Beltran...keep or cut bait???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Beltran...keep or cut bait????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltran...keep or cut bait????

Postby Ruby Tues. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:37 pm

I was looking for a post on him and couldn't find one. For those that have him what are you doing? He is sitting on my bench and I am trying to figure out what to do....

Thanks Ruby
Ruby Tues.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Beltran...keep or cut bait????

Postby orejed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:38 pm

You asked a complex question. I actually picked him up about three weeks ago to stash him on my dl spot. But I'm in a league with five bench spots so it's fairly easy to stow players for later. Granted I'm in last but that has nothing to do with stashing Beltran and everything to do with the cadre of underachievers I managed to let Yahoo autodraft for me. Yes, I'm talking to you ARod. I guess the answer is that it depends on how deep your roster is and whether you can wait until (most likely) the all-star break. If I were beset with a rash of injuries, I'd drop him pretty quickly.
orejed
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stcardinal » Sun May 02, 2010 1:19 am

He was recently dropped by my league's most shewest GMs. The way I see it, even if he does come back, he isn't going to steal much so he'd just be another .290 hitting OFs with some pop maybe.
stcardinal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Train » Sun May 02, 2010 10:30 am

It's not a complex decision IMHO. By all accounts, the injury is a degenerative condition in a weight-bearing joint (knee). He shouldn't be on anyone's DL or bench spot. He's been fitted with a custom knee brace (hardly encouraging) and has not be cleared to begin a running program. Nor has further surgery been ruled out. There's even speculation that his career may be over.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ruby Tues. » Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks boys, I cut him yesterday. It's the same news all around.
Thanks for the feedback.
Ruby Tues.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SparhawkJC01 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:25 pm

I cut bait on him. Team was loaded at OF anyways with Lind, Heyward, Bruce, CarGo, Quentin, Austin Jackson, and Ellsbury so had no room even when/if he did return. OF is simply too deep to waste a Bench/DL spot on a player that won't return till the All-Star break and isn't even guaranteed to return to previous career production stats.
SparhawkJC01
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun May 02, 2010 5:18 pm

I sticking. Love me some Beltran. Post says he is close to running and could be a mid June return. Buy low while you can!
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Shiti Field » Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 am

Stash him on the DL. He's too talented to ignore. Unless it comes out that he will not play at all this season, he is easily worth a stash. At worst, he will give you a boost come playoff time. At best, he comes back in June and gives you 4 months.
Shiti Field
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sixer03fan » Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 am

[quote="DaSh 1s"]I sticking. Love me some Beltran. Post says he is close to running and could be a mid June return. Buy low while you can![/quote]

x2

The guy actually went UNDRAFTED in my league, so I picked him up immediately and he's been stashed on the DL ever since. When he comes back, the potential is there for 3rd or 4th round production. For such a high potential reward for such a low risk, you have to keep him, ESPECIALLY if you've been holding onto him for this long already.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates