Is it even worth buying boxes of cards anymore?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Is it even worth buying boxes of cards anymore??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it even worth buying boxes of cards anymore??

Postby bsdo4ever » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:03 am

One jersey card per box.....six jersey and an auto per box with one RC.

Seriously, the only brand I like buying anymore is Bowman because you actually get rookies and it isnt about getting that jersey card limited to 300 even though that brand alone has four other parallels and inserts that end up tallying 2000 jersey cards of that player in that brand alone.
bsdo4ever
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:19 am

The insert craze continues on and on. I basically quit collecting back around '98 due to it. I used to buy sealed boxes and trade the inserts for cards that I wanted with equivalent prices. Unfortunately, the prices of boxes and the value of cards got way out of hand for me. Remember the Flair #1 of 1 inserts? Ridiculous idea to me. I understand producing some limited editions and a few inserts to help boost interest and sales, but it just got way too far out of hand for me. A good example:

'96 Bowman's Best made a Mirror Image insert series. The one I wanted and got was the Mirror Image of Pudge and Piazza. 2 other guys were on the card too, Ben Davis and someone else that I can't remember. Anyway, after landing the regular insert card, I then had to get the Refractor version, and then the Atomic Refractor version.

That's just one insert series out of many. Way too much for me. Maybe I'll get back into cards again, but with so much out there, and the ridiculous prices, it just doesn't interest me as much as it used to.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:21 am

In all that rambling I forgot to mention that if you are a serious collector, buying boxes is probably still the way to go. You get the guaranteed insert(s) along with a better price per pack most of the time.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bsdo4ever » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:52 pm

Yeah I still buy boxes and cards like crazy but I just felt like complaining for some reason. I love collecting so much, and i still enjoy nothing more than to get a jersey or auto, but knowing that I'm going to get one sometimes takes the fun out of it.
bsdo4ever
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:05 am

Madison wrote:Remember the Flair #1 of 1 inserts? Ridiculous idea to me.

Collect the whole set! :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:21 am

Arlo wrote:
Madison wrote:Remember the Flair #1 of 1 inserts? Ridiculous idea to me.

Collect the whole set! :-)

Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Each player had 3 different cards (different picture on the front) and they were all #1 of 1. Meaning if you got one, it was the only one produced in the world. I remember reading about one of the Griffey cards going for around $16,000. Way, way out of my price range for baseball cards.

Granted, that would be a very nice pull if you bought a pack or two. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Arlo » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:29 am

Madison wrote:I remember reading about one of the Griffey cards going for around $16,000.

Time to check for loose change behind the couch! :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bsdo4ever » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:22 pm

haha, yeah but I have gotten a 1/1 before and sold it for 235 bucks on ebay. It was an Ozzie Smith. It was sweet. Just knowing it was the only one out there.
bsdo4ever
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:09 pm

bsdo4ever wrote:haha, yeah but I have gotten a 1/1 before and sold it for 235 bucks on ebay. It was an Ozzie Smith. It was sweet. Just knowing it was the only one out there.

Sweet! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia