Boston Redsox's lineup - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston Redsox's lineup

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Boston Redsox's lineup

Postby tianyi86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:24 pm

I just want to get everyone's take on the lineup for the Redsox. It seems to me that they are not as dangerous as they were in years past. There's not much pop in the top of the lineup and the bottom of the order is a batting average nightmare, filled with hitters on the tail end of their career hitting .250. Is this the year that Boston misses the playoffs? And in terms of fantasy, is it finally safe to start your SPs versus them?
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Boston Redsox's lineup

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Who has 30 HR power in their line up?
Youk? Drew perhaps, but he won't get 500 at bats to prove it.
They also have the sensitive issue of Papi's demise, do they really have the balls to cut him loose early?
I've predicted they won't be top 5 in runs scored, I'm sticking to that.
I'd definitely start my decent SP against them.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MTUCache » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm

I waffled for a while about sitting Liriano against them last week, but I ended up sitting him (and we obviously know how that turned out). After that performance, and watching their production for the last week, I don't think I'll be sitting too many pitchers against them from now on.

Obviously Pedroia, Youk, Ellsbury, etc are still potent hitters, but the rest of that lineup is sketchy at best.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:24 pm

It's not a comforting situation that's for sure, but apparently Casey Kelly is so good thats he's not worth Adrian Gonzalez.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

They have obviously been bad so far, but they are better than this. Ortiz is a lost at the plate right, he is the one person I have real concerns about.

Pedroia is the only batter in the entire lineup who is hitting well right now. Youkilis and Victor Martinez are both potent offensive threats who started this year very sluggish. Drew is a good hitter, and will hit, but he too has begun the year in a slump. Jacoby Ellsbury is the spark plug at the top of the order, and his absence has screwed up the balance of the order putting Scutaro out of place at lead-off.

When Jacoby is healthy and Drew, Youkilis, and Martinez return to form this will be a good offensive team. They won't be as good as the 2003 Red Sox, but they will be good enough.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:It's not a comforting situation that's for sure, but apparently Casey Kelly is so good thats he's not worth Adrian Gonzalez.

I doubt the Padres would accept Casey Kelly.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:36 pm

The pitching in their division has gotten pretty good too. Sure, they don't have to face Halladay anymore, but Marcum/Romero are emerging in Toronto, Matusz in Baltimore, Yankees added Vazquez, and Garza/Price are really emerging in Tampa Bay. Sure, the Red Sox lineup has gotten considerably worse, but the pitching talent has considerably ramped up as well. Too early to write off the Red Sox and their huge budget, but it's going to be an uphill battle finishing ahead of either the NYY or TB.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:37 pm

thedude wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:It's not a comforting situation that's for sure, but apparently Casey Kelly is so good thats he's not worth Adrian Gonzalez.

well Casey Kelly was the centerpiece holding up the deal in the first place. Buchholz, Kelly and some other guys probably Reddick/Kalish was supposed to be the deal but the Red Sox didn't want to part with Kelly.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:
thedude wrote:

well Casey Kelly was the centerpiece holding up the deal in the first place. Buchholz, Kelly and some other guys probably Reddick/Kalish was supposed to be the deal but the Red Sox didn't want to part with Kelly.

They keep losing and you'll quickly find how what they're willing to part with changes.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby skjelstrom » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Ooooo. Imagine if Bucholz did go to SD :-L

But I agree, I think if they keep losing they will be more than willing to part with Kelly....
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers