Collection methods - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Collection methods

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Collection methods

Postby Snax » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:39 am

Hoping for some helpful advice, but mostly venting...

Back in 2005 I joined a league that I found via this very message board. Paid my $100 buy-in the first three years promptly, without winning anything (only the top four teams get anything, with half the money going to the winning team). In 2007, I won the league, and the commissioner deducted my 2008 fees from my winnings and sent me a check for the rest. Through great good fortune and obsessive dealmaking, I won the next two years as well,but...

The league has now folded because the now Ex-Commissioner basically let it die. He was the one who handled all the finances for the league, along with running other leagues for football and basketball that a few other owners played in with him (but I had nothing to do with).

Long story short, I never got my money for winning either of the last two years. The Ex-Com claims that he never collected any fees for 2009 from anyone, so there will be no money paid out for last year. I wrote the other owners, and only one knew for sure that he paid any money for 2009, and another owner said that he "paid" his fees out of winnings from those other leagues (something the Ex-Com had insisted he didn't allow...HA!)

The Ex-Com does readily admit that he still owes me my winnings for 2008 (about $500), but states that he doesn't have that year's money anymore because it covered fees some owners no longer in the league who didn't pay some time back in 2004, before I ever heard of the league, let alone paid to play in it. Regardless, he says he cannot afford to pay me. He insists that when he has the money he will pay up, but refuses to commit to a timetable when that might be possible.

We live in different cities (Chicago and Cleveland), and I've never met the guy in person. It's not like I am actually out any money that I paid him, but the principle of the matter really, really bothers me, and the fact remains that he did in fact collect fees for the year from other owners, and has not paid out any winnings. Do I have any other tactics to employ other than continuing to harass him by phone and email, and laying on the guilt? Am I permitted to name this person here, as a warning to others not to trust him?
We crack us up.
Snax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Collection methods

Postby Pochucker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm

I feel for you , can't imagine ever joining private money league online to many horror stories. Here is the right way to run a league --our league has $150 entry fee plus Fees for every add/drop or trades.

We have commish + treasurer who also has commissioner access. Treasurer opens account in league name.

Rule #1 --no one drafts without paying entry fee and recieving receipt.
Rule #2 -- no one participates in playoffs if their accumulated fees for year are not paid up by start of playoffs.
No "take it out of my winnings crap " paid up or you dont participate in playoffs.
Rule #3 --accumulated fees not paid up by end of playoffs and your not in them --then your out of league.

We are in our 8th yr with waiting list to get in.

Had one problem several years ago which led to strict rules. During playoffs commish (no treasurer) was going around telling people he might have to pay winnings in installments. Claiming ex -wife had big medical bill and said he was liable and bank had froze his account.
Truth was I knew he had spent it on a girlfriend.
I sat him down told him he had 24hrs to show me statrement from bank or I was calling police and pressing charges.
Amazing enough he came in next day said he had money (found out later he sold his laptop). Still got rid of him as commish let him stay in league but instituted new rules to prevent any chance of reoccurence
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Your money is gone. That is the short story. Let that be a lesson to never join big money leagues with strangers. Find a league in your city and have an Inperson Draft where you know the guys. Naming him on here would not solve anything. Hope you have better luck next time.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Fantasy Judgment » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:57 pm

I am very sorry to hear your story. Unfortunately, I do not think you have any recourse here besides continuining to contact him and insist on payment. However, it is unlikely that he will ever pay up. I am assuming you do not have anything in writing codifying your agreement to participate in the league, or some form of receipt for your payment and continued use of winnings towards the following year's entry fee. If you had something in writing that illustrates these financial transactions or agreements, then perhaps you could bring a claim in small claims court.

This is also one of the primary reasons I created Fantasy Judgment - to maintain the integrity of fantasy sports leagues regardless of whether you are in a personal league with friends or an anonymous online league. The principles should remain the same, especially when it comes to finances. I agree with the rules proposed earlier in this thread regarding the handling of payments and payouts for online money leagues. There are also third-party websites out there that handle fantasy league entry fees and prize money.

Posting his name on in this forum or anywhere else is not the way to handle this. This person clearly has integrity issues, which will shine through no matter what he does or who he deals with. You don't want to start down this road, especially to avoid any sort of libel or defamation claims against you. How is that possible? Well there is no proof of your previous payments or arrangements for future payments. I would just take this as a life lesson and be more selective when deciding what types of leagues you join.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Fantasy Judgment
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby colby2152 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:58 pm

That is unfortunate to hear but one of many such tales out there. Trust is always the key... that and LeagueSafe.
ProFSL.com
colby2152
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomojo » Sun May 09, 2010 2:05 pm

bigmck wrote:Your money is gone. That is the short story. Let that be a lesson to never join big money leagues with strangers. Find a league in your city and have an Inperson Draft where you know the guys. Naming him on here would not solve anything. Hope you have better luck next time.

I love this story. It's hilarious.
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Commissioner's Corner