Need Advice on League Software! Yahoo and ESPN don't cut it! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need Advice on League Software! Yahoo and ESPN don't cut it!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Advice on League Software! Yahoo and ESPN don't cut it!

Postby UT Longhorn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm trying to find a website that allows a baseball league to have both an auction draft AND an in-season salary cap in which each player has an assigned salary based on how much he went for in the auction.

I know w/ Yahoo and ESPN, you can run an auction draft, but the bids/salaries do not carry over into the actual season. On these sites, you could grab Pujols with a winning bid of $35, but that salary would not stay attached to him that season or in future seasons if it's a keeper league.

Are there any websites that let you carry the salaries during the season and allow the league to play with a salary cap the entire year??

This is for a keeper league I hope to start next year w/ some of my buddies. Thanks for the advice!
UT Longhorn
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need Advice on League Software! Yahoo and ESPN don't cut it!

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:56 am

CBS Sportsline.

It's $$ but the last couple of years they've had referral codes so at least your first year should be pretty cheap.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:54 am

UT Longhorn wrote:I'm trying to find a website that allows a baseball league to have both an auction draft AND an in-season salary cap in which each player has an assigned salary based on how much he went for in the auction.

I know w/ Yahoo and ESPN, you can run an auction draft, but the bids/salaries do not carry over into the actual season. On these sites, you could grab Pujols with a winning bid of $35, but that salary would not stay attached to him that season or in future seasons if it's a keeper league.

Are there any websites that let you carry the salaries during the season and allow the league to play with a salary cap the entire year??

This is for a keeper league I hope to start next year w/ some of my buddies. Thanks for the advice!

Hmm. So this should have worked on our site (Yahoo!) this year, but now that you mention it, it doesn't look like it does. It looks like the idea of a cost got tied to keeper players closer than it should have. If your league has keepers, then there is now an option to set their cost equal to their auction value. But for non-keeper players, yeah, that seems to have fallen through the cracks. Sorry for the oversight - I'll file a bug to see what we can do going forward.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby bigmck » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 pm

UT Longhorn wrote:I'm trying to find a website that allows a baseball league to have both an auction draft AND an in-season salary cap in which each player has an assigned salary based on how much he went for in the auction.

Don't go for some free or cheap league. You get what you pay for. CBS is by far the best. The first year they give you a discount and the years after that are $150 for the league (early bird discount). $150 might sound like alot, but divide that by the owners in your league and it is $15 or less each. That is cheap for a year of fun. You can do everything. Auction or Draft, Waivers or FAAB. Keep the salaries and contract years tied to each player and set an in season salary cap. Can't beat it.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby mkultra » Wed May 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Keeper salaries do carry over in ESPN leagues. There is no in-season salary cap, though, but I'm not sure if I'm really fond of that idea. It may make your league more "realistic", but it makes underperforming studs essentially untradable because of their salary albatross.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby bigmck » Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 pm

mkultra wrote:Keeper salaries do carry over in ESPN leagues. There is no in-season salary cap, though, but I'm not sure if I'm really fond of that idea. It may make your league more "realistic", but it makes underperforming studs essentially untradable because of their salary albatross.

I am in a Keeper League on ESPN. I don't see anyway the salaries that were bid on the player this year will carry on to next year. The salaries are not anywhere on the site at this time. When we had our auction we filled our team by bidding but those are gone forever. My guess is next spring when a player is kept, he will get the salary that ESPN assigns to him.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Fri May 07, 2010 2:17 pm

bigmck wrote:I am in a Keeper League on ESPN. I don't see anyway the salaries that were bid on the player this year will carry on to next year. The salaries are not anywhere on the site at this time. When we had our auction we filled our team by bidding but those are gone forever. My guess is next spring when a player is kept, he will get the salary that ESPN assigns to him.

You can see salaries in the draft recap: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/tools/draftrecap?leagueId=[YOUR_TEAM_ID]

When you select keepers for next year, that screen shows how much of your budget is taken up. I remember it being not the greatest (I think you didn't see the salaries until you selected, though you can always change it or look it up elsewhere), but it did the trick just fine.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby bigmck » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 pm

mkultra wrote:
bigmck wrote:I am in a Keeper League on ESPN. I don't see anyway the salaries that were bid on the player this year will carry on to next year. The salaries are not anywhere on the site at this time. When we had our auction we filled our team by bidding but those are gone forever. My guess is next spring when a player is kept, he will get the salary that ESPN assigns to him.

You can see salaries in the draft recap: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/tools/draftrecap?leagueId=[YOUR_TEAM_ID]

When you select keepers for next year, that screen shows how much of your budget is taken up. I remember it being not the greatest (I think you didn't see the salaries until you selected, though you can always change it or look it up elsewhere), but it did the trick just fine.

What happens to the players won in the FAAB? Can they be kept? Their salaries are not in the Draft Recap. This is my first year using ESPN, but I was under the impression that this was the first year that an Auction was available.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner