How do you plan for "Runs"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

How do you plan for "Runs"?

How do you plan for "Runs"?

Postby krunchyfrogg » Fri May 07, 2010 11:08 am

I've always had a hard time planning the "Runs" category for my teams. I aim for guys with speed, or a high batting average, or guys with power, but Runs and RBI are the two categories I have no idea how to scope out.

Any advice?
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do you plan for "Runs"?

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Runs and RBIs are at least to a certain extent dependent on where a guy bats in the order, and the strength of the offense he plays in. Guys will get runs when they're decent hitters and hopefully hit high in the order with good bats behind them (speed helps too). Guys will accrue RBIs when they're a decent hitter and hit behind a two or three other guys who can regularly get on base. I guess you could call both runs and RBIs context categories - you need to look at the team situation in order to figure them out. In both cases it's best to target guys in high powered offenses.

As a general rule of thumb you're looking at the 1 and 2 holes for runs, and the 3-5 holes for RBIs (and runs, to an extent). Guys hitting later in the order have less chances to accrue either stat, both because they're surrounded by (usually) weaker hitters, and also because the guys at the end of the order will get less ABs over the course of the season. That's the broad strokes anyway.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu May 13, 2010 7:38 pm

I agree with the first post. If you are looking for runs, pick up a player that bats 1st in the order, or 2nd.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby krunchyfrogg » Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am

Must just be bad luck early, but I rank 3rd from the bottom in Runs (the team is in my signature).

I picked up Victorino about a week ago, so I think that'll help.
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Get guys who hit near the top of the order and in front of guys who get lots of RBI. Lead off and 2 hitters with good OBPs are frequently good run producers. Even easier, just look for the guys that got a lot of runs last season whose situations haven't changed. If they did it last year, they'll probably do it this year.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:29 pm

thats a team built for power with not alot of speed.Victorino will help but with Rollins back he may go back to the middle of the order again.Reyes if he keeps this going will help out alot, you might consider moving Glaus or Butler for someone who hits higher in the order or has a little more foot speed. And really, for your purposes I think you can do better than Granderson, especially when he's going to be facing lhp that week.You've got enuf 5-6 hitters already
Leadoff men with good on base % on good offensive teams is who I'd be looking at, but I think you'll come up a little bit anyway
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby krunchyfrogg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 am

fast dogs wrote:thats a team built for power with not alot of speed.Victorino will help but with Rollins back he may go back to the middle of the order again.Reyes if he keeps this going will help out alot, you might consider moving Glaus or Butler for someone who hits higher in the order or has a little more foot speed. And really, for your purposes I think you can do better than Granderson, especially when he's going to be facing lhp that week.You've got enuf 5-6 hitters already
Leadoff men with good on base % on good offensive teams is who I'd be looking at, but I think you'll come up a little bit anyway

Man, has my team changed a lot in the 7 weeks since this post was made.

Thanks though!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Beginner's Forum