how do you buy low without a veto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

how do you buy low without a veto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

how do you buy low without a veto?

Postby justink15 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 am

So I went after Justin Verlander because he has had an awful start and in 2008 he was no god so I decided to gamble and offer Mark Buehrle and Jason Heyward.. he accepted and within an hour of the acceptance 4 people vetoed. So when articles and experts say buy low and sell high how can you do that with a veto system, people think they know how every player will end up performing. Is a league right to assume Verlander will have a Cy Young year and Heyward won't hit 30 home runs?

A lot of you are going to say holy molly I would have defiantly vetoed that if i were in your league, but keep in mind I do not know the owner, we were both happy about the trade, we both pay 30 dollars for the league, and I am in last place so it is not making the best team stronger or anything.

Sorry had to vent a little.
Last edited by justink15 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justink15
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: how do you buy low without a veto?

Postby bigmck » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 am

Are you in a Draft League or Auction League? It makes a difference. In an Auction League, the league can establish a reasonable Salary Cap and not need to have a Veto Option. Our league has $260 on Auction Day and $290 during the season. It stops the very uneven trades but gives you enough room to make a few. We do not have a Veto Option.
== In a Draft League it is a bit tricker. You do need some sort of Veto system, but that does not mean it should be used on every trade. The Draft League I run is in its 20th season and there has NEVER been one Veto protest. We have a good group of guys who respect each other. That is key to any league.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:23 pm

that is a horrible veto. Heyward shoudl be good by everything we've seen of him so far.

why cant you use to him to get a slow starting guy

to answer your question...have commish veto..not league veto

or you have to give up a struggling high draft pick guy yourself...nobody can whine if you send a top pick along w the deal...even if he is sucking arse also

but it shouldnt come to that. people need tos top being league police
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Ultimately I have learned that it is not the format its the managers. That trade should have never been vetoed.

The only true way to avoid this is playing in leagues with good managers who understand how to use their vetos.

I personally do not like going with a Commish Veto. I wouldn't want one guy deciding whether a trade is good or not, based on his valuations of a player's worth. Then you deal with the lobbying etc. I just don't like it.

The majority veto system works because it assumes that the majority of owners will have enough common sense to know a bad trade when they see it, or that the majority evaluation of talent in the trade is the correct one. But this goes back to the whole notion that you need to be in a league with good managers.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation in your league.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby justink15 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 am

First of all I would like to say thanks for agreeing with me and for the support. In my league we have both manager veto and then it goes to commish, it says "Max Objections Met: Pending Commissioner Approval".. do you think the cbs commish is going to let it through? I am not familiar with the situation anyone ever have a cbs sportsline commish say no if it was not foul play?
justink15
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

justink15 wrote:First of all I would like to say thanks for agreeing with me and for the support. In my league we have both manager veto and then it goes to commish, it says "Max Objections Met: Pending Commissioner Approval".. do you think the cbs commish is going to let it through? I am not familiar with the situation anyone ever have a cbs sportsline commish say no if it was not foul play?

If you are speaking of the pay CBS leagues, CBS does not do anything on Vetos. That is strickly up to the league.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby justink15 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:06 pm

no they have people working for cbs that make the final decision if the league votes it down.

"In an effort to prevent collusion among owners, and to ensure fair competition, a trade approval process is used. After two owners agree to a trade, the trade will be put in a pending status for at least 24 hours. If four owners in your league object to the trade within the pending time period, the trade will not be executed, but will go to the Commissioner for evaluation. "

That commissioner isn't one of the managers from my league it is someone that works for cbs. That's how the gold league works.
justink15
College Coach
College Coach

Postby angels7777 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:57 pm

in our league, the commish "has control" but it is still essentially a league vote.... it just forces managers to post their reasons for the vetoing the trade as opposed to just pressing a button because you do not want one of your competitors improving their team or the like....
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Return to Commissioner's Corner