Which prospects are you picking up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which prospects are you picking up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which prospects are you picking up?

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue May 11, 2010 9:19 pm

With June only a few weeks away, we should be seeing some prospects called up soon. Someone in my 14 team roto league has already grabbed Carlos Santana and Pedro Alvarez. Obviously, Strasburg is also owned. Who else is worth a pickup in deeper leagues? Forgive me if there is already a similar thread.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which prospects are you picking up?

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue May 11, 2010 10:36 pm

My top 5 or so are:
Heyward- (already up).I didnt think he could possibly live up to the hype. I was wrong to this point, and will continue to be unless he totally falls on his face in the 2nd half

Carlos Santanna-Playing really well, and nothing whatsoever blocking his way. Posey got MUCH more pub(at least here in florida where he played college ball), coming into the season but he is as good or better imo. Position scarcity also helps move him to the top of my list

M.Stanton-I didnt expect him up till about sept. obviously really killing the ball with 14 hrs. Now I think he has forced them to call him up the minute they can do so and still save money.

Posey- I think he will be really good, but can't possibly live up to the hype imho.(note: thats what I thought about heyward for what its worth) The offensive strasburg. Also he is blocked by molina which hurts

Alvarez-I expected laroche to struggle more than he has and clear the way for him to get a fairly early callup. he hasn't but Alvarez is playing very solid in AAA and has to get the call at some point. Just not so sure it will be for a full time starting gig anymore.

Moustakas-didnt know much if anything about him coming into the season, but he has grabbed my attention(thanks to the cafe).

Strasburg-Tons and tons of hype. The whole world knows about him. If he were cheap I would have drafted him but he was rather expensive, specially for a young pitcher.

Storen-Capps' great start may have hurt his chances for an immediate JUNE 1st callup, but if the nats keep hanging around both him and strasburg may be called up anyways.
C.perez- I know hes already up, and hurt by kerry woods. I see them showing woods to trade him. then the job is all his.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LloydChristmas » Tue May 11, 2010 11:04 pm

In a redraft league, I'm really beginning to worry that a lot of these top prospects are getting overvalued. I've been following everyone you've mentioned heavily and I think I've personally fallen a little too much in love with some of them.

What's the consensus on Santana and Posey? Will they have Top-10 catcher value this year? Top 15?
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby taylor58700 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Heyward is the pleasure!
taylor58700
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Havok1517 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 pm

I'd add Carlos Carrasco to the list. Carrasco should make an impact sometime in 2010.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue May 11, 2010 11:21 pm

Keep a close eye on Hellickson (SP) TB. He could have a big impact if called up. He probably will need an injury though.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue May 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Also Desmond Jennings (OF) TB. From what I hear he is somewhat of a C Crawford clone. If the Rays stumble, fall out of contention, and trade Crawford this year...Jennings will take his spot. Crawford more than likely won't be with Tampa next year so Jennings might not impact until then.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby B-Chad » Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:Also Desmond Jennings (OF) TB. From what I hear he is somewhat of a C Crawford clone. If the Rays stumble, fall out of contention, and trade Crawford this year...Jennings will take his spot. Crawford more than likely won't be with Tampa next year so Jennings might not impact until then.

If Jennings is able to stay on the field, and continue to hit in Triple-A, he'll be up this year regardless of whether the Rays are contending (which I fully expect them to make a run at the division right down to the wire) or not. RF has been bad for the Rays, and Pat Burrell has been awful at DH. If memory serves Jennings the plan I remember reading is to play Jennings in CF and shove Upton over to RF. An OF of Crawford/Jennings/Upton is :-L both offensively and defensively.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 pm

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:Alvarez-I expected laroche to struggle more than he has and clear the way for him to get a fairly early callup. he hasn't but Alvarez is playing very solid in AAA and has to get the call at some point. Just not so sure it will be for a full time starting gig anymore.

I think the plan is for Andy LaRoche to be moved to 2B when Alvarez is ready to play 3B. That could be a pretty steep offense in the future for the Pirates in the future.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue May 11, 2010 11:54 pm

Despite his SLG, Alvarez is hitting for a mediocre average right now in the minors... has me worried he won't be able to post a passable average to be worthwhile in fantasy.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers