Smoak Screen or Fantasy Asset? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoak Screen or Fantasy Asset?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Smoak Screen or Fantasy Asset?

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 am

Well Chris Davis did it to us once again, hes a bum and hes back in the minors. His #s alone were enough to warrant his demotion but Justin Smoak's emergence in AAA is a large reason why the Rangers pulled the trigger so early. Ive heard of Smoak's defense for a few years now but hes been tearing up the Minors with his bat as well and he has a tremendously high on-base percentage this year. Anytime a prospect gets called up in Texas' Stadium/lineup, its intriguing but especially when you consider that hes a 1st baseman (a position that generates serious power #s), its extremely interesting. The question that I pose to the Fantasy Cafe Universe is this... Is Justin Smoak the kind of prospect thatll contribute more to the real life game of baseball, than he will in Fantasy? Or... Can Smoak seize his opportunity in Texas' lineup and put up pretty decent rookie #s?
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Smoak Screen or Fantasy Asset?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 am

I don't know too much about him. But a patient switch hitter with plus defense and decent power playing in that stadium has my attention. He certainly has the tools to be successful. This is the kind of guy that you want to be too early on rather than too late for fantasy purposes.

I'd be inclined to give him a shot if you have some room.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby The Mighty Trow » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:35 am

He'll probably help Texas more than he will your team because of his defense. His ISO is last year was .153 in AA and .117 in AAA. Small sample size, sure, but the MLB average is around .150 IIRC. With only 200 or so Pro at bats, he'll have to adjust via trial by fire. He will get on base but i think his HR ceiling is in the 10-15 range.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Montana168 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 am

he is a must add in pretty much every league right now. he is an elite top 10 prospect that has outstanding plate discipline, which will lead to a high avg, and projects for big power, altho his power hasn't completely shown up yet. he is hitting in texas, so the lineup around him is going to protect him a lot and he should see good pitches. he is a more mature prospect than some of the other guys ranked in the top 10, so his game should translate to the bigs rather quickly. bottom line is, with this type of prospect, if you dont add him now, someone else will.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mblax10 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:19 am

Why are people focusing on his defense? When was the last time a guy became a top 10 prospect because of defense at 1B? Very few guys in the minors can touch his bat. He's a must add in every league unless you don't like 300/400/500 potential.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 am

I agree, he's a must add at this point. He dealt with a nagging quad injury last season that contributed to his lower offensive production in AA/AAA. His plate patience and willingness to take a walk will serve him well in the majors. Now that he has the full time job, I don't expect him to lose it.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 am

Snag him fast if you can, another owner beat me out last night! doh!
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Roger LaFrancois » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:21 am

I picked him up a week ago in my 20 team 30 player/team league and am happy I did so.

This morning I picked him up in my 12 team league. Am a little unhappy about having to drop Frank Francisco but I still consider it a good move.
Roger LaFrancois
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:21 am

He has pretty good upside. He might not hit at the major league level right away, but the upside is such that I would add him if you have the bench spot.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby j24jags » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 pm

He has great upside and definitely can be a difference maker this season. I drafted him on a couple of my teams and stashed him waiting for this day.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers