SS-Jose Reyes
3B-Jorge Cantu
OF-Jacoby Ellsbury(dl)
OF-Carl Crawford
OF-Bobby Abreu
Util- Jayson Werth
Util-Adam Laroche
Bench players- Brett Gardner, Kosuke Fukodome,Marlon Byrd,Jay Bruce

Starting Pitchers- Tim Lincecum,John Lackey,Clayton Kershaw,Matt Cain, Jaime Garcia
Releivers- Jonathan Broxton, Joakim Soria, Jose Valverde
BronxBrawler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please rate my team

Postby Bferryvt » Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 am

Nice pitching staff, but Reyes and your OF both would worry me a bit, especially while Ellsbury is still out. If you could move Lincecum/Abreu for an upper-tier pitcher and a solid bat, that may be the option I would look at...I wouldn't move Cano...hate moving Lincecum, but that's where your value lies if you felt the need to make a move. Depends how your offense is performing against the rest of the league.

Any thoughts on mine?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=410652
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby waltb87 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:43 am

Wow, you do have a good pitching staff...but you are lacking some power, you have base stealers with the potential of stealing forty or more in reyes, crawford, ellsbury, and brett gardner, and jason werth will get you a few too...but if I were you I would try to get some power from free agency or something. I think the two players on your team with the most potential to hit the most homeruns is adam laroche and jayson werth, so you may want to look elsewhere...perhaps maybe trading away some of your speed in crawford for someone with the potential to hit 30+ homeruns...IMO
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby maxer » Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 am

Funny, i agree and disagree with the other responses. You have a solid infield with very goodpower potential - i just dont see the criticsm of a lack of power yet: when your C when he finally decides to join the living he will mash; 1B will provide great numbers once the rest of the angels decide to start hitting some more, but dont look for last year's production, this year's angels team on the whole is not as powerful as last; 2B Cano is awesome so far in april, he will slow down, but great power for a 2B; 3B is underrated and hitting between 4-6 spots in lineup will surely give 100R/100RBI season with 20-25HR; SS - dont let the naysayers tell you otherwise, Reyes will be a valuable option this year, but this is only weakness in your infield. OF wise: hopefully Ellsbury will be back soon, but Werth is a good fill in w 20-25HR potential, minimal steals; Crawford will be amazing, just lacking power punch, but great trade off with other tools; Abreu will rebound, currently getting some bad luck and his BABIP will rise along with average and once he gets on base more the 20SB will come too, but dont expect more than 10 dingers rest of season. and its interesting to see Laroche hitting better this early. He will never sustain it, but if he makes it thru May (career wise his average dips even lower than career avgs for april) he will be a welcomed surprise. just watch his splits.

Bench players- Brett Gardner, Kosuke Fukodome,Marlon Byrd,Jay Bruce

Why is on earth is Gardner on your bench right now? Hopefully youve been playing him in April?! KoFu will only be an asset before AS Break, after that his value will shrivel up and disappear, trade him high. Byrd - decent seat warmer & if bruce can get hot, and you can sustain his low low avg, he will be a shoe in for 20-30 bombs ... i had him on my team but dropped him for rasmus early on and havent looked back yet, but am watching and waiting as he will hit .300 some weeks with 4 bombs and like 10RBI/R and then hang out in the ice box for another 2 weeks or so.

I dont think much needs to be said about your pitching - its solid, except im not a big Lackey fan. His xFIP suggest he is due for a rise in ERA and cant expect alot of SO with him. W potential is there if boston can start hitting better, but like the angels, they have a weaker offense this year. Im a bit of a wildcard when it comes to pitching and like to take chances. With the relief staff you have you might take a flyer on some of the hotter young pitchers out there right now and stream them after dropping lackey. RP will support a few bad mistakes, but the upside of high K kids might make it worth it, just watch your match ups. If Sanchez, SF is on the wire, grab him in exchange for Lackey.

Bottom line: if your worried about any position with a lack of power or production, your league isnt deep enough where there shouldnt be some value on the wire at any given time. just drop one of your players (Lackey) and keep em till they run cold.

i dunno, does any of this help? where are you in standings and what do you see your weaknesses as?
maxer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BronxBrawler » Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks everyone. I have to say that I agree more with Maxer. I think that I will get decent OVERALL power production. No real bombers, but Werth, LaRoche, Martinez, Cano and Morales should get me 20+ HR's each. I just dropped Bruce for Raul Ibanez and I expect reasonable production from him considering the lineup around him. MY 1 major concern right now is Clayton Kershaw. I could spot start him and get some K's, but I dont trust him on an every start basis and I dont like to have pitchers I cant trust. Some of the pitchers I am watching as possible replacements are Shaun Marcum, Jonathan Sanchez, CJ Wilson or Rich Harden. Opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
BronxBrawler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Postby maxer » Fri May 07, 2010 2:49 pm

BronxBrawler wrote:MY 1 major concern right now is Clayton Kershaw. I could spot start him and get some K's, but I dont trust him on an every start basis and I dont like to have pitchers I cant trust. Some of the pitchers I am watching as possible replacements are Shaun Marcum, Jonathan Sanchez, CJ Wilson or Rich Harden. Opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey BronxBrawler, thanks for the cudos, im just glad im able to help. I didnt mention this yesterday but our teams are eerily similar and I too held Clayton Kershaw. Held being the operative word here. I agree with your comments about Kershaw and think I overpaid for him in the draft, despite drafting him in a later round. I have been thus far dissatisfied with his services and am sick of gambling every outing on whether or not he will a) last 5 innings and b) if the dodgers offense will come to life for him (prior to his last outing he was only getting 1.4runs/game in support). You and the rest of the people on this forum might think im crazy for this http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=410357, but I out right dropped him and picked up Jaime Garcia off the wire. He is quite the dark horse and I will probably regret my decision later on as someone has already picked him up, but the way i see it -- your the one who has to deal with that mess, not me.

Now regarding your replacement options - they are not much better, but if you play your cards right, one or two of them might shine now and then.... first off, Jon Sanchez is not much better than Kershaw so unless you want similar pains avoid at all costs. He does have the K's and has been going deeper than Kid K, but there is still a downside despite the high upside of K's. His era will soon rise as he has been terribly lucky thus far and will of course allow more runs etc. Ive just been reading others recommendations about Shaun Marcum and havent looked into him yet to comment. Ive been watching CJ Wilson since the season began and as a RP turned SP he is doing well, but im worried about his long term potential and expect him to fizzle out as his innings increase beyond his usual workload, but it would be my recommendation to spot start him playing your match ups right (ie - at home where the rangers offense rules) and being careful. Im avoiding Rich Harden despite any nice games he might have, too erratic. But why just settle on one pitcher when you can stream from the wire all you like week to week?? I did that towards the end of the season last year and went from last to third by playing my options well and looking at matchups - you win some you lose some, but you learn a lot. Some tips: Right now Padres pitchers rule - check out their SP's era for april. They are almost unstoppable at home and with the way their offense is winning games, its a no brainer to stream them almost exclusively against some of the weaker teams in their league, ie - avoid power teams. If you ever have questions about who to stream, feel free to ask, and i will give you my best shot at an educated guess.

good luck! and if you get a chance, ive got a team that needs some help too!
maxer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team