Daily Transactions - Yahoo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Daily Transactions - Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daily Transactions - Yahoo

Postby northjersey78 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:14 pm

So this season we decided to switch to the "Daily Transactions" option for our H2H yahoo league. The thinking is that obviously this would allow more flexibility in roster management. However, it seems to be a hindrance for those people that typically cannot get to a computer until night when most of the games have already started. Whenever a game I already in progress, an error will come up if you try to add/ drop that player.

Am I missing something? Is the daily transaction option only good if you are able to get to your lineup early in the day before all games are played?

Next question…if that is the case, can this be switched back? I can’t do it in the commish settings but emailed Yahoo help desk to see what can be done.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daily Transactions - Yahoo

Postby Fantasy Judgment » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Doing daily transactions is burdensome and inherently unfair to those who either can't access a computer or can't access the league website while at work due to firewall restrictions. While it seems to give the impression of a real baseball team manager by making daily switches, it actually takes away from the enjoyment and strategy of fantasy baseball. Depending how you have your league rosters and lineups set up, pitching would be the most common reason to make daily switches depending on who is starting that particular day. If you were to set it to weekly lineups with NO daily changes (except maybe if you allowed a set number of DL substitutions),that would accommodate everyone who does not have the ability to make changes on a daily basis. It also forces your league members to think ahead and commit to a plan on who to start for an entire week. I think this makes fantasy baseball more difficult, more competitive, and as a result more enjoyable.

As far as Yahoo's Commissioner settings go, I have not used their packages so I cannot speak from experience. But I would imagine there is a way for you to change some settings on a going forward basis. Emailing Yahoo was a good idea...hopefully they respond to you. Worst case you can email your league, and in a gentlemen's agreement, request that no one make changes during the week except for one specific time period when the week ends and the next week begins. That may not be perfect, but it may be the only option. If you need any further advice or assistance, please email me at michael.stein@fantasyjudgment.com.
Fantasy Judgment
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 am

I assume you aren't talking about Daily Transactions, but instead:

Allow Roster Changes: Daily - Today

Is that correct?

If so, then you are seeing the exact dilemma. It is nice in that if you are around in the morning, you can do a drop/add and have it take place the same day. It is not nice in that if you don't get around to it until games have started, you start to lose the ability to make lineup changes for those players until the following day. As it stands now, that is the tradeoff. I believe customer care can adjust that for you if you want, assuming you can't; I can never quite remember which options lock down once your season starts. Other notes...

- There is a bug filed because you currently can't submit waiver claims with such players either. This seems unnecessarily rigid, since you won't end up dropping the player on the same day anyway. We want to fix that bug, but it is one of those bugs that we want to look at very carefully so we don't end up making things worse. The waiver processing is complicated.
- As I'm typing, I'm wondering if Daily - Today could be changed to say, "For players who haven't played yet today, then operate on today. For players that have played today, the transaction reverts to Daily - Tomorrow." That seems pretty cool and handy, but again, that isn't a change I'd take lightly. There are lots of funny cases, and if I'm forgetting one, it could make a huge mess.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:20 pm

i see the option that says :"allow roster changes - daily tomorrow"

this is the way its always been in yahoo...i pick up someone...i cant play him until tomorrow

did this change this year to allow me to play a player the day i pick him up? (which is how every other provider does it...and is good)

if so, genie can you have them change my league to daily-today or whatever the other option is....it gets locked down after the draft
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:08 pm

shawngee03 wrote:i see the option that says :"allow roster changes - daily tomorrow"

this is the way its always been in yahoo...i pick up someone...i cant play him until tomorrow

did this change this year to allow me to play a player the day i pick him up? (which is how every other provider does it...and is good)

if so, genie can you have them change my league to daily-today or whatever the other option is....it gets locked down after the draft

Daily - Today used to be a plus only feature. When plus was removed, this option was offered to all leagues.

Your league can be changed if you contact customer care through the help pages, as long as you understand the decision (i.e. the tradeoffs discussed earlier in this thread)
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Gaze » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:- As I'm typing, I'm wondering if Daily - Today could be changed to say, "For players who haven't played yet today, then operate on today. For players that have played today, the transaction reverts to Daily - Tomorrow." That seems pretty cool and handy, but again, that isn't a change I'd take lightly. There are lots of funny cases, and if I'm forgetting one, it could make a huge mess.

That would be ideal for my league. I've had more than a handful of guys email me asking why they can't move a guy for the next day.
Gaze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby northjersey78 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I assume you aren't talking about Daily Transactions, but instead:

Allow Roster Changes: Daily - Today

Is that correct?

Correct.

Wow, seems like a pretty lame rule - it's not at all what we all thought it would be.

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby northjersey78 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:59 pm

How long does Yahoo usually take to respond? I emailed them like a week ago.

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:05 pm

northjersey78 wrote:How long does Yahoo usually take to respond? I emailed them like a week ago.

It varies a lot depending on how busy they are. If you want to PM me the information about your league (NOT your password), I may be able to help you. Depends how swamped *I* am.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner