Brett Gardner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Gardner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby berdugoba » Sun May 09, 2010 12:05 pm

helooks solid
berdugoba
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 281
Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed May 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Brett is currently sporting a delicious .833 ops :-L

I am sure he can't keep this up.. but is there anyone that knows some more about this and his previous track record.. (minors and such) that can shed some light on where this might be going??

any chance that we are looking at an Ellsbury-type player here.. .770 ops, 60+ steals, 95+ runs??
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3868
(Past Year: 182)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 12, 2010 8:14 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Brett is currently sporting a delicious .833 ops :-L

I am sure he can't keep this up.. but is there anyone that knows some more about this and his previous track record.. (minors and such) that can shed some light on where this might be going??

any chance that we are looking at an Ellsbury-type player here.. .770 ops, 60+ steals, 95+ runs??

He posted an 800+ OPS at his final stops in each of A+, AA, and AAA, so he may very well be able to keep it up there. His .373 BABIP won't keep up, but I could imagine him settling into a .340 or so. Couple that with his improved K Rate and BB Rate, and if you can somehow get him to stay in the 2-hole instead of Swisher/Johnson/whomever, and you've got an elite source of Steals (maybe the premier base stealer in the league), and a very good source of AVG and Runs.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24802
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby West » Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Brett is currently sporting a delicious .833 ops :-L

I am sure he can't keep this up.. but is there anyone that knows some more about this and his previous track record.. (minors and such) that can shed some light on where this might be going??

any chance that we are looking at an Ellsbury-type player here.. .770 ops, 60+ steals, 95+ runs??

He posted an 800+ OPS at his final stops in each of A+, AA, and AAA, so he may very well be able to keep it up there. His .373 BABIP won't keep up, but I could imagine him settling into a .340 or so. Couple that with his improved K Rate and BB Rate, and if you can somehow get him to stay in the 2-hole instead of Swisher/Johnson/whomever, and you've got an elite source of Steals (maybe the premier base stealer in the league), and a very good source of AVG and Runs.


I completely agree with this assessment. This current stretch of luck will certainly not last the entire season but I could definitely see his BABIP staying in the .340-350 range given his propensity for slapping infield singles to the left side of the diamond. It seems lately he's been hitting 2nd vs. righties and 8th vs. lefties which looks like a great strategy for the Yanks. Hope it lasts all year. I'm currently starting him every time he gets a righty matchup. How can you not? He's been in the 20-30 range on the player rater for a good two weeks now.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
(Past Year: 99)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby coma » Wed May 12, 2010 10:56 pm

He makes me want to sell Ellsbury.
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1340
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WSU

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby coma » Fri May 28, 2010 2:39 am

And now he hasn't had a SB in 10 games :(.
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1340
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WSU

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby West » Fri May 28, 2010 7:05 am

coma wrote:And now he hasn't had a SB in 10 games :(.


It's hard to steal 'em when you aren't getting on very much. I think pitchers are starting to figure him out and he's striking out more. He'll adjust and come back around, as long as he keeps putting the bat on the ball the hits will come, and then of course the SB's.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
(Past Year: 99)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby mrmarley » Fri May 28, 2010 9:05 am

K's are up and BABIP coming back down as expected...and I've had him in the entire time, doh :-/ Torres getting subbed for now, The Jett is going back to the hangar for a few days of routine maintenance...expect him to soon come back as good as new.
Image
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 717
Joined: 24 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Brett Gardner

Postby TBuck4401 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:33 pm

I actually think he's better off at the bottom of the order where he was stealing like crazy earlier. He and Jeter just aren't running at the top this year with the big boys coming up. I think they let him run more at the bottom of the lineup, where he's sort of a 2nd leadoff hitter. He'll still score a lot if he's in scoring position for guys like Jeter and possibly Granderson, although he'll obviously lose an at bat every few games by hitting at the bottom.
TBuck4401
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 35
Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Boston at Toronto
(12:37 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact