MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MINOR LEAGUE PROSPECTING - 15 SP to watch for mixed leagues

Postby kab21 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:03 am

mac-unit wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
EL BURRO wrote:#13. Martin Perez - Texas Rangers, AA (May Rank: 10)
2-2 (8 starts), 4.91 ERA, 1.69 WHIP, 37 Ks thru 33 innings pitched.

You've really got the wrong Ranger up here. Tanner Scheppers has a very good chance on making the club at some point this year to help out in the bullpen. He's been absolutely lights out in the minors so far: 24 IP, 41 K's, 11 hits, 7 BB's, 1.13 ERA. :-L

He just had his first outting with 3 innings after 5 with 2 innings. I don't think they will put him in the pen unless desperate.

In August as the MiLB season is winding down and Texas is battling for a playoff spot there isn't a reason not to bring him up. but even then his impact would be minimal since he would be a middle reliever (likely).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri May 28, 2010 10:10 am

mac-unit wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
EL BURRO wrote:#13. Martin Perez - Texas Rangers, AA (May Rank: 10)
2-2 (8 starts), 4.91 ERA, 1.69 WHIP, 37 Ks thru 33 innings pitched.

You've really got the wrong Ranger up here. Tanner Scheppers has a very good chance on making the club at some point this year to help out in the bullpen. He's been absolutely lights out in the minors so far: 24 IP, 41 K's, 11 hits, 7 BB's, 1.13 ERA. :-L

He just had his first outting with 3 innings after 5 with 2 innings. I don't think they will put him in the pen unless desperate.

Since I'm in a huge dynasty league, I've kept tabs on him since the start of spring training and remember coming across this:

The Rangers will prepare Scheppers as a starting pitcher this year, but because he's had very little pitching background, the club will closely monitor his innings. Scheppers was primarily a shortstop until his sophomore year at Fresno State, then suffered an injury as a junior and pitched only 70 innings. Last year, he pitched just four games (19 innings) in independent ball.

The Rangers want to keep him to about 100 innings, which has been consistent with how they've treated other first-year pitchers. But, they also want to leave open the possibility he could pitch in the majors before the end of the season. The tentative plan is likely for him to work on a starter's schedule - once every five days - and pitch about two innings each time out. If he makes 20-25 starts by the end of July, he'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-60 innings. It should leave him the ability to pitch 20-30 innings in relief in the majors. The Rangers used Neftali Feliz 20 times for a total of 30 innings after calling him up last August.

The Dallas Morning News
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby HighHeater » Sat May 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Scheppers has elite elite type stuff. were talking close to Strasburgh here. The only thing that will limit him is health. If's he's over the shoulder scare that made him slide to the second round there's not another pitcher i wouldn't take over him aside of Strasburgh and maybe Holland(there about equal in my mind but Holland has more track record)

he has serious potential
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15 pm

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette is reporting the Brad Lincoln is a candidate to start on Wednesday.

..the GM said, "At this time of the season, an extra day's rest is a good thing. We feel Brad needs continued development but that competing at the major-league level is an important next step in his progress. That next step could come as soon as Wednesday."
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby EL BURRO » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:13 am

footballisbetter.com wrote:The Pittsburgh Post Gazette is reporting the Brad Lincoln is a candidate to start on Wednesday.

..the GM said, "At this time of the season, an extra day's rest is a good thing. We feel Brad needs continued development but that competing at the major-league level is an important next step in his progress. That next step could come as soon as Wednesday."

nice update..... thanks
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

Postby cwrtlm » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 pm

How good will Lincoln be? Worth owning in an NL only keeper? I read he already had Tommy John surgery.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby k.k. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 pm

I have a roster spot in flux and am going to start Lincoln on Wed vs. Washington. Assuming of course he does indeed get the call. Sounds like it though.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm

cwrtlm wrote:How good will Lincoln be? Worth owning in an NL only keeper? I read he already had Tommy John surgery.

See I've never understood this, to me TJ could be a real good thing for any pitcher. Yes surgery is never a good thing, but before surgery that ligament is NEVER as strong as it is after surgery. There are 2 sides to every coin, yes TJ has been bad for some pitchers, but in other pitchers it has totally turned their careers around. Look at Liriano, after his brilliance a couple years back he fell flat on his face, now this year, after TJ, he is back making hitters look silly.

Another quick stat about Tommy John surgery, especially in youngsters (heard sooooo many people shying away from young arms, in highschool or even college, because of TJ surgery), a study just came out about highschool pitchers needing TJ. 20 kids were apart of the study and of the 20, 19 said they were satisfied with their surgeries. 18 of those 19 returned to competitive baseball. Read more here... http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 115332.htm

All I'm saying is with Lincoln, and all other young arms requiring TJ, give them a chance before writing anyone off. Not saying you are, but your post indicates that you are shying away because of the surgery.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:25 pm

My take on TJ surgery is that I'll take a flier on guys who've had the surgery if they're reasonably young and have strong fastballs already. Josh Johnson and Matt Morris are the two who always come to mind when I think of successful TJ surgery recipients, and I think their prototype is prone to recover from this surgery successfully.

the above is based entirely on speculation, observation, and opinion. please do not listen to it
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby EL BURRO » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:27 pm

JAKE ARRIETA getting called up on Thursday, 6/10 to face the Yankees in the series finale according to AOL Fanhouse.

Hate the match-up, but Im assuming he sticks. Orioles have nothing to play for and might as well start grooming the young trip of Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta for 2011.

Im considering plunging in my 14 Team Mixed League just based on what hes done Year To Date in AAA:

6-2 (12 games), 1.85 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 64ks in 73 innings pitched
- EL BURRO...
EL BURRO
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 110)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers