Need help with my KEEPER LEAGUE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need help with my KEEPER LEAGUE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help with my KEEPER LEAGUE

Postby slomojo » Sun May 09, 2010 1:43 pm

This is my first year running a keeper league, though I've been commish for awhile now.

Our rule is that you can keep up to four players, but for each player you keep, you lose a draft pick. So if you kept three players you'd lose your first three rounds.

One thing we didn't clarify was HOW LONG you can keep a player. Is there standard practice for this? Three years? Five years? Forever?

All opinions welcome here...
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need help with my KEEPER LEAGUE

Postby bigmck » Sun May 09, 2010 5:52 pm

There is no standard. This is something that your league would decide. I would put the limit at having a player on your team for three years. Any player drafted in 2010 would have to be dropped at the end of 2012 to be in the Draft Pool of 2013. Any longer than this and it does not give everyone a chance to improve their team. The years should keep counting no matter how many times he is traded. By this I mean if you draft Pujols in 2010 and you traded him to me in 2011, I could only have him on my team until the end of 2012 and he would have to go into the Draft Pool of 2013. It is three years in the league period until he is required to be put back in the Draft.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Re: Need help with my KEEPER LEAGUE

Postby Kimbos Beard » Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 am

I tend to find that bigmck's format is a good keeper format. Allowing a player to be kept for three years is to me just the right amount of time, to allow someone to build a good team, but not allow a dominant team to just stay on top forever.

Now since you only keep 4 players and you give up a draft pick I think you could go a little longer, say allowing players to be kept 4-5 years, because you league seems to have enough checks and balances that it would not promote dynasty like teams.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Commissioner's Corner