MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby kab21 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:34 am

dmattingly23 wrote:I've been following Arrieta lately. And even though he looks really good, I can't see him being anything more than 3-4 starter long term.

And shouldn't have any kink of impact this year.

Arrieta's upside isn't that high but the O's rotation is a mess and he's probably next in line to be called up. And being in the majors for a half a season is more of an impact than most of those guys on the list. the question is whether or not he'll pitch well enough for you to want him on your team. It's likely that he's a low to mid 4's ERA guy this year with the typical rookie downside of awful. The problem is that there aren't many guys below him that I think will pitch enough to make an impact either.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 521)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Tue May 25, 2010 10:35 am

Tavish wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Not for this season. By the looks of things he's barely ready for AA, let alone the majors. It's not like there's a real blockage in the rotation preventing him from being called up, but even if he was, I don't think I'd want him on my fantasy team.

He shouldn't have much value for redraft this season, but barely ready for AA? 22 innings in and he is sporting a 2.01 ERA and 1.12 WHIP and a K rate around 8 per 9. There is an outside chance he gets a late callup this season, but more likely he gets the late call next season and is in full time in 2012.

Yeah he's doing OK in AA, but even if he had those numbers in AAA we wouldn't be talking about a call-up any time soon. A K rate of 7.7 in AA isn't all that impressive, especially when accompanied by a 3.6 BB rate.

As for Bumgarner, it's good that his velocity is up, but he still has to show that he can keep up this level for more than three games. At this point in time I'd prefer the guys who are proving themselves in AAA as opposed to the more speculative plays. We're talking about MLB success in 2010 here. In his last game, against Nashville, he faced 32 hitters and managed only 4 Ks. He's not missing enough bats. I can't actually watch him play all of these games, so for all I know he could be ready and just had an unlucky day. But if I'm betting on success, I'll bet on those that are already having success in addition to the expectations. Which brings me to...

Daniel Hudson. Destroyed AA as a 22 year old. Was pretty good when promoted to AAA as well with a K per inning and K/BB of about 2.67. Wasn't so hot in his september call-up, but he's clearly improved his game since then. This season in AAA he's progressed even more with a K/BB of 4.21 while striking out 11 per 9. I don't know how well that will translate to the majors, but I like him for this season more than anybody other than Strasburg and Hellickson.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 am

Good chance Tillman gets a start against Toronto this coming Saturday.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dmattingly23 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 am

kab21 wrote:
dmattingly23 wrote:I've been following Arrieta lately. And even though he looks really good, I can't see him being anything more than 3-4 starter long term.

And shouldn't have any kink of impact this year.

Arrieta's upside isn't that high but the O's rotation is a mess and he's probably next in line to be called up. And being in the majors for a half a season is more of an impact than most of those guys on the list. the question is whether or not he'll pitch well enough for you to want him on your team. It's likely that he's a low to mid 4's ERA guy this year with the typical rookie downside of awful. The problem is that there aren't many guys below him that I think will pitch enough to make an impact either.

Yeah, maybe in another division I would give him a shot at running a few quality starts together.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Good chance Tillman gets a start against Toronto this coming Saturday.

Tillman has 3.12 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 7.3 k/9. He had one bad start in his last 6 games.
The way Matusz, Bergesen and Hernandez struggling he should be called up.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby VikingGuy84 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:23 pm

EL BURRO wrote:** JUNE UPDATE **

Let me know your thoughts or if you think there are some other names to add into the mix.

Thx,
EL BURRO

Very nice list. What about Kyle Gibson, the Twins prospect currently at AA New Britain. Barring a long-term injury or a couple of injuries, I'm pretty confident he won't make the big leagues this season, but he looks legit even if he is only 19. In Single-A, he had a 1.36 ERA and a 25/7 K/BB ratio in 33 innings. What do you think of him? I think he's got a good shot at making the team next season...
VikingGuy84
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:26 pm

so I know Porcello was a highly touted prospect, but his low k/9 and high whip are meh.. would it be stupid/far fetched to drop him for Tillman..Porcello is on a winning team and he still struggles..and i love DET
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dmattingly23 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:39 pm

CrashOverrid3 wrote:so I know Porcello was a highly touted prospect, but his low k/9 and high whip are meh.. would it be stupid/far fetched to drop him for Tillman..Porcello is on a winning team and he still struggles..and i love DET

Don't really like Porcello, but I really can't see Tillman making much of an impact either.

He's not really dominating AAA, how do you think he will fare against the yanks and sox. Maybe at best a matchup type guy.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 pm

yeah that seems to be what I make of it..anyway, great resource here
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby EL BURRO » Tue May 25, 2010 4:33 pm

DbacksRback wrote:Any love for Michael Montgomery ?

As you'll see I called out Mike Montgomery specifically in the foreword, I love his upside but its not 2010 upside; I dont see the Royals rushing him in a lost year already. Just my opinion, but I think hes a 2011 candidate.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers