Big Papi back..?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Papi back..??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby garf112 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:59 pm

I dropped him that morning. When I saw him hit two HRs, all I thought was, "gee, maybe someone will use their waiver claim on him."

Unless he puts a week of at bats that look good together, he is not coming near any of my teams (except the 20 team league with a deep bench).
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 2307
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 10 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby ROC AllStars » Tue May 04, 2010 12:26 pm

garf112 wrote:Unless he puts a week of at bats that look good together, he is not coming near any of my teams (except the 20 team league with a deep bench).


Agreed. Even if he does come around to last years second half numbers, he will hurt you in a number of categories and has limited eligability (in ESPN, anyway). The HR are nice to see, but IMO Papi's days of fantasy relevance are, at best, numbered.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 2073
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby Matthias » Tue May 04, 2010 10:48 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:
garf112 wrote:Unless he puts a week of at bats that look good together, he is not coming near any of my teams (except the 20 team league with a deep bench).


Agreed. Even if he does come around to last years second half numbers, he will hurt you in a number of categories and has limited eligability (in ESPN, anyway). The HR are nice to see, but IMO Papi's days of fantasy relevance are, at best, numbered.

Yah. He's being pinch hit for in key situations and proving that he should have been in others. Mike Lowell is also eating into his regular starts. I wouldn't completely rule out a Big Papi useful period this year but I'd probably be too late to pick him up, waiting for him to prove it.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby nsulham » Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 pm

That GIDP with the bases loaded in the eighth is about as low as you can get. Thankfully Hermida saved the day but that was a fail of craptacular proportions by Papi.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4883
Joined: 26 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlottesville

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby HipHipJorge » Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 pm

I wrote a eulogy for Big Poopi a few weeks ago on this forum. I still stick to it. He is dead as a fantasy asset.

If you watched games you would know. Looks lost. Slow. Can't hit his money pitch anymore. Swinging at shizz. Can't move or score runners. Ground ball rate highest in career, same with swinging at balls outside the zone. Lowell doin work. Just a mess. To bad too, I used to love him.
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 535
Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby Matthias » Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:I wrote a eulogy for Big Poopi a few weeks ago on this forum. I still stick to it. He is dead as a fantasy asset.

If you watched games you would know. Looks lost. Slow. Can't hit his money pitch anymore. Swinging at shizz. Can't move or score runners. Ground ball rate highest in career, same with swinging at balls outside the zone. Lowell doin work. Just a mess. To bad too, I used to love him.

I still do love him but just as a Red Sox fan and not as someone expecting big fantasy spots. But I raised his fantasy warning flags 2 years ago in April. I haven't touched him in fantasy since. And he hasn't touched his old standard of .600 SLG.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby gnarboots11 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 am

He should hang it up, he is the laughing stock of baseball.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 337
Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby Matthias » Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 am

gnarboots11 wrote:He should hang it up, he is the laughing stock of baseball.

Oh, there's still worse. But he should take a trip down to Pawtucket or Lowell or Cuban ball. You can tell by the way that he's interacting with the media that he's being eaten up by it and that's just not good for anybody. He needs a long, serious time to figure out how well he really can play, what he can feel confident doing, and what he can no longer expect from himself.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 am

Matthias wrote:
HipHipJorge wrote:I wrote a eulogy for Big Poopi a few weeks ago on this forum. I still stick to it. He is dead as a fantasy asset.

If you watched games you would know. Looks lost. Slow. Can't hit his money pitch anymore. Swinging at shizz. Can't move or score runners. Ground ball rate highest in career, same with swinging at balls outside the zone. Lowell doin work. Just a mess. To bad too, I used to love him.

I still do love him but just as a Red Sox fan and not as someone expecting big fantasy spots. But I raised his fantasy warning flags 2 years ago in April. I haven't touched him in fantasy since. And he hasn't touched his old standard of .600 SLG.


I agree to an extent, but if you bought into him late last May like I did, you got the most bombs in the AL from that point forward last year. This year, however, I'm afraid it may be it.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Big Papi back..??

Postby nsulham » Fri May 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Two more HR so far tonight for Ortiz making it five in his last nine games. At this point I think he is what he is and can help you in the HR/RBI department but expect to see those numbers coming from a lot of 1/4 kind of nights.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4883
Joined: 26 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlottesville

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Oct. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Detroit at Baltimore
(5:37 pm)
Kansas City at LA Angels
(9:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact