Mike Stanton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Stanton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Stanton

Postby hett2333 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 am

Mike Stanton already has 9 homeruns in only 65 AB in double-A. Being ranked in the top 3 or 4 prospects in baseball, what is the cafe's thoughts on him being called up this year? Also, would you be willing to use a roster spot on him now...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Stanton

Postby Bwanna » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:27 am

[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 am

Bwanna wrote:http://bit.ly/dlkX6Y

I'm guessing this is where his original info came from. Not really a coincidence. :-b
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby TheNatinals » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am

I've owned Stanton for a year and a half in a dynasty league and have followed him very closely. It looks like he's the real deal. He's more raw than Heyward and will always K more, but also projects as a possible 40+ HR hitter with good defenense and a little speed. Plus, I've never heard anything but positive reviews about Stanton's work ethic and desire to be the best player he can.

That said, I'm not sure how much fantasy value he'd have if called up this year. I could easily see him hitting 10-15HRs in the second half, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious average drag as he adjusts to major league pitching.
TheNatinals
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 pm

TheNatinals wrote:I've owned Stanton for a year and a half in a dynasty league and have followed him very closely. It looks like he's the real deal. He's more raw than Heyward and will always K more, but also projects as a possible 40+ HR hitter with good defenense and a little speed. Plus, I've never heard anything but positive reviews about Stanton's work ethic and desire to be the best player he can.

That said, I'm not sure how much fantasy value he'd have if called up this year. I could easily see him hitting 10-15HRs in the second half, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious average drag as he adjusts to major league pitching.

this would be my assumption. he's averaging ~150k/550ab over the last two seasons. though this is also because he was playing in AA as a teenager, so i'd give him a pass on his enormous pile of strikeouts. that being said, the power is absolutely no illusion and i can think of much, much worse prospects to take a flier on for this year.

edit: also because this is the marlins we are talking about, don't expect to see him before late may/early june.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:51 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
TheNatinals wrote:That said, I'm not sure how much fantasy value he'd have if called up this year. I could easily see him hitting 10-15HRs in the second half, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious average drag as he adjusts to major league pitching.

this would be my assumption. he's averaging ~150k/550ab over the last two seasons. though this is also because he was playing in AA as a teenager, so i'd give him a pass on his enormous pile of strikeouts. that being said, the power is absolutely no illusion and i can think of much, much worse prospects to take a flier on for this year.

I guess he's not generational. Pity.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:57 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
fbc_fan wrote:
TheNatinals wrote:That said, I'm not sure how much fantasy value he'd have if called up this year. I could easily see him hitting 10-15HRs in the second half, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious average drag as he adjusts to major league pitching.

I guess he's not generational. Pity.

nice :-D
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:38 pm

TheNatinals wrote:I've owned Stanton for a year and a half in a dynasty league and have followed him very closely. It looks like he's the real deal. He's more raw than Heyward and will always K more, but also projects as a possible 40+ HR hitter with good defenense and a little speed. Plus, I've never heard anything but positive reviews about Stanton's work ethic and desire to be the best player he can.

Same here. He's been on my minor league roster for a few years. His HRs came in only 2 games I believe. He will get called up at some point and he will be a great keeper and can even help some this year as a late year addition. The only trouble is that Chris Coghlan is playing terrible and I hope that this doesn't rush Stanton up too soon, he needs most of the year in double A.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby hett2333 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Hit is 10th tonight!
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bosy Billups » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:08 pm

So if Stanton doesn't get his minimum ABs this year...are we looking at the consensues #1 prospect next year?
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers