Yahoo! Waiver Time Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo! Waiver Time Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo! Waiver Time Question

Postby HBNYC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Maybe I am missing something but it seems to me that their is an extra day of waiver period:

Our league is uses these settings:

Waiver Time: 2 days
New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo! adds them
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow

Ike Davis (one example- I am pretty sure I've noticed this in the past) played his first MLB game on Monday Night (4/19). He was added to the Waiver Pool some time Tuesday morning (4/20). If our setting is a two day waiver time, he should be either property of his new team or enter the FA pool on 4/22, and be able to play his first game for his new team on 4/23 correct?

However:

Waiver 1 - Apr 23: Ike Davis dropping J.D. Drew - [Cancel Waiver] ...after clicking...

Note: If successful, this waiver claim will be reflected on your lineup for Saturday, Apr 24. If you've set your lineup in advance for future dates, please note those changes will be reset to match your lineup for the day this player is added.

Is it me or is there an extra day in there?
HBNYC
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo! Waiver Time Question

Postby SumG » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Yahoo is very odd about their waiver systems. A waiver time of 2 days ends up being more like 4 days. The two days waiver time refers to *full* days that a player remains on waivers.

For your example, Davis first plays the 19th. He's added to the free agent pool on the 20th, but this doesn't count as a *full* day on waivers, since he was added to the pool sometime after Yahoo's internal clock reset to the 20th. Therefore, the 21st and the 22nd are the days that satisfy Davis's waiver requirements. When Yahoo's clock rolls over to the 23rd, Davis's time on waivers is complete and any transactions can be processed (waivers or free agents). Because the transaction officially occurs on the 23rd, it doesn't show up on rosters until the 24th.

It's confusing and doesn't make much sense, but I'm sure tons of other people would complain if the system was changed. I think it's something you just have to grin and bear.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HBNYC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:38 pm

SumG wrote:Yahoo is very odd about their waiver systems. A waiver time of 2 days ends up being more like 4 days. The two days waiver time refers to *full* days that a player remains on waivers.

For your example, Davis first plays the 19th. He's added to the free agent pool on the 20th, but this doesn't count as a *full* day on waivers, since he was added to the pool sometime after Yahoo's internal clock reset to the 20th. Therefore, the 21st and the 22nd are the days that satisfy Davis's waiver requirements. When Yahoo's clock rolls over to the 23rd, Davis's time on waivers is complete and any transactions can be processed (waivers or free agents). Because the transaction officially occurs on the 23rd, it doesn't show up on rosters until the 24th.

It's confusing and doesn't make much sense, but I'm sure tons of other people would complain if the system was changed. I think it's something you just have to grin and bear.

Thanks, that makes sense. Well, the explanation makes sense, but who knows about the reasoning, :-D Maybe a factor in this case was that the Mets called him up in the afternoon and he was playing that night? Not enough time to get him into the system?

I thought of changing it to a one day waiver time, but I'd be afraid of instances of Yahoo actually getting it in on time, and ending up with too SHORT a WW period.

Would it be possible for them to have a 2 game period (for the MLB team, not necessarily the player, post-callup)? So in this case, Ike and the Mets would have played 4/19, 4/20, and Davis is a FA (or claimed) on 4/21, and can begin accruing stats 4/22? I think that would be reasonable.
HBNYC
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigmck » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 am

Would it be possible for them to have a 2 game period (for the MLB team, not necessarily the player, post-callup)? So in this case, Ike and the Mets would have played 4/19, 4/20, and Davis is a FA (or claimed) on 4/21, and can begin accruing stats 4/22? I think that would be reasonable.
=========================================================

The Waiver Wire would never be done on a Game Basis. A team would have an off day and that would really confuse things.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:14 am

SumG explained it better than I probably can.

My suggestion is that our league uses the minimum amount of days (1) for both trades and waiver transactions, since the 1 day is really at least 2/3

It was frustrating to make a trade and then wait what seemed like a week before the players appeared on your roster, but going to the 1 day format is a little better and you just get used to the waiting period.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Commissioner's Corner