Arizona Passes Law to Req Enforcement of Another Law - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Arizona Passes Law to Req Enforcement of Another Law

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Arizona Passes Law to Req Enforcement of Another Law

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 pm

azcentral.com wrote:Arizona governor signs immigration law; foes promise fight

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer today signed into law an immigration bill that gives the state toughest law in the nation, making it a state crime to be in the country illegally and requiring local police to enforce federal immigration laws.
The new immigration law will require anyone whom police suspect of being in the country illegally to produce "an alien registration document," such as a green card, or other proof of citizenship such as a passport or Arizona driver's license.

It also makes it illegal to impede the flow of traffic by picking up day laborers for work. A day laborer who gets picked up for work, thus impeding traffic, would also be committing a criminal act.

The law goes into effect 90 days after the current legislative session ends, which is expected to be sometime in early May.

Brewer said the new state law mirrors federal law, and that she worked "for weeks' with legislators to strengthen the bill to its current form. She said it does not allow for racial profiling.

"I will not tolerate racial discrimination or racial profiling in Arizona," she said.

To assure that doesn't happen, Brewer also issued an executive order that the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board immediately develop a training program to teach law enforcement how to "appropriately implement Senate Bill 1070."
Bill opponent Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Phoenix, called this "one of the darkest days in Arizona."

"This violates the rights of all Arizonans," she said. "It will be litigated. We will seek an injunction from this law being implemented."

She said her legal concerns about the law are several, including the potential for racial profiling, whether the state has the right to even have such a law in the face of federal authority, and possible violations of due process.

Sinema said her message to the community now is to "stay calm."

"There is no need to flee,"
she said. "We will be litigating."
A handful of teenage girls was seen openly weeping after it was announced that Brewer had signed the bill.

After the chanting started, pro-bill forces began to sing "America the Beautiful."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Arizona Passes Law to Req Enforcement of Another Law

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 pm

(redacted)...don't want to start a problem. :-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't have a huge problem with this in principle, but this part concerns me a little bit, depending on how it's implemented:
StlSluggers wrote:The new immigration law will require anyone whom police suspect of being in the country illegally to produce "an alien registration document," such as a green card, or other proof of citizenship such as a passport or Arizona driver's license.

And it will be interesting to see how the 'due process' argument plays out.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't have a huge problem with this in principle, but this part concerns me a little bit, depending on how it's implemented:
StlSluggers wrote:The new immigration law will require anyone whom police suspect of being in the country illegally to produce "an alien registration document," such as a green card, or other proof of citizenship such as a passport or Arizona driver's license.

I agree that it will be interesting to see how enforcement of this law is executed, but I'd be interested to hear an argument against the law itself.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:36 pm

Trying to enforce it sounds like a lot of singling out any Mexican seen anywhere in public and forcing them to show identification.

Also, we need to hide BP before he gets taken away.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:50 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I don't have a huge problem with this in principle, but this part concerns me a little bit, depending on how it's implemented:

I agree that it will be interesting to see how enforcement of this law is executed, but I'd be interested to hear an argument against the law itself.

All I've read about it is what Sluggers posted, but I'd think it would be based on due process and the fact that you don't have to prove your innocence. Police in the United States can't just walk up to someone and say "show me your papers" (unless they are driving, trying to board an airplane, or a few other exceptions). It's the "suspected of being in the country illegally" that most of this seems to hinge on.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

All I've read about it is what Sluggers posted, but I'd think it would be based on due process and the fact that you don't have to prove your innocence. Police in the United States can't just walk up to someone and say "show me your papers" (unless they are driving, trying to board an airplane, or a few other exceptions). It's the "suspected of being in the country illegally" that most of this seems to hinge on.

I would read the whole article if you haven't. Let's just say he chose only certain portions. :-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:29 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I would read the whole article if you haven't. Let's just say he chose only certain portions. :-D

Since Sluggo is the primary source for all my news consumption, I will simply presume that the portions he chose to present were the only factually necessary portions I need to make an informed decision.

Sluggo - Not just Fair. Fair and Balanced. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Well you definitely want to check the time-stamp on anything JT posts, it could be from today or it could be from 5 years ago.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:13 am

knapplc wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:I would read the whole article if you haven't. Let's just say he chose only certain portions. :-D

Since Sluggo is the primary source for all my news consumption, I will simply presume that the portions he chose to present were the only factually necessary portions I need to make an informed decision.

Sluggo - Not just Fair. Fair and Balanced. ;-D

I believe I posted the parts that explained the law, presented each side's take on the law, and then I highlighted the two parts that struck me as simply preposterous overreactions. I did not check the date of the article.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to General Talk