Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A-Rod

Postby Geek » Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Geek wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
.280, 30 hr, 100 rbi is A-Rod's floor(he did this even in 444 AB last year) while it is pretty close to Zimmerman's ceiling, that is the reason for the difference in draft position. A-Rod still has the upside to hit 40-45 HR, I really don't think Zimmerman can go much higher than the 33 he hit last year.

It seems very much in doubt whether he has 40+ HR upside anymore. The last time he was north of 40+ HR was 2007. Each year he gets older and further removed from his prime.

He has marginally more upside--this season--than Zimmerman, but has definitely fallen from the top of the 3b heap behind Longoria and Wright. More like a 3rd rounder than a #3 overall.

Longoria is creeping up on him but I don't understand why someone would take Wright over him after last year. And I definitely wasn't inferring that he was a lock for 40 HR, but I would definitely wager on him hitting 40 over Zimmerman and Wright. Once you consider his R/RBI numbers hitting 4th in the Yankees lineup, I would still take him today over any other 3b option including Longoria.

Wright:

Is 7 years younger
Hasn't missed over two months with injuries the past two years
Steals 10-15 more bases per year
Hits about .15 in average
Doesn't have the ex-juicer cloud hanging over him (raise your hand if you're certain A-Rod didn't juice in 2005-2007)

It's only May, and A-Rod is already gimpy--after missing 20+ games with injury the past two years.

And, he had perhaps the worst power month of his career (certainly since his Mariner days). He very likely could have fewer April-May HRs than he did last year--and he didn't play in April last year.

He's still going to be a productive player, but all signs point to his elite status being a thing of the past.
Last edited by Geek on Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm trying to steal him in a couple leagues
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed May 05, 2010 1:35 pm

I still say Arod is in a a very elite crowd.. but I believe that he has been passed by a significant margin by Longoria... Longoria, it seems keeps getting better every day.. they are equal players at worst right now and who knows where Longoria's ceiling is..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby Montana168 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Doesn't have the ex-juicer cloud hanging over him (raise your hand if you're certain A-Rod didn't juice in 2005-2007)

Have you seen wright this yr? He came into camp beefed up with enormous arms compared to last yr. Can you say for CERTAIN that he didnt juice in the offseason? no. :-?

Point is, NO ONE can say for certain who did or who did not use steroids other than the player coming out and telling us (unless your barry bonds), yes a-rod used steroids in the past when he was in texas, but that certainly does not mean he was using them when he had his MVP yr with the yanks. for all we know, albert pujols could be on roids. no one can be CERTAIN of anything.

side note, arod will be fine. it is april people. kelly johnson has more homers than arod, teix and pujols. you think that'll be the case in sept? of course not.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby urbanbreez » Wed May 05, 2010 7:45 pm

It's arod so we can expect people to get all asshat about him. Steriods, etc. Highlighted hair, etc. Fact is, he's about as good a 3B as there is right now.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:53 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Highlighted hair, etc.

Now I don't care who you are, if you don't think thats funny you can get the hell out!

Anyway, lets not forget when making the comparision to Arod from Zimmerman, the lineups the both hit in. Even going from Wright to Arod, the lineup change is huge.

Also the talk about Arod and injuries, what about Zimmerman, hes been gimpy since week 2 (I love Zimmy, but come on play fair here). Whether Arod juiced or not I don't care, there isn't negative points in fantasy for Juicers, so if hes not suspended or missing games hes all positive in my lineup!

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby gnarboots11 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Don't forget he also likes to tan at the park and wears purple lipstick.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 am

Geek wrote:He's still going to be a productive player, but all signs point to his elite status being a thing of the past.

What signs?
What expert (real baseball) did you talked to?
Or if you read it somewhere please post a Link.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Geek wrote:He's still going to be a productive player, but all signs point to his elite status being a thing of the past.

What signs?

Other than games played, home runs and RBIs declining two straight years and being off to the worst start in his career this year? And it's only May and he's already having health issues.

To put it another way--there are no signs from 2008-2010 that he is still an elite player. 2007 was the last season he put up elite numbers.

He is 35, showing decreasing productivity and increased injuries, falling over at least one statistical cliff (from 54 HRs in 2007 to 30 last year and on pace to hit 10 this year). Give me David Wright or Longoria over that any day.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri May 07, 2010 11:53 am

Geek wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:

What signs?

Other than games played, home runs and RBIs declining two straight years and being off to the worst start in his career this year? And it's only May and he's already having health issues.

To put it another way--there are no signs from 2008-2010 that he is still an elite player. 2007 was the last season he put up elite numbers.

He is 35, showing decreasing productivity and increased injuries, falling over at least one statistical cliff (from 54 HRs in 2007 to 30 last year and on pace to hit 10 this year). Give me David Wright or Longoria over that any day.

He is done as an elite player cause he isnt hitting 50 bombs every year?
Wow.
Or because he wasnt elite in April?
102 ABs 5 HR 11 RBI .235
This was his line in May 2007. Turned out that he wasnt declining.

So you say that 30+ 100+ is elite from Longoria and Wright but not elite from A-Rod in a short season?
I dont see it that way. He must go a full season without reaching 30 HRs 100 RBIs, before I say he is done as elite.

Although age can be a factor with injuries, it doesnt mean that it was a factor in A-Rod's injury.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers