Forget Riske - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Forget Riske

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Vikes24 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:23 am

Zito is God wrote:Having both Jimenez and Urbina on the squad puts TOO much pressure on Riske to be pefect, one mistake and hes replaced.

Maybe if he opens up any book or website, and actually LOOKS at Jimenez's carreer stats- that will settle him down a bit!
:-[
If the guy is going to "feel too much pressure" with those two clowns behind him- he should not be closing in a PRESSURE situation to begin with- "stud" or no "stud". It did not seem to bother Wagner, Gagne, Rivera, etc. having better than average set-up men.
Vikes24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:26 pm

Cleveland signing Urbina is not a done deal just yet. So until then Riske is the closer.
Also, can you say this situation is worse than some other closer situations? Here are some situations where I would currently prefer Riske (unless the possible Urbina signing becomes more than that):
Tigers' closers
Justin Speier/Aquilino Lopez
Rocky Biddle
Billy Koch
Nen/Herges (owners watch every Nen pitch with a microscope)
Hoffman (going out on a limb here, but he goes relatively early among closers and reportedly has a partially torn rotator cuff. Hmm)
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:38 pm

I don't think the Urbina to Cleveland deal gets done. If it does, it is only a matter of time before Urbina takes over as the closer. How much time? depends on David Riske. At the very, very least, Riske will be good for a couple of early save opps, as they ease U2 (<----I like that) into the role. Best case scenario for Riske is that they will not sign U2, and he will be the closer anyway. Jiminez is behind Riske, IMO.

But what if they do sign Urbina? He certainly wouldn't be ready to pitch by opening day. So let's say Riske goes on a Fassero-like 2001 tear, reals off 12 consecutive saves in the first month, and looks dominant. Then what do you do? Not likely to happen, but....

For my money, I'm betting they don't get U2 signed, Riske is the closer, and has a serviceable season.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers