Keeper league dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper league dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper league dilemma

Postby drunkmonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm

This is the first year of our new keeper league. The following rules were made regarding keepers:
Code: Select all
Each team will be allowed to keep up to six players from one season to the next.  If you choose to do so, it will cost you a draft pick equal to the round where you drafted the player in the first year, increasing incrementally by one round each year the player is kept.  For example:
-You draft a player in the seventh round.
-You choose to keep this player for next season.  You forfeit your seventh round draft pick.
-You choose to keep the player for another season.  You forfeit your sixth round draft pick.
You will be allowed to keep a first round selection for one season, forfeiting your first round pick the following year.  After the second year, the player must be released back into the draft.

We realized we overlooked a few things. After trades, I will have 3 players on my team who were selected in the 4th round. If I decide to keep 2 or 3 of them, how should forfeited draft picks be handled? Along the same lines, what if I were to trade my 4th round pick sometime during the year? I know other leagues have similar rules to this, and I'm hoping someone can give some advice.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper league dilemma

Postby SumG » Wed May 12, 2010 11:37 am

I think you have a few options for this. For the situation where you have two players drafted in the same round you can:

1) Keep 1 player in that round and the other in the subsequent round (Manager chooses which one is which).
2) Keep 1 player in that round and the other in the previous round and one in the subsequent round (Manager chooses which one is which).

There are also two options for the keeper status for subsequent years:

A) Both players have the keeper status for the round they were drafted in.
B) Players have the keeper status for the round they were kept in.

I would tend toward option 2B, and I would also tend to be against option 1 entirely (I don't think there should be a loophole that lets people keep players at a higher value than they were drafted), but the choice is entirely in your (and your league's) hands. As long as the league agrees on a method, I think they all can work.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mkultra » Wed May 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I agree it's up to the league- there's no "correct" way to handle it, other than I'd make sure to clarify that a players "Keeper Round" for future value does not change in case of a tie.

In boardgame design, this is a recurring issue- whether ties are "friendly" (both players get the entire pot) or "unfriendly" (players share the pot, usually rounding fractions down). It's a matter of whether you want the game to be tighter and your choices harder. The same thinking should apply to your league- how tough do you want it?

Personally, I'd advocate the round previous to declared value (e.g. two 4th Round keepers force you to give up 3rd + 4th picks).
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby drunkmonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 pm

mkultra wrote:Personally, I'd advocate the round previous to declared value (e.g. two 4th Round keepers force you to give up 3rd + 4th picks).

I think this is what we're going to go with. Thank you both for your advice.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 am

mkultra wrote:Personally, I'd advocate the round previous to declared value (e.g. two 4th Round keepers force you to give up 3rd + 4th picks).

This is what we do in our league, and it works well.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Commissioner's Corner