A-Rod - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A-Rod

Postby maxer » Mon May 03, 2010 3:02 pm

So whats your take on A-Rod this year? Is he just slumping? Will he be an elite player again this year? Why was his draft position so high? If someone offered him to you at this point in the season, would be interested?
maxer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A-Rod

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:10 pm

he'll still do his thing and hit 30 bombs, just a slow start
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby gnarboots11 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:12 pm

I would not be interested in trading for him. He is an ex-roider, which is a fact. We all know what happens with ex-roiders in their 30's who have to quit the juice, they fall off the face of the earth. He may be gifted with more skills than every other ex-roider we know about, but he will still be on the steep decline over the next few years till he becomes a complete shell of his former self. He will not be breaking any lifetime homerun records like the Yankees thought when they gave him the mega contract.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:16 pm

ARod will be fine this year and should put up great numbers for several more seasons.

Oh, and I highly doubt he's "quit the juice." In all likelihood, he's still using some kind of undetectable performance enhancer like Manny was/is.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby urbanbreez » Mon May 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Ex-roider or no, he's about as sure a lock for 30/.280/100 that you can find.

Trade for him if you can.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gnarboots11 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:23 pm

if I wanted a .280, 30hr, 100rbi third baseman id just draft Ryan Zimmerman and pass on taking one overall 3rd in the draft. In fact, Ryan Zimmerman has more upside than Arod nowadays. Things have changed fellas, get with the times.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:41 pm

gnarboots11 wrote:if I wanted a .280, 30hr, 100rbi third baseman id just draft Ryan Zimmerman and pass on taking one overall 3rd in the draft. In fact, Ryan Zimmerman has more upside than Arod nowadays. Things have changed fellas, get with the times.

.280, 30 hr, 100 rbi is A-Rod's floor(he did this even in 444 AB last year) while it is pretty close to Zimmerman's ceiling, that is the reason for the difference in draft position. A-Rod still has the upside to hit 40-45 HR, I really don't think Zimmerman can go much higher than the 33 he hit last year.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Mon May 03, 2010 4:01 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
gnarboots11 wrote:if I wanted a .280, 30hr, 100rbi third baseman id just draft Ryan Zimmerman and pass on taking one overall 3rd in the draft. In fact, Ryan Zimmerman has more upside than Arod nowadays. Things have changed fellas, get with the times.

.280, 30 hr, 100 rbi is A-Rod's floor(he did this even in 444 AB last year) while it is pretty close to Zimmerman's ceiling, that is the reason for the difference in draft position. A-Rod still has the upside to hit 40-45 HR, I really don't think Zimmerman can go much higher than the 33 he hit last year.

This.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Geek » Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am

KCollins1304 wrote:

It seems very much in doubt whether he has 40+ HR upside anymore. The last time he was north of 40+ HR was 2007. Each year he gets older and further removed from his prime.

He has marginally more upside--this season--than Zimmerman, but has definitely fallen from the top of the 3b heap behind Longoria and Wright. More like a 3rd rounder than a #3 overall.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 am

Geek wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

It seems very much in doubt whether he has 40+ HR upside anymore. The last time he was north of 40+ HR was 2007. Each year he gets older and further removed from his prime.

He has marginally more upside--this season--than Zimmerman, but has definitely fallen from the top of the 3b heap behind Longoria and Wright. More like a 3rd rounder than a #3 overall.

Longoria is creeping up on him but I don't understand why someone would take Wright over him after last year. And I definitely wasn't inferring that he was a lock for 40 HR, but I would definitely wager on him hitting 40 over Zimmerman and Wright. Once you consider his R/RBI numbers hitting 4th in the Yankees lineup, I would still take him today over any other 3b option including Longoria.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers