MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby mac-unit » Mon May 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Kyle Gibson - Min A+
2-1, 1.76 ERA, .95 WHIP, 28k, 7bb in 30.2 ip. And a 5.10 GO/AO.

Wouldn't normally post someone so low in the levels in a topic like this but I think he could see AAA by the end of this season maybe even a start with the Twins depending how they are doing in september.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby the ROC » Mon May 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Well, Aroldis looked good through 3, then kind of melted down in the 4th. Definitely did not look like he had much poise. He hit Fernando Martinez, then let up a couple seeing-eye-singles, including one that deflected off of the first basemen after the runner blocked his view. Then he had the great Corky Miller let up a passed ball on a third strike which allowed a run to come in, then had Corky miss a pop-foul on a shattered bat that would have ended the inning. He then let up three straight weak dribblers up the middle that scored a few more runs before striking out Fernando. He didn't look too happy, and even kind of shrugged off the 3B who came over to try to settle him down a couple times.

He was very good at the dish, going 2-2 with a single, RBI double, and a walk after the count was 1-2. He even managed to get halfway to third base before the 3rd baseman was waiting for him with the ball after he tried to go first-third on a single.

His velocity was pretty consistent, 98-100 in the first, 97-99 in the second, 97-100 in the third, 95-98 in the fourth, 96-99 in the fifth. His control was actually pretty good, with 8 K's vs. 1 BB, and 65/99 pitches for strikes. He was really done in by poor fielding and unlucky singles. He only had maybe 2-3 hard hit balls. He definitely is still learning how to pitch. The hitters were cheating so much on the fastball that they started being early on it in the 4th, but he just tried to throw it harder, rather than throw the changeup often.

Final Line: 5 IP, 6 ER, 8 K, 1 BB, 9 H
4th Inning: 5 ER, 6 H, 3 K
Rest of the game: 4 IP, 1 ER (an error allowed the guy to score), 3 H, 1 BB, 5 K

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby EL BURRO » Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm

@ the Roc -- great post, thanks for the insight. Sounds like the stuff is real and provided he gets the control "under control", he's gonna be a real solid NL arm for 2010. Based on what Ive read, Im guessing a June / July call-up. Let me know your thoughts. - bc
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:26 pm

This is a guy who I've been keeping tabs on, and has looked pretty good so far. This guy has a shot this year, but may be more of a next year for a more quality look, but with the way the Pirate's SP staff has been and with the injuries who knows he may get a decent shot this year.

Rudy Owens-AA, Parent Club: Pirates
2010: 5GS 3-0, 28.2IP, 28Ks, 3BB. Has given up 22H and only 9ER for a 2.83ERA. His last start surely opened eyes a bit, going 6IP, 0H, 0ER, 1BB, 11Ks.

2009 Single-A: 19GS, 10-1, 100.2IP, 91K, 15BB. Gave up only 71H and 19ER for a 1.70ERA. Was named Class-A starting pitcher of the year in 2009 also.

Jordan Lyles-AA, Parent Club: Astros.
2010: 5GS 2-2, 29IP, 29Ks, 5BB. Has given up 24H and only 8ER for a 2.48ERA.

2009 Single-A: 26GS 7-11(I know but check the actual stats), 144.2IP, 167Ks, only 38BB (thats a 10.4 K/9). 134H and 52ER for a 3.24ERA. I know this was only Single-A, but he was only 18 and K'ed 167 in only 144.2, he was only pace to strikeout 232 batters in 200IP.

Like I say these 2 may be a bit of a stretch for this year, I would say post ASB work at best, but come next year these 2 names may slide closer and closer to that magical top 15.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm

EL BURRO wrote:Danny Hudson - Chicago White Sox chucked a gem this weekend for AAA Charlotte. Threw 7 scoreless and struck out 10. Still, his ERA is dismal in the early going - it now sits at 6.55; but hes likely the first White Sox arm called up when needed.

Anyone else see any SP prospect arms to add to the list? Yes, Tillman is on the Top 15 list that will come out in a few weeks. Id like to try and post this thread every 4 weeks.

Thx

Reckon he'll take over Freddy Garcia's spot soon? Or possibly when Peavy goes down with an injury?
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby HighHeater » Wed May 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I didn't see Derek Hollands name in the hat but since he's arguably been the best SP in AAA imo i want to toss out his numbers for other readers to see in case they forgot how dominate he can be:

4-1 0.93ERA 38.2IP 32H 4ER 7BB 37K 1.20GO/AO .224AVG
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:18 pm

HighHeater wrote:I didn't see Derek Hollands name in the hat but since he's arguably been the best SP in AAA imo i want to toss out his numbers for other readers to see in case they forgot how dominate he can be:

Just for the record, he was only the original list posted by the guy who started the thread, and talked about a bit on pages 3-4. But its all good, haven't had his numbers updated yet, so nice to someone put his up-to-date stats up.

I really have to think that its time to do something with Harden, I mean my god his walks are horrid. Not to mention I don't its going to be long before he REALLY blows up: his strand rate (or LOB%) is at a stagering 81.5%, thats a full 6-7% higher then his norm, not to mention his BABIP is also 30 points lower then his career average, gell all of that together with high BB/9 rate and HR/9 compared to career averages and your looking for a big spike in ERA and Losses. I mean he had an ERA on the north side of 4 pitching for the Cubs last year in the NL, I can only imagine what the much stronger AL will do to him after one time through.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby EL BURRO » Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 pm

HighHeater wrote:I didn't see Derek Hollands name in the hat but since he's arguably been the best SP in AAA imo i want to toss out his numbers for other readers to see in case they forgot how dominate he can be:

I actually have Holland at #4 overall. His stuff is electric and hes dominating AAA. Hes the next arm up for sure when Texas calls...
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

Postby j24jags » Thu May 06, 2010 11:57 am

EL BURRO wrote:

I actually have Holland at #4 overall. His stuff is electric and hes dominating AAA. Hes the next arm up for sure when Texas calls...

What kind of ratios are people expecting from Holland?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dmattingly23 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 pm

j24jags wrote:
EL BURRO wrote:

What kind of ratios are people expecting from Holland?

High 3's era low 1.3's whip. If he didn't play in Texas would be alot better. Still should get alot of k's and w's.

I really like him. I guess you have to say Strasburg will be a little better this year, but not by much. And I don't think any other minor league pitcher even comes close.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers