Miguel Cabrera All Star - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera All Star

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Cabrera All Star

Postby thejusman1 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:37 pm

thedude wrote:He is one of the few players today who could win the triple crown (though it is doubtful he will). Everyone knows he is good, so there really isn't much to talk about, just like Albert Pujols.

Yep. It's like making a thread about how nasty Roy Halladay is. Pretty much a given at this point.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby vykeengfan » Thu May 06, 2010 3:28 am

i was totally surprised when i got him in my auction for $22. someone made the comment "that much?". looks like a great buy now.
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:Funny, I was just considering starting a thread about him, too. Hard to believe the guy is just 27 years old considering all he's accomplished--it seems he's been around forever already. What's scary is, typically speaking, he should just now be hitting his power prime. I think right now he has to be the consensus second ranked 1B behind Pujols with Fielder, Teix, and to a lesser degree, Howard, all struggling.

I wonder where he would go in drafts held today? Pujols, Hanley, Utley, Longoria, Braun, Miggy? I think he deserves a spot in the top 6.

FYP ;-D

So 40ish points of batting average is offset by position?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 am

Yeah, I think Cabrera has HOF talent.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 102)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu May 06, 2010 9:53 am

Inukchuk wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:Funny, I was just considering starting a thread about him, too. Hard to believe the guy is just 27 years old considering all he's accomplished--it seems he's been around forever already. What's scary is, typically speaking, he should just now be hitting his power prime. I think right now he has to be the consensus second ranked 1B behind Pujols with Fielder, Teix, and to a lesser degree, Howard, all struggling.

I wonder where he would go in drafts held today? Pujols, Hanley, Utley, Longoria, Braun, Miggy? I think he deserves a spot in the top 6.

FYP ;-D

40ish? Miggy is a career .313 hitter.. but more importanatly it seems that Cabrerra has topped out. he's shown us how good he is capable of being. Which is no doubt exceptional.. .320, 34 hr, 115 RBI.. but whats scary about longoria is that he is just about there. he is there in hr and RBI and this is only his 3rd season. he made significant progress last season and looks this year as though he is still getting better. no clue where the ceiling is for longoria. but is .310, 42hr, 125 RBI impossible? no, it is safe to say that it is not. and he plays 3rd base. :^
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 403)

Postby mtxdevil » Thu May 06, 2010 10:06 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
FYP ;-D

40ish? Miggy is a career .313 hitter.. but more importanatly it seems that Cabrerra has topped out. he's shown us how good he is capable of being. Which is no doubt exceptional.. .320, 34 hr, 115 RBI.. but whats scary about longoria is that he is just about there. he is there in hr and RBI and this is only his 3rd season. he made significant progress last season and looks this year as though he is still getting better. no clue where the ceiling is for longoria. but is .310, 42hr, 125 RBI impossible? no, it is safe to say that it is not. and he plays 3rd base. :^

I disagree that Cabrera has "topped out." He's going to put career numbers up this year.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu May 06, 2010 10:14 am

he has put up nearly identical numbers for the past 5 straight seasons.. he is amazingly consistant and very, very good..(and has played no less than 157 games in any year) but there is no reason that after 5 straight years, there is some sort of new light bulb or skill that he is going to find to put him in another level. Bonds is the only player I can reallly think of that did something like that.. and last I checked the MLB is pretty strict about steroids now..
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu May 06, 2010 10:15 am

check that.. 6 years..
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mtxdevil » Thu May 06, 2010 10:23 am

I agree that his skillset is still around the same as before. What I think has changed is his mental status, which we know is important as well. In the past it was obvious when he was giving away at bats, and that happened quite frequently. It seems like he's putting in full effort for each at bat this year, and I think it will show in his numbers.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Thu May 06, 2010 11:35 am

lastingsgriller wrote:40ish? Miggy is a career .313 hitter.. but more importanatly it seems that Cabrerra has topped out. he's shown us how good he is capable of being. Which is no doubt exceptional.. .320, 34 hr, 115 RBI.. but whats scary about longoria is that he is just about there. he is there in hr and RBI and this is only his 3rd season. he made significant progress last season and looks this year as though he is still getting better. no clue where the ceiling is for longoria. but is .310, 42hr, 125 RBI impossible? no, it is safe to say that it is not. and he plays 3rd base. :^

Eh, the problem with using Miggy's career average is it takes his age 19 and 20 seasons into account. Since then, his career avg (which is more than enough of a sample size to base projection on, IMO) is 321. If you really want to drive the point home, you could discount his first year in Detroit (292) as an adjustment period. Aside from that year, his lowest yearly average was 320. He's a legitimate threat to win the batting crown every year, and I have no problem projecting at least a 325 avg from him.

Clearly, Longo is young and still developing, but with the K rates he carries (and has always carried), I see no way he ever gets to 310 barring a fluky BABIP year.

Look at it this way: from age 20 to 24, Cabrera carried a 313 avg all compiled against major league pitching. During the same age span, Longoria batted 289, but 40% of his ABs were against minor league pitching.

So to answer your question: a 310 avg might not be impossible, but I find it to be very improbable. Also, to say Cabrera has topped out in May of his age 27 season is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.

As I said, if you value his position scarcity more than the 40 odd points of batting average you'd be losing, then yeah, Longo's better. I don't, and that's why I'd prefer Miggy.

By the way, did you really need to include that smug little smiley at the end? Pretty rude way to respond, imo...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers