Absolutely Awful at a Phillies Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Absolutely Awful at a Phillies Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Absolutely Awful at a Phillies Game

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Before the Red Sox got super popular and the ticket prices went through the roof, you used to see many fist fights in the bleachers during Red Sox-Yankee games. I never saw anything at all like that.

Since tickets got more expensive, and more corporations bought season tickets, there seem to be fewer fights (from my subjective memory).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Metroid wrote:I looks like someone got a nice shot in on that douchebags left eye. ;-D

Dad is a cop. :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigken117 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:if this happens at a padres game, or orioles game, or twins game, i bet the only people who hear about it are the guys in the same section.

East coast bias ;-7

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
perlick29 wrote:And if you want to make the argument that it's just some isolated drunken fans who do this, then why do all these stories seem to keep coming out of Philly?

come on, i know you're more intelligent than this to ask this question...

if this happens at a padres game, or orioles game, or twins game, i bet the only people who hear about it are the guys in the same section. in philly, it was on the front page of the daily news today, as im sure there was mention on espn, or some other national show. hell, it seems like when someone gets boo'ed in philly, it makes espn. we're under the microscope now so nothing ever slides by.

now, i will say that philly fans are probably some of the most harsh fans to out of towners and yeah, it's stupid. im with you there. but if you go to a phillies game, youre not going to get beaten to a pulp, puked on, or get snowballs/batteries thrown at you at every opportunity. its just not like that.

A media conspiracy? It's that... really? Not the drunk slob ramming a sausage finger down his pelican throat to regurgitate the KFC DD he had for lunch all over some 11 yr old? That's newsworthy enough for a mention in the paper but this, this is getting huge coverage. The reason has nothing to do with Philly, as abhorrent as the fans there can be. It's that a cop and his daughter were the victims. Pretty simple, really.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Snakes Gould wrote: im sure you've all heard that story but im sure most dont know why he was pelted with the snowballs. just one of the many stories.

Beacuse the Eagles were 2-12 that season? That's a good reason ;-7

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:09 am

Snakes Gould wrote:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/homepage/20100418_Gonzo___Philly_unfairly_catching_flak_for_ballpark_incident.html

fairly decent article about defending philadelphia and its fans.

I guess I'd expect an article from "philly.com" to be unbiased. ;-7 :-b

Of course there's going to be an overreaction in the media, but at the same time perceptions exist for a reason. Are they overblown? Yes, but you can't completely ignore them. Philly fans have always been among the worst in sports, whether it be black-eye (no pun intended) type incidents like this, or their treatment of players ie McNabb. I've never been to a game in Philly, but I know people who have and said it was not an enjoyable experience. This could be coincidence (being serious), but when stories like this pop up it gives initial impressions like the one I had more merit.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk