P90X - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

P90X

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

P90X

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 pm

I've always enjoyed playing sports, so I've always been a reasonably in shape guy. My problem was always the whole production of going to the gym. I hated dragging myself out of the house, I hated waiting on machines, and I hated all the d-bags there solely for social purposes. The other problem I had was the tendency to get bulky. If I'd go too heavy, I started to resemble a pizza oven. If I went light with high reps, I was at the gym forever.

Anyway, I stopped working out for awhile and really got lazy. I was up to around 190 lbs, which doesn't sound horrible, but as some of you may remember from the 'How tall are you' thread, I'm 5'4". :-o :-b

I saw the commercial for P90X, and like any other infomercial, I disregarded it. Oddly enough, my brother in law didn't and started using it. He told me after using it for a week that it had a lot of high intensity body weight exercises (multi varied pushups/pullups and the like) and he wasn't into it. I asked him if I could take a look at it, so I tried day 1. I could do maybe 5 half assed pullups. There was a lady on the video outperforming me. I puked. I was sore for 3 days afterward. But I decided to stick with it so I bought my brother in law's DVDs.

3 months later, and I weigh 165 solid. I can pop out 25 wide grip pullups and lord knows how many chin ups. I play soccer and fly by 18 year old kids. It's ridiculous how well this thing works.

I figured I'd post this just to see if anyone else has done it, or to recommend it if anyone's struggling to find a decent fitness routine. It's not easy by any means, but it's incredibly effective and convenient.

Just figured I'd pass it along... ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: P90X

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 12, 2010 6:36 pm

I've heard fantastic things about P90X as well as it's even more advanced version (I believe it's called Hardcore or something like that) from people I work with. I did one day with a friend once and it was an awesome workout. If you do that for 90 straight days then what the videos claim will absolutely come true, as in your case. I thought about giving it a go, but hooked up with a nutritionist and personal trainer instead about two months ago, and have been doing a ton of different diverse workouts from mixed martial arts, to kettle bell exercise, to resistance training, and all sorts of other fun stuff. I'm never bored, go to the gym 6 days a week, and will soon be in better shape, probably than when I was playing soccer for U Albany.

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you have to purchase, in total, along with the P90X videos? I remember there being a yoga mat, some dumb bells, some yoga blocks, etc. all being where I did that one day, and I'm curious. May give it a go at some point, never know...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 372)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 12, 2010 8:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Out of curiosity, what exactly do you have to purchase, in total, along with the P90X videos? I remember there being a yoga mat, some dumb bells, some yoga blocks, etc. all being where I did that one day, and I'm curious. May give it a go at some point, never know...

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I've already taken care of the videos and guides, and I have some of the hardware on hand. My current workout routine is basically biking, pull-ups, and batting practice with 48 oz. of bat so this would be a hell of a step up.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 pm

All you really need is dumbbells, a pullup bar, and pushup stands. A yoga mat is good, but I wouldn't bother if you have carpet. He pimps out his own brand of equipment, but I just grabbed the cheap stuff at Target. There's also a bunch of other stuff he sells, like a recovery drink and meal replacement bars, but I never bothered with any of that stuff.

I actually finished the P90X program a few weeks ago and I'm currently doing the P90X plus, which is a more intense program for people that have already completed the original.

The thing I like the most about the program is it really improves functional strength and not just the typical glamor muscles. There's a ton of core work involved, the yoga's really improved my balance and flexibility, and the plyometrics (easily my favorite video of the bunch) has made me faster than I was in high school (15 years ago). Tony Horton really covers all the bases, and he's a prime example of how effective it is. The guy is 50 and ripped out of his mind.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Tony Horton really covers all the bases, and he's a prime example of how effective it is. The guy is 50 and ripped out of his mind.

I know. I am Tony Horton.

Did I just blow your mind?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 372)

Postby woodson_28 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:36 pm

I started doing this a few weeks back.
So, here's a few things I noticed:

1. The regular package: It comes in a box w/ the 13 DVD's + a nutrition book + work out planner. The work out planner is an outline of which exercises you should do on what days of the week (depending on what you're going for). The three settings are: lean, normal and power (or something). It just varies the work outs you do. The only work out you'll do almost every other day is the Ab Ripper, which is only like 8-13 mins or something (and is very intense). You don't have to follow the nutrition guide exactly. It tells you what to eat on what day depending on what exercise video you're doing. I use it more of a guide for cooking healthier meals for myself.

2. You don't really need anything else, but it would be usefully to have a pull up bar + dumbbells or one of those stretchy cord things.

3. Not really something you can just start doing if you've been sitting on your coach the last 6+ months. So don't just plan to jump in, no problem.

4. It goes for $120+ on his website, but it can be found for less on craigslist or ebay. I got mine off cl for under $70, and it was legit too.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:23 am

P90X was the first workout program I've ever done that got me ripped at all.....then I broke my arm and haven't been able to do it since....can't wait for the doctor to give me the OK to start again because I loved it.

All I bought was a yoga mat and some resistance bands (I already had some dumbbells). I also bought the recovery drink too.

Anyways, the absolute key is to follow the diet. Do the exercises and follow the diet and you're golden, I promise. PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby bigken117 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:10 am

how much time/day does the workout take? I've thought about it, but with a FT job and two little kids, don't know if I could do it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby Inukchuk » Thu May 13, 2010 9:33 am

bigken117 wrote:how much time/day does the workout take? I've thought about it, but with a FT job and two little kids, don't know if I could do it.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 1hr (regular workout) 15min (ab ripper)
Tuesday: 1hr plyometrics
Thurday: 1.5 hr yoga. I find this one drags a little...
Saturday: 1 hr kenpo/aerobic

The way I figure, if you're going to start a workout regimen at the gym, you're going to spend at least 2 hours when you take into account travel, prep, and workout. Also, p90x plus is significantly shorter (40 minutes to an hour), albeit far more intense. The nice thing is, the dvds keep you working at a consistent pace, which is something I found difficult to do at a gym. Also, you'll be at home doing it, so you can keep the kiddies close by. Or you could have them join in.

Or not.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 am

I found myself skipping Yoga after a while and doing long distance running instead....there were days where I didn't have time for that entire workout.....otherwise the rest should be fine.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to General Talk