Re: Big Z to bullpen

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:32 pm

8-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby colt4523 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:33 pm

The cubs are a pathetic organization. What a stupid move. Big Z has actually been pitching decent lately, it is just their offense is so bad that he gets no run support. They should demote Aram too while they are at it.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Wow. I'm a bit surprised, but I guess its not inconceivable. His OBA is terrible, as usual, and the Cubs pen is a disaster. But damn... Opening day starter for a few years and all of a sudden...
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:46 pm

I guess Mets' stupidity is contagious.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:55 pm

He's been pretty good the past three starts. I don't think Silva will last too long, but ya never know. Gorzelanny I'm kinda hoping will stick around. Probably not a good idea to have three of your best arms (Zam, Marshall, Marmol) in the bullpen. I know Marmol belongs there, but the other two deserve the spot over Silva, for sure. Why give so many innings to a guy like him?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby thejusman1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

The most shocking part is that Big Z is making over 18 million dollars this year. He's still on that 5-year, 91.5 million dollar contract signed in 2007. If you couple this with the Cubs' longing to out-right release Alfonso Soriano... it might be another decade or two before the Cubs even sniff a pennant, let alone a WS.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby m16a » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:20 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
m16a wrote:So, is Silva worth a pickup for dropping Z?

I would rather have an empty roster spot on my fantasy team than start Carlos Silva.

Z was my #3 starter, so I need to replace him. He'd been solid cept for that first game. Pelfrey is on the WW, would he be a better pickup?
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Element » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:25 pm

A $17.85MM setup guy. Awesome! ;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:31 pm

colt4523 wrote:The cubs are a pathetic organization. What a stupid move. Big Z has actually been pitching decent lately, it is just their offense is so bad that he gets no run support.

Wouldn't go that far...

Although I also agree its crazy and it won't last too long, sooner rather then later Silva will come back to Earth and Z will be trust back into the starting rotation. I really don't believe this has anything remotely to do with his performance thus far, instead its the gaping void the Cubs call a bullpen and losing Guzman for the year was a big hit, and the millions Grabow is being paid is just going up in smoke. Outside of Marmol and Marshall that pen doesn't have a reliable arm to lean on right now with ERAs ranging from 5+ to 18+ and outside of those 2 the pen is 1-4 with 14BB and very nicely has teed up 5HR in 23.1 combined IP. The pen is just a mess right now and needs A. an arm that could potentially shut a team down from the starter to the closer and b. an arm with some experience.

Looking at that pen you have James Russell who has appeared in 6 career games, Jeff Gray in just 32 games, Justin Berg 16 games, Jeff Samardzija in 50 and then the vets of Grabow, Marshall and Marmol. But 1/2 of the bullpen is either in their first year or first fulltime spot on a major league squad. The pen is really in shambles right now and can use help from where ever they can get it. The pen is flat pathetic right now, and if Silva can hold the void until something snaps back with the pen then this could actually be a good move for them seens how even with Z's current 7+ ERA the Cubs starters have a combined 3.13 average ERA compared to the middle inning and setup guy's 7.67 combined ERA average. So basically the starters haven't been down right dirty, but they have at least given the bullpen something to work with and the 1-4 record the pen is sporting could be the difference between sitting 4GB of the NL Central Lead instead of being Tied for the lead. Too much inexperience in the pen is killing them right now and Z's big arm could be a stop gate and a big help for the short term.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby garf112 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:17 pm

this is beyond dumb. inexcusable dumb.

mets dumb.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers