Deep, competitive NL-Only, need advice, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Deep, competitive NL-Only, need advice, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deep, competitive NL-Only, need advice, WHIR

Postby Relddem » Thu May 06, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm doing pretty well in this league, but my pitching is lacking at the moment. Its a 5x5 NL-Only Roto on CBS. Two catcher spots, five outfield, CI, MI, and the standard infield positions plus 9 Pitcher slots and 6 Reserve slots. I have some stashes that should help down the line, but I want to start thinking about trades. Here's my roster:

C - Yorvit Torrealba
C - George Kottaras
1B - Mark Reynolds
2B - Dan Uggla
3B - David Wright
SS - Stephen Drew
MI - Ian Desmond
CI - Ike Davis
OF - Carlos Gonzalez, Shane Victorino, Chris Young, Tony Gwynn Jr., Brett Carroll
Util - Eric Hinske

P - Clayton Kershaw, Ted Lilly, Ian Kennedy, Annibal Sachez, Felipe Paulino, Francisco Cordero, Octavio Dotel, Jason Motte, Carlos Villanueva

Reserve Hitters - Miguel Montero, Daniel Murphy, Jason Castro, Fernando Martinez

Reserve Pitchers - Aroldis Chapman, Jason Hammel

I've currently got a waiver claim in on the recently dropped Chris Coghlan, prepared to drop Murphy. I figure Coghlan makes a better stash at this point as he's more likely to have playing time. I'd initially drafted Murphy for my CI slot but hedged my bets by taking Ike Davis too, and it paid off. Coghlan will bounce back eventually and get more playing time and provide more value than someone like Carroll, Gwynn, or Hinske.

The only viable SP option I can see in the FA pool right now is Scott Olson. The only other available pitchers with anything resembling a starting slot locked up are Kyle Kendrick, Charlie Morton, Jamie Moyer, Todd Wellemeyer, Kris Benson, Daniel McCutchen, Chris Naverson, Brian Burress, and Jeff Karstens.

More than likely, I'll wait until Montero comes back and/or Castro gets called up to make a move. Then I can free up the roster spots currently held by Torrealba and Kottaras. Maybe I can even find a trade partner for them (not impossible in a two-catcher NL-only league). The one guy I feel like I can drop right now is Fernando Martinez, though as middle relievers with limited (but some) potential to close I can do without Motte or Villanueva as well. It would be nice to hold onto Martinez, he's more likely than a number of my outfielders to get regular ABs if he's called up, but it would probably take an injury to a Mets outfielder.

Aroldis Chapman will be up soon and he'll help, but I'm hurting in WHIP and he's another big fat question mark in that category. I'm hoping Hammel can bounce back and help me out a bit there too once he's healthy. I'm doing just fine in offense, leading my league with 56.0 total points even with the weak catchers holding down the fort. I'm no worse than third in any offensive cat, and highly encouraging is that I'm winning both HR ad SB. I'm also first in RBIs and somehow first in saves too. I'm middle of the pack in strikeouts, which is nice, but I'm no better than 10th in any of the other pitching cats. A bit of a pitching boost, especially in WHIP or ERA, and I'll have a great shot at the league title.

Leave a link and I'll take a look at your roster.
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team