MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby EL BURRO » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 am

dmattingly23 wrote:Friedrich was put on 7 day dl.

The only problem with Holland is how is he going to get called up.

Even if Harden goes down, I would think Hunter is above him.


Read that about FRIEDRICH, what mod edit: bad timing for him.

Tommy HUnter was activated today as well, so I think you may be right - but Holland is way more intriguing from a fantasy stand-point. I have to think the Rangers make the move if someone gets injured or falters soon.
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 289
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Just throwing another name out there, not exactly the sexy sub-2ERA, but has a very legit shot at seeing some time very soon.

Hisanori Takahashi-Mets. This was the big over seas add, again hes carrying an average to below average ERA of 3.77, but has also Ked 21 thus far in 14.1IP. His whole stat line looks something like:

2-1, 3.77ERA, 1.45WHIP, 10BB(3 of which are intentional), 21K and only 10H in 14.1IP. Now this is not a guy you would stash for the 'future' meaning at age 35 hes not someone you save for 2011 and beyond, but he could be a nice add in deeper leagues where you are looking to steal a nice SP that also has RP eligibility. Also with Oliver Perez struggling with his control, Hisanori could be a sooner rather then later addition.

Again don't stone me for this pick, but he could be something worth looking at in deeper leagues where most everyone is looking for the slightest edge in SP.

One more name that is lost in the junk because of Strasburg's name is a guy by the name of Luis Atilano. He has had 2 strong starts in his first 2 Major League appearences against the Dodgers and the Cubs, both Ws, both allowing 2ER or less. He has pretty much been a career minor leaguer up until this point, but has flashed some signs that he could be a decent middle of the pack SP.

Over his whole MiLB career (RK league on through AAA) he has sported a sub 3.9ERA and 1.3WHIP in 118 Appearences, but the numbers that I like the best are the 1.9BB/9 and 4.8 K/9. He started off with Atlanta and has since moved to Washington, and with Washington being a bit of a surprise (actually winning a couple games) to start the season, that 2-0 that hes sporting could mold into something more.

Again, these 2 guys are going to be more of deeper league picks, if your looking for some SP help at some point and the WW is BARE (i.e. I'm thinking about adding these guys in my 18-teamer and 28-man rostered 16-teamer) but they could also turn out to be some nice picks if you keep an eye on them in more shallow leagues.
Image

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2693
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby EL BURRO » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:10 pm

nice comments and additions - appreciate that. Completely the intent of the post... ive been "watching" your 35 year old japanese friend on LOS METS this week; so, I like that someone else is on to him as well. thx
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 289
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 pm

How has tillman looked recently?

Yes I am a smartass but that's why you don't take 4 game sample sizes and draw any conclusions. Especially when the K's are there and the BB's aren't. the only thing that I don't like about him is that he likes to work up in the zone and because of that he gives up a lot of fly balls. But the rest is very nice.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 171)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby EL BURRO » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:17 pm

kab21 wrote:How has tillman looked recently?

Yes I am a smartass but that's why you don't take 4 game sample sizes and draw any conclusions. Especially when the K's are there and the BB's aren't. the only thing that I don't like about him is that he likes to work up in the zone and because of that he gives up a lot of fly balls. But the rest is very nice.


Not sure I was arguing your Tillman post. In fact, I said he was someone on my Top 10 radar. That being said, he threw a gem last night and deserves to be taken seriously. I concur that 4 games is too small of a sample size, so I encourage more people to post their SP to watch so we can keep the list growing and be able to help our respective fantasy squads continue to dominate.


;-D
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 289
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:58 pm

EL BURRO wrote:
kab21 wrote:How has tillman looked recently?

Yes I am a smartass but that's why you don't take 4 game sample sizes and draw any conclusions. Especially when the K's are there and the BB's aren't. the only thing that I don't like about him is that he likes to work up in the zone and because of that he gives up a lot of fly balls. But the rest is very nice.


Not sure I was arguing your Tillman post. In fact, I said he was someone on my Top 10 radar. That being said, he threw a gem last night and deserves to be taken seriously. I concur that 4 games is too small of a sample size, so I encourage more people to post their SP to watch so we can keep the list growing and be able to help our respective fantasy squads continue to dominate.


;-D


These are your words which specifically say he hasn't looked good. And that you moved him down because of his start to the season. His is and should have been easily in the top 10 before the season, before his no-hitter and after his no-hitter,

@ kab21 - tillman was in the top 10 of this list at start of the season, but he has not looked right at all. hes been wild in the first couple starts and is currently sporting a 1-3, 6.11 ERA in 4 starts to go with 15 Ks, not exactly top line stuff. I think Arrieta gets the call before he does based on what hes done to date.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 171)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby dmattingly23 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 pm

EL BURRO wrote:
kab21 wrote:How has tillman looked recently?

Yes I am a smartass but that's why you don't take 4 game sample sizes and draw any conclusions. Especially when the K's are there and the BB's aren't. the only thing that I don't like about him is that he likes to work up in the zone and because of that he gives up a lot of fly balls. But the rest is very nice.


Not sure I was arguing your Tillman post. In fact, I said he was someone on my Top 10 radar. That being said, he threw a gem last night and deserves to be taken seriously. I concur that 4 games is too small of a sample size, so I encourage more people to post their SP to watch so we can keep the list growing and be able to help our respective fantasy squads continue to dominate.


;-D


Don't worry I think everyone got your point.


Nice thread by the way.

And Tillman's been a mess before his last 2 starts so I get what you're saying.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 318
Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby the ROC » Mon May 03, 2010 4:13 pm

I saw Hellickson pitch last week vs Buffalo. What's the scouting report on him? He wasn't throwing anything over 91. He looked pretty good tho, except for one bad inning if I remember correctly.

Seeing Chapman today in Buffalo. I'll let you know how he looks.
Image

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 926
Joined: 8 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 pm

I was reading the other day that they Tillman was struggling because he was trying to work on a new cutter.

If that's true he should slide up to about 3-5 on your list.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 318
Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MINOR PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby EL BURRO » Mon May 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Danny Hudson - Chicago White Sox chucked a gem this weekend for AAA Charlotte. Threw 7 scoreless and struck out 10. Still, his ERA is dismal in the early going - it now sits at 6.55; but hes likely the first White Sox arm called up when needed.

Anyone else see any SP prospect arms to add to the list? Yes, Tillman is on the Top 15 list that will come out in a few weeks. Id like to try and post this thread every 4 weeks.

Thx
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 289
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)

Sunday, Aug. 31

Cleveland at Cody
(8:07 pm)
indoors

Monday, Sep. 22

Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact