My team, and your thoughts on ways to boost my pitching... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My team, and your thoughts on ways to boost my pitching...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My team, and your thoughts on ways to boost my pitching...

Postby JediJoe22 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 am

Hey guys; it's my first post so sorry in advance if I'm breaking any rules etc...
Anyway, quick rundown of my league: it's a rather deep, 16 team, non-keeper, 6x6 roto-league (R-HR-RBI-SB-AVG-OPS and W-SV-K-WHIP-ERA-QS). The wire is pretty thin, especially in pitching. All the managers are generally knowledgeable so fishing for a sucker trade is a no go :-D .

Thanks for taking the time! I know the post is a bit long but I try to be as thorough as I can, and definitely WHIR the best I can.

C-Joe Mauer
1B-Justin Morneau
2B-Alberto Collaspo
3B-Ian Stewart
SS-Derek Jeter
OF-Marlon Byrd
OF-Josh Hamilton
OF-Brett Gardner
UTIL-Kosuke Fukudome
BN-Carlos Quentin
BN-Chipper Jones
-----------------------------
P-Adam Wainwright
P-Javier Vasquez
P-Carlos Zambrano (RP)
P-Bronson Arroyo
P-Jamie Moyer
P-Mitch Talbot
P-Jon Garland
P-Homer Baily
RP-Francisco Cordero
RP-Chad Qualls

My Take, and League Standing:
So, a month into the season I'm placed 8th out of 16 teams and what I need is clear: PITCHING! I thought Wainwright and Vasquez would be my generally sure things, with Zambrano and Arroyo as my middle tier guys while working a slim wire to fill in the holes. I thought Zambrano couldn't do any worse than last season, and say what you want about Arroyo, but I picked him up last year and he benefited my team quite a bit. Obviously didn't work out considering Vasquez's stat line and the fact Zambrano isn't even starting anymore. Pretty much the only starter I've had doing anything all season is Wainwright, as Talbot and Garland are pickups this week. In other words, my staff has imploded and I find myself dead last in ERA, WHIP, and QS. I'm in the bottom few in the W and K categories, though I do lead SV's.

Offensively things have been okay. I lead in AVG only, but am ranked in the top handful of teams in all other categories except for SB, where I fall in the middle. I originally thought Chipper would be my starting third-baseman, but has since lost it to Stewart. I dropped Nick Johnson and picked up Fukudome around the time Quentin started slumping, so I've been starting him instead since the transaction.

Trade Potential:
-I generally give guys time to turn things around, but as of his last start I'm sold on considering Vasquez a bust pick. I want to move him while I still can, and currently have another manager interested and offering me some huge "half the team" trade. I'm looking to work it down to something revolving around Kevin Millwood and Justin Masterson for Vasquez. But he's also very interested in Quentin, and while I'm more confident in his ability to produce in the long run I'm willing to let him go. He has Liriano, and I think I may be able to convince him on Vasquez and Quentin for Liriano. Anyone have any input on that? I think Liriano's going to have a great year (another manager snagged him the pick before me) and I feel like I can live without Quentin, especially with the surprising production out of Byrd and Fukudome thus far.

-I'm willing to move Mauer. I don't want to, but I need a big ace desperately. One manager has offered me Ubaldo Jimenez straight up, including Miguel Olivio to fill in my catcher position. That's something I wanted to specifically talk about, do you think Olivio has the ability to maintain? I like his production thus far, but know nothing about the guy. Another problem is that this manager leads the league in just about everything, and I don't want to add Mauer to his war chest--he's got deep enough pitching to be able to lose Ubaldo.

-I'm also thinking about offering another manager Mauer for Matt Garza or CC and Ryan Doumit. I get a good replacement catcher and the comfort of giving Mauer to a team that isn't doing so hot. I don't know if he'd be interested or not, but I'm thinking I would prefer this trade to the aforementioned--unless I knew that Olivio would hold steady. What do you think?

-I've also considered trading Mauer and Vasquez to another manager for Geovany Soto, Ivan Rodriguez, and Barry Zito or Dan Haren. I'd then move Rodriguez while he's hot to one of the many catcher-starved teams in my league for a decent pitcher.

-Some managers have been interested in Jeter, but in my league it would be next to impossible to get a decent replacement SS. Plus the offers around him haven't been too hot.

-Kind of a side question, but who do you see better this season: Michael Cuddyer or Josh Hamilton? In one of those trades I mentioned I may be able to get Cuddyer, though I would almost certainly have to give Hamilton in return.

-Any other suggestions? Specific players I should try to trade for? Which of those trade ideas do you like the best?

Wire Action:
My league's wire is pretty shabby. To put it into perspective, the best SP available is Ian Kennedy.
JediJoe22
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My team, and your thoughts on ways to boost my pitching...

Postby krunchyfrogg » Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Since the guy offering you Jiminez is already dominating the league, ask for a better pitcher. You just might get it! Since he's offering you two players for Mauer, you'll have to drop a guy anyway, so offer him two for his best pitcher +Olivo.

I think Olivo could be pretty good. You're taking a chance, but heck, you need to shake your pitching up. Besides, Mauer might be hurt for a while so I'd try to move him ASAP. That injury might linger all season.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=410413&p=3261025#p3261025
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team