Absolutely Awful at a Phillies Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Absolutely Awful at a Phillies Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Absolutely Awful at a Phillies Game

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 am

Just to support Snakes here. I heard an interview with this guy and in his defence he said he was so drunk that he thought that he was a big Pez Dispenser and was just trying to give the little girl some candy. He was really trying to be a good guy so lay off the Philly bashing.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:22 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote: im sure you've all heard that story but im sure most dont know why he was pelted with the snowballs. just one of the many stories.

Beacuse the Eagles were 2-12 that season? That's a good reason ;-7

mostly because the "santa claus" was a drunken mess and his beard was falling off, among other things. seems like a good reason to me.

Sounds like you may need to revisit the "Santa Claus incident" yourself.

Frank Olivo -- the erstwhile Santa in question -- wasn't drunk, nor was his red suit in tatters that December day in 1968 when he walked onto the field for the halftime show, only to be met by a chorus of jeers and a snowball fusillade from Eagles fans.

Linkage

Either way the fans of Philly probably get a little more flak than they deserve. They are under the microscope more than other cities around the country. That's just the way it's become for Philly fans, here's 12 reasons why it is that way, including the "Santa Claus incident". Stories of adults intentionally throwing up on children aren't helping their cause.
Last edited by Metroid on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:39 am

also, the "Santa" at that game was some dude they pulled out of the stands in a Santa costume because the real one was unable to make it ... so I'm sure he wasn't expecting to stand in at a halftime show when he pieced his outfit together.

They're not all bad, remeber they cheered for Michael Irvin O:-)

good read

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:41 am

i'm kind of with Snakes Gould here. Anything that fits the almost-pre-scripted, essentially-media-driven-narrative (that was a lot of dashes!) of how the rest of the country views Philly sports fans is going to have legs and become a national story. If this would have happened anywhere else (with the possible exception of a Raiders game), it would probably have been a short story on the local sports pages, because it's Philly, though, and it plays into our prejudices, it's all over the national media. It's the same reason that it becomes a big controversy everytime Terrel Owens opens his mouth--regardless of what he saying--while someone like Peyton Manning could criticize coaches or teammates with near impunity: it fits the narrative.

That said, none of that changes the fact that, whether this happened in Philly or anywhere else, it did happen. The media focus on Philadelphia sports fans doesn't excuse the actions of those fans.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 am

Art Vandelay wrote:The media focus on Philadelphia sports fans doesn't excuse the actions of those fans.

Why does the media focus on Phillie sports fans and not, say, Cincy fans, or San Fran fans?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Because of the media-driven (and some would argue media-created) narrative that Philadelphia sports fans are the worst-behaved of all fanbases in the country. This kind of thing (maybe not this particular thing, though I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened somewhere else too) happens all over the place. I've been spit on and had beer poured on me at Dodger Stadium, I've seen a guy in a Dodgers jersey get assaulted and have his jersey ripped off then burned in San Francisco, etc., etc., etc. Philadelphia doesn't have a monopoly on unruly fans, but it does have a monopoly on the perception that its fans are far worse than everywhere else, so something that would be a local issue everywhere else becomes a national story when it happens in Philly.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 pm

knapplc wrote:Why does the media focus on Phillie sports fans and not, say, San Fran fans?

Yeah dang and blast their Hybrids and hemp blankets (shakes fist)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 pm

I have a hard time believing "the media" just woke up one day and decided to call Philadelphia fans the worst in the country arbitrarily, or that the newsreading audience across the country did, forcing the hand of the media to follow along.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 pm

In some cases I'd agree with Art's viewpoint...maybe in a less ugly incident...but not this one. Anywhere this story happened it was going to be covered. It's disgusting on a whole new level.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:12 pm

There are bad fans everywhere but come on Philly has earned their reputation. People get cursed at, beers get thrown and fights break out at every sporting event. People don't induce vomitting on other fans anywhere else that I've heard of. And you can bet that if someone induces vomitting on a cop and his 11 year old daughter this is going to be news no matter where it took place.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk