote:
rich101682 wrote:

Nope

I have Upton in a 20 team keeper league, and I'd have to think long and hard if someone offered me Braun straight up for him.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:30 pm

HighHeater wrote:
rich101682 wrote:

Nope

What if the format allowed you to keep a player for just two years? Would you prefer Braun/Kemp in that format?
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby rich101682 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:39 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:
rich101682 wrote:

Nope

What if the format allowed you to keep a player for just two years? Would you prefer Braun/Kemp in that format?

Braun for sure. Probably not Kemp. He just doesn't seem to be playing like he's interested right now. Over the next 2 years, I'd rank them:

Braun
Upton
Kemp
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 16, 2010 4:40 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:
rich101682 wrote:

Nope

in a 2yr window? I might go for Braun there but i would have to put a lot of thought into it and as to why and how i project the two for the next two years.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:50 pm

HighHeater wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:
Nope

in a 2yr window? I might go for Braun there but i would have to put a lot of thought into it and as to why and how i project the two for the next two years.

Word. Long term, what do you see as Justin's upside?

.300+ 120-40-30-130? something like that for a typical season in his prime? Does he have 40+ HR power?

(those numbers are actually insane, maybe he hits them in his best years is a more realistic expectation)
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby rich101682 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:00 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:

Word. Long term, what do you see as Justin's upside?

.300+ 120-40-30-130? something like that for a typical season in his prime? Does he have 40+ HR power?

(those numbers are actually insane, maybe he hits them in his best years is a more realistic expectation)

Yeah, he's got 40 HR power easy. If he realizes his potential, I could see him putting up seasons of .280, 100-40-130-25 on a regular basis with maybe a few 40/30 or 45/30 MVP-type seasons in there.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 16, 2010 5:17 pm

im fairly comfortable in saying he has more power then Braun and Kemp right now. it hasn't translated statistically yet for him but his power is absolutely insane. He has natural loft in his swing and he can drive the ball out with ease. He's hit titanic home runs that kinda make you sit in awe, and all this in his early 20's. I can see him being a 40+ guy and losing his speed in his prime. His speed is something i don't think will stay but his power outlet will increase. He's virtually different player then his brother imo.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 pm

HighHeater wrote:can people relax on Justin Upton... it

Why should people relax? He has been a bust in terms of a early teens pick.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers