Which prospects are you picking up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which prospects are you picking up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which prospects are you picking up?

Postby EL BURRO » Thu May 13, 2010 3:33 am

soty wrote:Assuming Heyward, Strasburg and Smoak are taken I would say guys like Santana, Stanton, Posey, Alvarez, Wallace and Jennings should be, will be owned in keepers before the year is done.

I play in a 14 team mixed league, non-keeper - and Im a Stanton owner... Still wondering if the Marlins make the move and call him up in June; they desperately need some life in that line-up. Would love to see him batting about 5th in that line-up everyday.

AGREE with your Carlos Santana, Buster Posey, Desmond Jennings comments.

Jennings -5 tool talent, but is stuck behind a loaded outfield in Tampa. Needs an injury cause Rays arent going anywhere - this is a World Series type squad this year...
Buster - great bat, but stuck behind Fatty . He's been mashing AAA so it wouldnt surprise me to see them call him up and pinch hit / util / catch him and get him 4 / 7 days per week ABs.
Carlos - seems to be a sure fire call up in June; nothing impressive about the catching in Cleveland right now and the Tribe is falling fast, which is good news for him. Or another way you can look at it; is there is no rush to call him up till his glove is ready.

The one guy being over-looked (a little) by the general fantasy population and the one Im most curious about is Brett Wallace. He seems to have a pretty clear path to the BIGS and hes been raking AAA for Vegas. 26 runs, 10 jacks, 30 rbis and batting .311 thru 34 games with an .998 OPS% and .621 SLG%. The better news is that hes handling leftys this year, granted its a small sample size -- but hes hitting to the tune of .410 with 40 ABs vs. leftys. That projects pretty nicely into the Jays line-up. I cant imagine that Overbay is long for the club, so just want to get everyone's thoughts on his development, ETA / call up and projections?

My league is competitive and deep (we roster 30 players) -so guys like Stanton, Santana, Jennings, Ike Davis, Smoak are already owned. Just want the head start on the next good thing and Im feeling bullish on Wallace and want your opinions.

Thx,
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwrtlm » Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 pm

I am in a very long running deep NL ONLY keeper salary league.
My farm of prospects are as follows:
S. Castro- activated
C. Heisey- Pending activation
C. Iannetta- Hopefully called up soon
B. Lawrie- maybe once R. Weeks implodes again
D. Norris- apparent to IRod and Flores or 1st base?
C. Marrero- big hitter in the Nats farm
K. Spiworth- Long time away from Florida lineup

Pretty good farm team I think, so I guess these guys are who I am buying!
Is Heisey more valuable than A. Pagan, S. Smith or M. Fontenot in my NL Only keeper league? This is my dilemna!
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:53 pm

In my 18-teamer we have deeper rosters, so more room for waiting on youngsters. Its also a CBS league (which although I hate CBS for pretty much everything else, they do rival ESPN and definitely top Yahoo for having minor leaguers already in the system) so MiLBers are usually in the system way before they get the call.

So far this year I've fielded the crops and added well ahead of time 3 players who I thought would make huge jumps early, and so far 2 of the 3 have:
Jhoulys Chacin and Derek Holland have looked stellar as my #7 and #8 starters. Also waiting on Carlos Santana who I drafted as a late round sleeper to replace AJ at C.

Others:
Mike Moustakas-Really think this is the year that he could make a big splash on the big club. After KC moved Alex Gordon to LF it opened a lot of doors for him.
Domonic Brown-Don't hear too much on the boards about him since last year, but he has been shreding AA to the tune of .340/.407/.681 with 7HR and 40R/RBI. If a spot opens and he gets the call he will be a major impact player right away.
Pedro Alvarez-Not much explaining needed here, he will get the call soon enough, been a long time waiting but should be worth your wait.
Chris Carter-Shouldn't be long before Oakland realizes that Chavez is a dog and that Carter could actually help them at DH. Has strong counting stats all the way through the ranks, in a bit of a funk to start the year at AAA Sacramento, still 8HR and 52R/RBI combined.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby EL BURRO » Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Quick question — anyone heard anything regarding Madison Bumgarner getting called up in June?

Wellermeyer Wiener isnt doing anything special to date:
2-3, 5.25 era, 1.42 whip, 25 ks in 36 ip. hardly impressive.

Bumgarner been lights out in last 2 starts. 2 wins, 0.75 era, 1.0 whip, 13ks in 13 ip.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

Postby bigken117 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:46 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:Domonic Brown-Don't hear too much on the boards about him since last year, but he has been shreding AA to the tune of .340/.407/.681 with 7HR and 40R/RBI. If a spot opens and he gets the call he will be a major impact player right away.

Yes, with Werth likely departing FA Brown looks in line to be the Phils RF for years to come starting next season.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby Montana168 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 am

bigken117 wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:Domonic Brown-Don't hear too much on the boards about him since last year, but he has been shreding AA to the tune of .340/.407/.681 with 7HR and 40R/RBI. If a spot opens and he gets the call he will be a major impact player right away.

Yes, with Werth likely departing FA Brown looks in line to be the Phils RF for years to come starting next season.

I agree. Even though many Phils fans refuse to accept the fact that Werth leaves in FA, I just don't see how they will be able to afford to keep him unless he crumbles in the 2nd half and that affects his market value tremendously. But I do not think there is any chance we see brown in the majors this yr, probably not even for a cup of tea in sept. The next step for Brown will be AAA, not the majors. He needs too many injuries to happen for him to even be considered called up, and even then i can see philly signing a name off the street before they rush brown if that would happen.

worst case senario for brown owners is that werth is resigned and brown has to wait one more yr for ibanez to become a free agent and he would be an injury away from cracking the starting OF spot in 2011.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jsphlly » Sat May 22, 2010 8:57 am

Any local grumblings about looming callups? It's about time to make a move...
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mak1277 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:44 am

Keep an eye out for Jose Tabata. He's got a 329/390/435 line at Triple A right now with 19 steals. He's not going to be much of a HR/RBI producer, but he should be able to post a solid average and steal some bases. He's also likely the first Pirates call-up. I envision Clement to the bench, Garrett Jones to 1b and Tabata in RF.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Sun May 23, 2010 10:44 pm

mak1277 wrote:Keep an eye out for Jose Tabata. He's got a 329/390/435 line at Triple A right now with 19 steals. He's not going to be much of a HR/RBI producer, but he should be able to post a solid average and steal some bases. He's also likely the first Pirates call-up. I envision Clement to the bench, Garrett Jones to 1b and Tabata in RF.

Do you think the Bucs will let Tabata lead off? It makes sense to me.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 502)

Postby neoforce » Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 am

Depending on your league, you may want to take a flyer on Jonathan LuCroy, Brewers catcher who was just called up.

Not expecting much from him this year, but my league is a deep, NL only keeper with 2 catchers and roster rules make it reasonable to pick him up now that he is in the MLB and possibly keep him (even when he is sent down) till next year when he might be the starter.

But probably not a big deal for "standard" leagues.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers