P90X - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

P90X

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: P90X

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 13, 2010 11:18 am

Inukchuk wrote:
bigken117 wrote:how much time/day does the workout take? I've thought about it, but with a FT job and two little kids, don't know if I could do it.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 1hr (regular workout) 15min (ab ripper)
Tuesday: 1hr plyometrics
Thurday: 1.5 hr yoga. I find this one drags a little...
Saturday: 1 hr kenpo/aerobic

The way I figure, if you're going to start a workout regimen at the gym, you're going to spend at least 2 hours when you take into account travel, prep, and workout. Also, p90x plus is significantly shorter (40 minutes to an hour), albeit far more intense. The nice thing is, the dvds keep you working at a consistent pace, which is something I found difficult to do at a gym. Also, you'll be at home doing it, so you can keep the kiddies close by. Or you could have them join in.

Or not.

I think Aqua had to sit down for a sec then ;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 am

i am a fata$$. 6'1 275...big beer belly

havent really worked out or ran consistently since i left college(5 years ago where i weighed 200)

im getting married in Oct...so i need to gte a little more fit before then..plus i need to stop being so lazy anyways for my health(i enjoy the alcohol too much)

any of these P90X exercises that i can start doing now without doing the full blown get ripped workout? i would imagine in my current state i couldnt do an hour of intense working out

we have some of those girl style dumbells that you see people using when they walk...so i was hoping to use those along with some aerobics to try and shed some pounds and get healthy

the only thing ive ever known is go to the gym and do standard stuff or run. so any different work outs that can be done at home would be great
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Thu May 20, 2010 1:19 pm

I think they have a variation on the actual workouts, called p90x lean. Basically, you're doing more of the cardio stuff and less of the weight based exercises. I don't think it's a whole ton easier though, as it's the same videos, just sequenced in a less strenuous way.

FWIW, I've seen few bigger, out of shape people find success with it. It just takes commitment and willingness to bust your butt.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby woodson_28 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Does anybody use a pull-up bar that they would feel comfortable recommending. I've been meaning to get one, but I don't want to drop $75 on the P90x specific one. I'm targeting around $30-50. I've read tons of reviews on amazon, but nothing conclusive. I'm thinking of just heading down to WM and picking up the $30 one they have (Iron Gym I think).
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:47 pm

woodson_28 wrote:Does anybody use a pull-up bar that they would feel comfortable recommending. I've been meaning to get one, but I don't want to drop $75 on the P90x specific one. I'm targeting around $30-50. I've read tons of reviews on amazon, but nothing conclusive. I'm thinking of just heading down to WM and picking up the $30 one they have (Iron Gym I think).

I use the Iron Gym and it works perfectly fine.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 24, 2010 3:17 am

What if you can't even do a pullup? I have zero uper body strength, but I have been looking for something to get me back into exercise. I just cannot ever get myself to go to the gym. I can be committed to a workout routine. I lost 60lbs in a year and half by being disciplined and exercise. I spent so long losing all the weight that I got burnt out on the routine of the gym.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Seatownfavorite » Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 am

Phatferd wrote:What if you can't even do a pullup? I have zero uper body strength, but I have been looking for something to get me back into exercise. I just cannot ever get myself to go to the gym. I can be committed to a workout routine. I lost 60lbs in a year and half by being disciplined and exercise. I spent so long losing all the weight that I got burnt out on the routine of the gym.

You use a chair or stool to assist yourself until you develop the strength. This program works really well if you can stay disciplined enough. I did 90 days last year, lost about 15lbs (down to 160) and gained a bunch of strength. I didn't diet at all because I thought that would be just too much of a shock to my system. It works but if you want to get cut there is no getting around the diet portion.
Seatownfavorite
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:03 am

The wife and I are starting week 6 tonight. It definitely kicks your ass. The impact workouts are hard on my knees and I continue to push myself to the point where I nearly puke each workout, but we're definitely seeing results. I recommend it for anyone who bores easily with other workouts and wants something that kicks your ass.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Seatownfavorite » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 pm

If you're looking to lose weight and get your cardio up I would suggest trying the Insanity workout. That one will kick your rear, I've been on the verge of puking several times. P-90X is a better all around workout and keeps it more interesting (and Tony Horton is a better/more interesting trainer) but for just cardio work Insanity is crazy.
Seatownfavorite
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm a skinny dude so I was more interested in staying in shape and possibly adding a little bulk. It's done that already. I didn't know my wife was going to do it with me when I bought it, but I'm glad she has since we've pushed each other when one of us hasn't wanted to do it. The Insanity workouts look intense for sure, but they also look like high impact workouts as well and my knees wouldn't put up with that too well.

Personally, I think Tony Horton is annoying as hell. But I think that comes with the territory.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk