100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"King" Felix Hernandez ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"King" Felix Hernandez ?

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat May 08, 2010 12:36 am

back to back bad outings.
yahoo news says maybe stiff back?
May 7 Hernandez turned in one of the worst performances of his career Friday, allowing eight runs -- seven earned -- in 3.1 innings. He walked four, struck out three and gave up three home runs.

Recommendation: Hernandez was wild early and loaded the bases in the first inning (two walks) with no outs. A double cleared the bases and later an unearned run scored on a sac fly. He then threw two perfect innings before imploding in the fourth. After a walk he gave up home runs to three of the next four batters. After another walk, his night was over. Perhaps Hernandez is still suffering from the stiff back that hurt him in his last outing. If not, then just chalk this one up to an ugly night.

anyone know for sure if it is still his back bothering him? should one be worried?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "King" Felix Hernandez ?

Postby gnarboots11 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:51 am

He seems to go through stretches like these every year and it's what has kept him from winning the cy young. I wouldn't be too concerned, it's pretty much the norm at this point, MAYBE BUY LOW?!?
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat May 08, 2010 12:53 am

His command looks to be off. I didn't watch either of these starts but he's throwing more balls than you would typically expect and he's inducing far fewer ground balls than he has throughout his career. Both of which can be explained by back issues. I don't think there's any reason to worry yet.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sat May 08, 2010 5:25 am

Back problem smack problem! nahhhhh thats not it. Mechanics off? nahhhhhh not that either. What the mariners and his agent don't want you to know is that I just traded for him hours before the game and there in lies the problem. Seriously though, I agree with the previous poster, that it is just his yearly 'cold streak' that he seems to go through every year so far in his career. At least that is what i am counting on.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby coma » Sat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm

I don't know what's going on, but damn he has been killing my fantasy team. Having your ace implode 2 games in a row is depressing.
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby hett2333 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:33 pm

coma wrote:I don't know what's going on, but damn he has been killing my fantasy team. Having your ace implode 2 games in a row is depressing.

Last year he had three bad starts out of four in May and look how he ended up.

6IP 10 H 6 ER
4 IP 6 H 5 ER
5.2 11 H 6 ER

Unless his back issues are more serious then were being lead on, I wouldn't worry about two bad starts. I'd be happy to take him off of any owners hands who are panicking...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseball77 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 pm

From Rotowire via ESPN:

Hernandez didn't have any back issues in Friday's awful start, but the team thinks there could be some mechanical problems that need to be fixed, the Seattle Times reports.
Spin:
Hernandez left his previous start early because of back stiffness. But that wasn't the cause of his trouble Friday. This time, he missed location too often, hanging his breaking ball and leaving his fastball up in the zone. Hernandez will get an extra day's rest with the off-day Monday to work through some of those mechanical issues.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby drunkmonkey » Thu May 13, 2010 3:24 pm

7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

He finally got his form back today. Any other Felix owners ready to punch Brandon League in the face?
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:13 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

He finally got his form back today. Any other Felix owners ready to punch Brandon League in the face?

I would be had I not accidentally left Felix on my bench :-B . In a way I'm kind of glad he didn't get the win since I'd have been even more pissed about this mistake.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:42 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
drunkmonkey wrote:7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

I would be had I not accidentally left Felix on my bench :-B . In a way I'm kind of glad he didn't get the win since I'd have been even more pissed about this mistake.

So you're ok having 7 innings of 1 run ball with 7Ks sitting on your bench, because he didn't get the W? :-?

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers